• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Discman dust collector

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think I may be the last person still using a Discman, but if you are too (@Jamt), there is a new magnet that goes on the front and I highly recommend it. It is Discman Abrasive Dust Collector, part number 55-100-689. You can order it from Wintersteiger in the U.S. or MBAS everywhere else. As far as I know it will fit any generation of Discman, and picks up an incredible amount of dust that was going in the air. Also, there seem to be two new grinding stones available from MBAS, an extra coarse (white) and a medium (purple). These are not in the Wintersteiger catalog.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
thanks for the tip

hbear

Out on the slopes
Skier
Lots of dust with machines, almost should have a downward venting system like a simplified system they have in paint booths...no matter what magnet or how many I still find metal dust particles everywhere.

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I have resorted to rearranging my work shop to give sharpening its own area away from the rest of the tuning (waxing) equipment. I've been considering rigging something up with fans and a vacuum, but I tend to do this work when the rest of the house is sleeping so I don't want to be too noisy. I have considered magnets but I don't think have a feeling of it being a band aid and not a solution.

@BGreen Is this the one you are talking about? I could find much doing a search on the web.

upload_2017-12-15_7-44-12.png

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've been considering rigging something up with fans and a vacuum, but I tend to do this work when the rest of the house is sleeping so I don't want to be too noisy.

I haven't use my new Razor tune yet. Will have to see how bad the dust situation gets.
May rig up something like what I see on the Carrot. basically a vinyl tube with a fitting. Will have to see.

Festool and Bosch are both very efficient, quiet and expensive.
A good and less expensive alternative is Fein.
All of them have nice features like auto tool start switches.

TS
BGreen

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
@L&AirC That’s the one. Definitely not as effective as the Carrot, but I’ll take it.

TS
BGreen

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
UPDATE: Unfortunately, the dust collector is a disaster, please don’t use it. Rather than ejecting the heated magnetic dust into the air, the magnets hold it against the plastic. As a result, there is slight melting and discoloration of the body, and it heats the guides and makes them extremely hard to remove. I may go with @jzmtl’s thought and glue a strong magnet on the outside of the lower cup.

If you look at the picture that @L&AirC posted above, you can see exactly where the problem is.

Sponsor