• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Discussion with Northstar patroller on injuries

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Yep, neurologist said in rare cases severe trauma can bring on Bells without the virus. Limb thru cheek with accompanying sutures etc.
Although I am better my face is still paralyzed on the right corner of my mouth and the corner of my right eye.
Learn something new every day!

Reading your story does make me so grateful that it's only a little eye and mouth paralysis. A few inches in the wrong direction and you wouldn't be here to share your wisdom. Sending good thoughts...........

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Learn something new every day!

Reading your story does make me so grateful that it's only a little eye and mouth paralysis. A few inches in the wrong direction and you wouldn't be here to share your wisdom. Sending good thoughts...........

Didn't mean to steal this thread. My wife agrees with you. Especially after one of my best friends and long time ski and race partner died at Squaw when he fell in a chute off KT and was killed when he hit the trees. I feel lucky.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
Wonder if percentage wise there are just a lot more beginner and intermediate skiers out there to be injured. Seems most calls are green and blue slopes. I know if anybody on the patrol gets hurt they try to slink out on skis or their board. Seems that way with a lot of the more advanced skiers. They either find you in the lodge or walk into First Aid.

TS
Calbearski

Calbearski

Booting up
Skier
Is every event a patroller is involved with reported? The reason I ask is a few weeks ago while in the lodge at Northstar, a patroller was tending to a cut on an older gentleman’s head. The discussion I heard was the gentleman was hit on the head by the Arrow Express chair (did not explain how it happened), and after the patroller tended to him, indicated he needed the man to come with him to do some paperwork.

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
On the mountain I patrol, every first aid has paperwork to go with it. If a lift is in the mix even more paperwork.

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Is every event a patroller is involved with reported?
Where I work, every event where care is provided, and even when a patroller feels care is in order but refused, paper reports are required.

Though providing a bandaid type events is overlooked.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Where I work, every event where care is provided, and even when a patroller feels care is in order but refused, paper reports are required.

Though providing a bandaid type events is overlooked.
Same here.

Now that I am a patroller, I have some empathy for the patrollers who inquired about my condition in the past.

"Are you ok?
Yeah, I just broke a rib - Again!
Can you take a deep breath?
Sure.
How did that feel?
Feels like I just broke a rib.
Would you like a toboggan ride off the hill?
No thanks; I'm not coughing up blood. I'll just keep skiing and not make any hard turns."

"Excuse me, I notice your holding your arm would you like some help? No, I just broke my wrist - again damn it!
Would you like me to put that in a sling. Nah, I'll just hold it for now and keep skiing without poles. I'll go get a cast put on it after the hill closes."

I wonder if they filed any reports.

If someone looks hurt, but refuses treatment we generally follow them around for a while, just in case they drop.

Sponsor

Staff online