• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What could be more exciting than reviewing a pair of socks? Well, to be honest, skis, boots, bindings, resorts, helmets...you get the idea. However, in the big scheme of things, socks are vitally important to not only comfort but also the fit and feel of your ski boots. Many threads on Pugski reference socks but speak of them only in generalities such as thin, super thin, too thick, or other descriptors. I bring to you, for your reading pleasure, an actual review!

After trying numerous brands of socks from Farm to Feet, Lorpen, and Thorlo, I was asked to give a pair of Dissent Genuflex Compression Full Protect socks a try. At first blush I thought, "WOW! These are really thick." Out of the package, yes, they are thick. They also appeared several sizes too small for my shoe size 10.5 feet. Well, after putting them on the smallness stretched and, along with it, the socks became much thinner. I like the fact they are foot specific and are marked as L and R. They give a good fit across the toes without any bunching. The toes are seamless. After putting them on, I felt a sudden empathy for ladies who have been putting nylons on for years. These socks are SNUG! You don't just put them on as much as roll them down and work them up bit by bit. They are, after all, compression socks. Like any ski sock it's important to make sure there are no wrinkles and the socks are equally snug all around your foot and leg. Once on they are very comfortable.

20190309_141924.jpg

Off the foot the socks look tiny and thick

20190309_142010.jpg

Socks are marked R and L for your comfort and convenience.

After about a dozen days skiing with them and washing them each time, they still retain their small, thick appearance. They still take a bit of effort to put on. The trade off is a sock that doesn't bunch in your boots or move around your shin and calf. I have bigger calves and appreciate Dissent's consistent fit all the way to the top of my calf without any tighter bands of material as some other socks have. At the end of the day I only have a little line where the grey insert meets the black portion of the sock. With other socks I get a circumferential indentation from the top elastic band that can actually hurt by the end of the day.

20190309_141835.jpg

The shin/calf portion of the socks

The next big question is "are they warm"? Honestly, my feet did get cold one day while wearing these. That was at Big Sky and it was cold. Period. My other socks are no better helping keep my feet warm in my Raptor 140 boots, which have a reputation of being cold boots to begin with. The Dissents are, however, very comfortable in the boots. They are just thick enough to fill in any slightly loose spots without causing pressure in other spots. Moisture wicking was quite good and my feet were dry at the end of each day. This model is full synthetic though Dissent has a hybrid merino wool/synthetic sock and a merino sock with just enough synthetic material to keep its shape. I am going to try the merino wool version to see if there is a noticeable difference in fit, function, and warmth.

At $50 per pair these socks are not inexpensive. However, because of the fit and manufacturing quality these socks have, I wouldn't let the cost scare you away. They appear to be a multi-season sock for all but the highest day-count skiers. For full specs from Dissent take a look here.

Last edited:

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 4 pairs of new Dissents (each worn once) for sale in Gear Swap.....

Did you get to try these out for free? or did you pay the retail price and review them?

Would you buy them?.... if you didn’t get them for free to review?

My EC review of these socks might be different than yours. But...different strokes, for different folks...especially temperature difference between EC and WC. I went immediately back to my Smartwools and have had no issues since.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 4 pairs of new Dissents (each worn once) for sale in Gear Swap.....

Did you get to try these out for free? or did you pay the retail price and review them?

Would you buy them?.... if you didn’t get them for free to review?

My EC review of these socks might be different than yours. But...different strokes, for different folks...especially temperature difference between EC and WC. I went immediately back to my Smartwools and have had no issues since.
Disclosure, yes I got them as a test pair. And yes, I would buy them. I plan on picking up a pair of the merino socks from Dissent.

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have 4 pairs....Looking to sell.....support your local PA resident...(ESHS 89’).....lol.
I don't know what I'd do with 5 pair of socks that should last into the next century!

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don't know what I'd do with 5 pair of socks that should last into the next century!

I know right.....I have like 10 pairs of Smartwool ski socks....why am I always looking for “new” ones??...lol.

I now have 14 pairs.....looking to get back down to a reaonable 10. :D

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
Disclosure, yes I got them as a test pair. And yes, I would buy them. I plan on picking up a pair of the merino socks from Dissent.

Don't.

Get the Nano Tour thin ones, and get a Milspec balaclava while you're there ordering.

I use these Nano tours also at work on oil rigs in safety boots - I had DVT years ago so am on blood thinners (and know what a medical compression sock feels like - like these dissent ones ;-) )

ps roll-on (or spray on) anti-perspirant is just as useful for your feet as your armpits ;-)

They still take a bit of effort to put on

There's a way to get them on easier....
Don't try just pulling them on per normal.

Stuff your hand and arm down inside them, then pull the leg part down so you invert that part of the sock over the forefoot bit that your hand is in. You can now take that off your arm/hand and pull the forefoot bit of sock over so it just gets past your heel... and then you can pull up the rest of the leg part of the sock.

More or less like this youtube on putting on CEP compression socks (the Dissent look to be a higher compression than the CEP in this video), but hope this gives you the right idea... yes, a video on how to put on a sock (!!) but anyone who's had to wear medical compression socks... or the full thigh high compression ones will tell you, it's a struggle.

Last edited:

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Ha! Putting on compression socks FTW!! Definitely a skill - and always make sure you get the correct sock on the correct foot. Started with some CEPs, took 10 minutes of struggle to get one sock on, only to discover that it was on the wrong foot. It took over 20 minutes to finally get everything completed properly and I was exhausted! Now It only takes me 2-3 minutes to get them on. Definitely make a significant difference with older (ahem) legs. Nice work Andy! Would love to hear some direct comparisons between CEP and Descent.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
So I’m intrigued by the idea of compression socks for skiing. I’ve only ever worn them post surgery. Are these actually tight & uncomfy (top band cut into your calf) like medical compression socks? Or kinda a combo of ski sock with some compression?

TS
Andy Mink

Andy Mink

SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
So I’m intrigued by the idea of compression socks for skiing. I’ve only ever worn them post surgery. Are these actually tight & uncomfy (top band cut into your calf) like medical compression socks? Or kinda a combo of ski sock with some compression?
They are very snug but comfy. No band cut. Wore them again today in 11° and was good.

MarkG

Stuck on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Awesome, compression ski socks. In theory, with improved blood circulation, I'd think your socks would be warmer. Should also assist slightly with fatigue? If none of that was noticeable, I'd think the answer to an earlier question about a medical compression level of compression would be...no. But there might be minor compression benefits. Anybody ever wear CEPs as ski socks? Interesting idea. Certainly thin enough.

FWIW, I love my ultrathin smartwool phds.

GNARpts

Booting up
Skier
I’m actually really surprised that a compression sock works for you with a typical cold-running boot. Any time I’ve tried compression I’ve found that my feet get colder. So much so that I’ve thrown them out, and am now in almost exclusively smartwool phds.

I’m really looking forward to trying some of the new Le Bent socks coming out soon.

Thanks for the review.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

They are very snug but comfy. No band cut. Wore them again today in 11° and was good.

IIRC these socks are the version that has a generous top band compared to their other compression socks.

mallthus

Booting up
Skier
Anybody ever wear CEPs as ski socks?

I’ve had the actual CEP ski compression socks for 4 seasons now. I find them to pretty exactly mirror Andy’s comments on these Dissent socks. One issue is that if I wear them too long, I start to get some skin reaction. They’re not a sock I can put on in the morning, drive to the slopes, ski in all day, and then après in. Gotta bring an after ski sock.

I also have some Bridgedale compression ski socks, which are vastly inferior and have been relegated to laundry emergency backup socks.

In theory, with improved blood circulation, I'd think your socks would be warmer. Should also assist slightly with fatigue?

Wouldn’t better blood flow from compression yield potentially warmer feet?

I’ve been wearing the CEP compression ski socks for a few years now and find that they are very warm and that I find they’re at least marginally useful in managing fatigue.

Attachments

• F5B6CBC9-A078-4054-9B52-A09366C7810C.jpeg
    F5B6CBC9-A078-4054-9B52-A09366C7810C.jpeg
    63.5 KB · Views: 15

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Top quality ski socks are a blessing so I can only whole heartily agree in a good review. Maybe this should become a staple of the site to further review other ski socks to help our members (and other guests looking for information) distinguish between the good and bad.

Good write up.

Paul Lutes

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I find compression socks to be of value fatigue-wise on long drive/flight ski expeditions i.e. in route, as well. Cuz ..... old, veiny legs :eek:

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I used these all season... Not sure what to say, i dont think they feel warmer compared to my regular thin socks.

They are marked left and right because they have a.bit of padding in certain places, to protect better - otherwise they are pretty thin.

Not easy to put on and take off... they are tight!

I don't have an opinion either way, honestly. I don't think I would buy again... they do seem to last a while, but I have custom fit liners (no rubbing or such).

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I have 5 pairs of the Tour. After I bought the first pair, I retired every other other ski sick I own to wader (fly fishing) duty. I can't imagine using anything else now.

Sponsor

Staff online