• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DIN settings ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
FIFY. The chart is to help figure out what your initial setting should be, the binding should still be tested. It is NOT what is in the window that is the detemining factor to what the binding will release at. @Dwight posted that as I was typing...

Sorry to be so anal here. I am not so much replying to the misinformation posted here but to the people who are just reading this thread and not either members of the site but lurkers.

Oh yeah, testing the bindings at least once a season is basically mandatory.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The DIN charts give a great starting point to set Bindings, and overall do a good job.

The higher end skiers (those that understand what they need, want and most importantly the risks involved) adjust up or DOWN from those settings. Obviously up is definitely not approved by the ski industry for insurance reasons. The down can just as risky as a fall from a pre-release can just as bad.

My simple rule is you have to ask (how to adjust or what setting and so on)

DON’T!

Leave to the experts.

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Sorry, skill level, physical condition and strength play absolutely NO roll in how a binding is set.

skier-typev2.jpg

The only factors that have to do with how a binding is set:
  • Skier Type (see above chart)
  • Weight
  • Height
Not...
  • Ability
  • Skill Level
  • Condtion/Strength
  • Binding Brand

We tend to associate Skill Level with aggressiveness, need for speed and steep. I will admit that back in my early years of skiing (didn't start until late teens) that association was mostly in my own mind.

TS
P

Phaceplanter

Booting up
Skier
Well, thats one variable that is taken out. Just out of curiosity, what is the sole lenght of the boots? It is on the heel (usually) on the side.

310mm. I thought I saw the ski binding read 290, but that can't be right?

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Sorry, but that site is WRONG. It is NOT Beginner/Intermediate/Advance and it is NOT "Under 16" for the skier's age, it is "Under 10". How a site can publish such misinformation and use "Professional DIN Calculator" it's title is beyond me. These parameters are not interpretation..they are black and white. This site was referenced once before here and I contacted them at that point to change these errors and they still haven't. As they say..."You have one job to do..." :nono:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Sorry, but that site is WRONG. It is NOT Beginner/Intermediate/Advance and it is NOT "Under 16" for the skier's age, it is "Under 10". How a site can publish such misinformation and use "Professional DIN Calculator" it's title is beyond me. These parameters are not interpretation..they are black and white. This site was referenced once before here and I contacted them at that point to change these errors and they still haven't. As they say..."You have one job to do..." :nono:

Weird I got the same number using the site as I have in several shops I have used. Dang. (DIN 8.5, Level III, 185 lb, 6'-2", 312mm BSL).

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The calculator I like, the Android app
Screenshot_20180210-170425.jpg

is ALMOST right. It does the numbers right but the labels say "Beginner/Cautious", etc instead of "Type I" etc.

The point is that skier type is NOT skill level, it is your risk tolerance. Even on the official wording about balancing retention vs release is a namby-pamby way of saying you are willing to accept a greater chance that your binding will injure you before it releases, in exchange for more confidence that it will not let go too soon.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This one wrong as well???
Based on a limited spot check, the numbers are right and they say Type I.II, III. I didn't look to see what explanation they have.
Here is a manual table for comparison.
Screenshot_20180210-172709.jpg

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
and the instructions.
Given how much trouble most people have following directions, a calculator is a good idea!
Screenshot_20180210-173033.jpg

Eric267

Gettin after it
Skier

As someone that isn't super mechanically inclined I've learned to leave bindings and mountain bike shocks to the experts. I only feel confident with minor adjustments. That being said both charts came up with my correct din

6'1
175-180
36yr
29.5/336bsl

Type III = 8 III+ = 9.5

Current din setting.. 9

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
The pictures showing type I II and III would lead one to believe that the skier type is equivalent to skill level...

The DIN setting from the industry standard charts can be a great starting point. Your skiing experience might indicate the need for minor adjustments (e.g. too early release, or releasing when not necessary). If that happens often, you should double-check the boot soles for snow/ice, and then perhaps adjust a minor amount higher DIN setting.

Skiing is a human athletic endeavor. It has a huge range of style, ability, skill, speed, strength,and force vectors. Hopefully (and I suspect it is true), the allowable "safe" DIN setting for a particular skier is not a tight narrow band, but rather a range of settings that are adequately low enough to reduce the chance of injury, and adequately high enough to prevent pre-release.

Skiers at the extreme ends of the scales may not be able to achieve a setting that is "safe". (e.g. An extremely week-boned or ligament-impaired person. Or the strongest, fastest, most aggressive downhill racer). In the one case, a safe setting would lead to premature releases. In the other case, the setting adequate to prevent pre-release will occasionally not release before some leg damage is done.

For us recreational skiers, the chart is an excellent starting point and MINOR adjustments after on-the-snow experience may be needed.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
As a shop rat that works on Saturdays cranking out hundreds of drill jobs, system installs, remounts and adjusts...from 10am to close all winter long.....

I can say that every ski I touch.. I am setting the DIN according to the current chart of that brand and then adjusting accordingly to the accompanying binding test. I am certified by all the companies we carry and have to sign off on every job I do.....

-Marker
-Salomon
-Look
-Tyrolia

If you don’t trust the DIN that is being set by the shop......

Go ahead change it yourself.....But just know....YOU changed the setting.....and my signature is now void...

*Reason for my semi rant was an express install this am. The guy came up as an 8 on the Look chart today (Pivot 18). I went out to give him a heads up.....cuz he requested them set at 14. I told him about the “official” setting, and that I had to make a note on the paperwork of his request.

No worries...for me or him...but I wanted him to know the “difference”.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Oh yeah, testing the bindings at least once a season is basically mandatory.
I field test my binding release at least once per year :D;).
The last few years they seem to release with the appropriate degree of force. However, I noticed on my last testing, that the next day my knee was a little sore. It wasn't sore on the day of testing. I have an old knee injury (at least one). Maybe it was arthritis due to the weather, but to be safe, and since I'm not skiing as crazy stuff at as crazy speeds as I was when my testing lead to me notching them up, I think I'll turn them down by 0.5.

BTW the chart with my boot sole, age, height and weight and 3+ puts me at 7. I'm going to turn them down to 8. 7 would not hold them on to my feet skiing rough terrain with minimum turning, just due to impacting bumps at high speed. I guess old guys aren't supposed to ski that aggressively in that terrain. Or maybe 50 years of learning to absorb isn't enough.:huh:

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Correct. If everthing else is the same. Please show me on the chart where there is an adjustment for Female or Osteoporosis?
There isn't one, but that should not stop someone to make adjustments to the recommended setting. I know I do, ski at 11, even though for my age, 68, and weight I should be at 7.

Last edited:

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Does someone have a translation from "DIN setting" to real force units? I'm curious to know if the DIN setting is linear?

(i.e. If DIN 4 is 2lbs, does that mean DIN 8 is 4 lbs? )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online