• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dipping my toe in the tuning pool

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I have recently taken the plunge toward starting to do my own tuning at home, and am looking for some feedback on my routine. As background, I am a recreational skier getting about 30 days a year, all out West, in 5-7 day trips. I currently ski Blizzard Bonafides and Brahmas. Edges set at 0.5/2. No racing/competition/park skiing. I started doing my own waxing last season, and this season I'm trying to take up edge work. I don't have any in-person resources, so everything I do is based on stuff I've picked up on here, as well as numerous (frequently contradictory) Youtube vids. Below is my routine, with a few questions I'd like to clear up in my head (i've put these in bold).

-wipe down skis with cloth and get rid of visible soilage
-base work: identify significant scratches/divots on the base, clean area with base cleaner/rubbing alcohol, drip in p-tex, scrape with metal scraper
-edge work. examine edges for damage/burrs. Debur with diamond stone. Should I be deburring with a file, a diamond stone, or a gummy stone? Should this be done with an edge guide set to my edge angles (e.g. 88*) or by hand? After deburring, I'm currently just trying to do side-edge maintenence and leave my base edges alone (I have the local shop do a tune twice/season). I'm doing this with coarse-->fine diamond stones in an 88* guide. Is this a reasonable way to maintain my side edges, and are the tools appropriate? Polish with gummy stone.
-Wax. Wipe down bases with rubbing alcohol. Brush with wire brush. Wax (currently been using LF6 or universal alpine wax). Let cool. Scrape until I stop getting shavings. Brush with series of finer brushes. Rub down with fiberlene cloth. Is fiberlene helpful/necessary? It seems to get last bits of wax dust off the base. Is fiberlene a single-use product or can I just keep a sheet around in the shop until it seems dirty?

So that's my plan. I'd love to hear y'all's feedback, constructive or otherwise. Just want to get a good routine down and keep my skis ready to go. Thanks in advance!

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Debur with a diamond or Arkansas stone 200 grit at the same side edge bevel you normally use.

Polish edges with diamond 200 grit is what I use others use the finer stones but rocks are plentiful in these parts for my skiing

File the edges if the above doesn’t render sharp enough edges for your tastes

Don’t bother with alcohol on bases it will dry them out needlessly

I use fiberlane on last pass while waxing to draw excess wax off the base and make my scraping easier

Scrape n brush till you got the wax out of the ski

Have an adult beverage
some can do this during the process but I tend to loose interest in anything but the adult beverage was once I get hold of the first one
Your mileage may vary

NE1

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Deburring routine sounds good - I kind of "eyeball" how aggressive a grit will be needed depending on the severity of the burr; use the finest one that will do the job (including ceramic if sufficient). Bottom deburring hand-held only very lightly as necessary. Side done with a guide.
I'm a fan of hot wax cleaning rather than base cleaner or alcohol (ymmv).
Toss fiberline with great regularity; it's cheap...

Talisman

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have an adult beverage
some can do this during the process but I tend to loose interest in anything but the adult beverage was once I get hold of the first one
Your mileage may vary

Lots of detail on the deburring, but very little detail on this important step. Avoid wheat beer if possible, sticking to IPAs usually brings the best results. Most shot skis don't requiring much tuning.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier
Lots of detail on the deburring, but very little detail on this important step. Avoid wheat beer if possible, sticking to IPAs usually brings the best results. Most shot skis don't requiring much tuning.
On that you are wrong
A shot ski will require a full detune tip to tail to enhance grip
You don’t wanna spill expensive liquor