• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dirty or clean, which bike is a happy bike?

Dirty or clean?

• Dirty bike. Happy bike

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • Clean bike. Happy bike

Votes: 11 61.1%

• Total voters

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
1F2EFEE4-AD0A-48B2-8250-1A82B4C12B29.jpeg

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
OK, I thought so but wasn't sure. Have you changed the oil and plugs yet? :).
No, but do you know how hard it is to find a 10 mile long extension cord?

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Road Bike - Clean & polish.
Mountain Bike - Not so much. Dusty, but not muddy. Have to wash it so it works smooth. I used to use S100. Makes all the alloy parts sparkle. Spray on , rinse off.
Shopping Bike - ??? Not in recent or distant memory

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
probably due to different soil composition. Riding or even walking on muddy trails causes ruts which dry out and lead to trail damage. Its taken quite seriously here. People will get very mad if you ride on muddy trails. they are legally closed. the rule is if you leave a foot print or a tire trail, they are too soft. there are trail status pages that post up the open and closed trails.
No, it’s east vs west.

A gentle reminder, it’s so green and lush in the east because it rains every other day! So if you wait for the trail to dry, you never get to ride much! Maybe 3 time a year?

Only exception is spring time. Trails are CLOSED till the melting snow drained away. But after that, it’s fair game!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Well..it depends..it rains..but also the soil is usually either clay, organic goop over rock or muskeg. the sandy places are nice but not often found. it's not so bad when it all dries out in july/august..until a thunderstorm makes it muck again..

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Well..it depends..it rains..but also the soil is usually either clay, organic goop over rock or muskeg. the sandy places are nice but not often found. it's not so bad when it all dries out in july/august..until a thunderstorm makes it muck again..
The only soil that dries immediately after a thunderstorm is sand. Everything else, takes hours to dry off.

And thunderstorm is a daily occurrence in many part of the east. So, no riding for several hours after thunderstorm is literally no riding most days.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I don’t bother keepIng my bike clean. But if it creaks... it drives me nuts!

SAME! I've developed pretty good "creak sense" over the years, but failed yesterday, even after complete disassembly of the rear suspension. Gave up, and sprayed the bike down with a mildly aggressive solvent -- which I never do -- to take it down to the LBS pros.

And the creak disappeared! I'll take the win.

No, but do you know how hard it is to find a 10 mile long extension cord?

Closest I could find:

And one is hanging on the wall of my garage!

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I have a road bike, so obviously it doesn't get that dirty. It's also a carbon frame and it's beautiful (IMHO) and I feel better looking it over periodically for cracks, chips, etc. I just take soap and water and a soft brush and go to work. Polish it up with a little car Turtle Wax (the brand I purchased years ago because it was the one on sale).

Seems to work. Takes 15, 20 minutes every month or so.

That said, I haven't washed the car since I got it. Seriously. Why bother? Which reminds me of a (possibly true) story involving Sean Kelly and his (presumably now ex) wife who exploded at him one time saying "your priorities are your cars first, then your bikes, and then me!" to which Kelly (supposedly) calmly responded "you've got it wrong; the bike come first".

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
No, it’s east vs west.

A gentle reminder, it’s so green and lush in the east because it rains every other day! So if you wait for the trail to dry, you never get to ride much! Maybe 3 time a year?

Only exception is spring time. Trails are CLOSED till the melting snow drained away. But after that, it’s fair game!

Policy "round here" is don't ride the trails for 24 hours after rain. Some places drain and dry faster and we have been known to stretch that rule. Mostly though we stay off for a day. Trails 'round here always have some muddy spots and usually some stream crossings anyway.

Oh and my bikes get washed maybe once a year...about as often as I tune my skis.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Policy "round here" is don't ride the trails for 24 hours after rain. Some places drain and dry faster and we have been known to stretch that rule. Mostly though we stay off for a day. Trails 'round here always have some muddy spots and usually some stream crossings anyway.

Oh and my bikes get washed maybe once a year...about as often as I tune my skis.
‘Round here being Westchester?

I never knew there’s a 24hr moratorium. Parks like Blue Mountain, the trails are so rocky water never pools. In fact, it’s kind of “extra challenge” to ride the slippery rocks. (Not that Blue needs any extra challenge, not for me anyway)

Sponsor

Staff online