• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Disturbing Prices

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I am not sure what you find disturbing, you can spend as much or as little as you want on a bike. There are bikes for every budget. For what you get for $2 ,3,4K is far superior that what you got 5 or 10 years ago.

Brian Finch

Privateer Skier @ www.SkiWithaGrimRipper.com
Industry Insider
I am not sure what you find disturbing, you can spend as much or as little as you want on a bike. There are bikes for every budget. For what you get for $2 ,3,4K is far superior that what you got 5 or 10 years ago.

Hmmmmmm......

In 1992, I spent $400 on a top of the line bike. $400 in 1992 equals $715.08 in 2018.

Lmk what $715, gets you today.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hmmmmmm......

In 1992, I spent $400 on a top of the line bike. $400 in 1992 equals $715.08 in 2018.

Lmk what $715, gets you today.
Sorry, a "top of the line" bike was not $400 in 92. That $700 bike today is going to be a rigid hard tail that will still smoke any $400 bike from 92.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
In 73 spent about $1,000 for a Stella touring frame full Campagnolo components with silk sew-ups and the whole 9 yards. According to Savings.org that would be $5,800 today.

$3,000 to $4,000 doesn't sound that bad for a very high end bike. It is all relative.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
True, but still, 8 k +for a mountain bike?

You can buy a motorcycle for that much.

But it's not going to last.
We will have Chinese bikes within a couple of years, at less than half the price.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
And the problem is, consumers suffer, and the manufacturers are not making that much money, a whole bunch is spent on marketing. As it costs a lot to convince people to buy an expensive bike.

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier
$2,500-3,500 is basically entry level these days. It was $1,500-2500 5-7 years ago. $5-700 is what a decent new fork or rear shock costs

High end is $6,000-10,000+
image.jpeg

It's crazy! I have plenty of friends with bikes worth more than their cars

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Interesting discussion, as I just replaced my 1977 Schwinn Le Tour III with a new Trek FX2 Disc. The Le Tour was $182 in 1977 ($779 in today's dollars). The Trek FX2 Disk was $550 and it is lighter, has disc brakes, index shifting, more gears ......

So I think bike prices for the low-end commuter (I just need a bike) person, today is better than 1977.

So I guess another 41 years and I'll replace the Trek :)

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
True, but still, 8 k +for a mountain bike?
You can buy a motorcycle for that much.
That's exactly what I'm saying. And no, you don't get motorcycle for 8k.... at least around here you get small car (I know I know for your standards that's just scooter with 4 wheels :P ) not just motorbike!!! And no matter that someone might argue 8k worth bike is top of the line bike, it's still JUST a bike. And technology used in bikes is well mildly said unimpressive.... even if bike is full of carbon fiber parts. Technology used in car, even the one in small and cheap cars, is far more complicated and advanced then some carbon fiber frame, made by Chinese guy/girl paid $100/month.
On the other side, I would say you can't really compare bikes and prices now and 20 years ago just like that. If you would compare today's prices and today's salary with bike prices and salaries 20 years ago, I would say ratio is probably similar. Sure you get more today with top of the line bike then you got 20 years ago with same level bike, but that's just technology going forward.
And yes I agree, bikes are way overpriced, so are skis, but I guess all these fits in luxury and not necessity, so prices can be as high as it goes.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
It's crazy! I have plenty of friends with bikes worth more than their cars

I just sold a BMW sedan in excellent condition for $1k less than I paid for my mountain bike last year.

And no, you don't get motorcycle for 8k....

My Ducati was $9k new .....

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
That illustrates the point. The $200. bike won't last three minutes; I'm looking for a bike to last a few years. I don't want to have to changing out the rear sprockets and crank every other year. Will the 300 USD bike @tball showed us last three years?

That three hundred dollar bike might last ten minutes. s for replacing sprockets, if you ride a lot you will be replacing them no matter what they are, and on that $10,000 bike they will cost you more than that department store bike every time!

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
Daughter (she has raced on high end road bikes for years, the last one we built was around 7K) and I were riding our Specialized Sequoia gravel bikes yesterday and I was commenting to her how I thought they were smoking good deals at $2K.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Cyclists only have themselves to blame - the pursuit of the new and shiny and the chasing of marginal gains in quality of experience at high marginal cost. What does $300 more get you at the bottom?- the difference between no bike and tearing it up on local trails on a fully equipped bike. At the top? A slightly plusher shock travel.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Just as an example, if you go to Trekbikes.com and select all Men's Road bikes, it returns 82 results. 4 are under $2k. Granted some of those 82 results are frame-only. I could buy a custom frame for $1200, a 105 gruppo for $400 and still have money left over from $2k. Wow.

Sponsor

Staff online