• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Directing Pressure Along the Length of the Skis

James

Out There
Instructor
I don’t know about that. The recreational skier has that one hop in the air; no BOS. Whereas, MS appears to be in contact w snow 110% of the time. But, I get your point. In transition, MS is very light.
Yes, the hop. It's a moment, and they come basically down on two feet underneath the body.

In the large offset portion where turns are more similar shape to the gifster:
There's very little weight if any on Mikaela's skis till pretty much the fall line. Can't really tell how much, but there's no snow spray. She's certainly not carving the top of the turn. That would be slow. Chops the whole thing off.

She's way inside by the time they hook up and refirect her. If the outside ski doesn't grip, she's likely falling. Might be able to save it with the inside. Coming through transition, it's a pretty big bet on future stability/balance with skis already at a large edge angle right when the pressure comes on.

(Same video slowed down)
The large offset turns after 0:29-

Last edited:
TS
karlo

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Coming through transition, it's a pretty big bet on future stability/balance with skis already at a large edge angle right when the pressure comes on.

Yeah, that guy lying on the snow, he’s making a pretty big bet. But, it being MS, it’s a bet he wins. If that were me, skiing that at that speed...? He could be a big, big loser.

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
No, nothing wrong at all. But, to carve without rotary, of the legs of course, that would be problematic. :)

That all depends on if you are turning the skis or if your balance, edging and pressure skills are employing the ski to turn you.