• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Different Toe and Heel Binding DIN?

NateR

Booting up
Skier
Hello all,

Did a quick search on here and nothing came up - a general Google search yielded several threads on the topic in other forums, but they're either 1. in the context of park skiing, or 2. didn't come up with what is in my mind a definitive answer.

What is the general opinion here on running a different DIN in the toe than the heel?

The reason I ask is this: I've been slowly working my DIN up based on pre-releases while skiing. At 9, I believe the toe piece is good (I've only had one time where I've come out of the toe piece when I shouldn't have at that setting). However, the heel piece is still pre-releasing at 10 when on steep bump runs. It's often fine, but it's those runs that I'm in the zone and I'm really going at it, when I end up pressuring the tip really hard on one turn and find myself supermanning headlong down the run.

My main concern is not wanting to turn my toe DIN up any higher than needed, since I haven't had any issues with rotating out of that one, just coming straight up out of the heel.

Any thoughts?

Thanks
Nate

newfydog

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I run my toes at 7, heels at 10. Never pre-release at the toe, occasionally blow a heel.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
I know some guys who run 1-2 notches higher on the heel than they do on the toe... This is specifically for non-race Tyrolia bindings (e.g. freeflex 12, 14, PRD 12, 14, etc.). Apparently those bindings are prone to pre-release... I've never experienced it though.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not at all uncommon to run a bit higher on the heel. In the wrong situation, pre-releasing can have pretty significant consequences.

I used to do it every year before the Boys Trip to Jackson Hole. No longer seems necessary, but that's probably more a comment on my advancing age and relative level of aggression than anything else.

nemesis256

Patrick
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Just last week I increased my heel din on my Tyrolia Attack 13 after pre releasing and loosing a ski in powder. I've been at 5.5 everywhere, heels are now 6. What bothers me is on Marker Griffons, doing a carpet test, I can't release the heel by pulling my leg up at 5.5 but on the Attack I need to be set to 6 before I can't release it. Thought these numbers were supposed to be standardized!

Mike Thomas

Whiteroom
Industry Insider
The DIN scale IS standard, what isn't standard is how individual bindings work with individual boots... which is why we say "test your bindings". (not by standing on a carpet, with a torque tester.)

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Just last week I increased my heel din on my Tyrolia Attack 13 after pre releasing and loosing a ski in powder. I've been at 5.5 everywhere, heels are now 6. What bothers me is on Marker Griffons, doing a carpet test, I can't release the heel by pulling my leg up at 5.5 but on the Attack I need to be set to 6 before I can't release it. Thought these numbers were supposed to be standardized!

Doing a carpet test can lead to a self inflicted injury.

The DIN Chart is a release/retention starting point.

Sponsor