• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Eggs don't really need to be refrigerated. Sailors take them to sea for months without refrigeration. I still feel better keeping them in the frig though.

if uncleaned yes no refrigeration, if scrubbed you have to refrigerate them.

There really is no objective reason to chill unscrubbed eggs, the literally can last 7-9 months if in a cool place. Its like they come prepackaged.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Maybe @geepers can tackle this questionable statement.

According to Dr Google...
Over-hydration and water intoxication happens when you drink more water than the kidneys can get rid of via urine. Kidneys can eliminate about 5.3-7.4 gallons (20-28 liters) of water a day, but they can't get rid of more than 27-33 ounces (0.8-1.0 liters) per hour.

Ok, so say 2-3 liters in relatively short period of time.

We're around 60% water so a 83kg (183lb) person has around 50 liters. That'd be 4%-6%. I guess we'd call that a few percent.

Whereas there's probably not a lot of, say, cyanide in the average human. Like virtually none. So although only 3mg/L is typically fatal that would be a vast increase in concentration.

So maybe @CalG is correct given the wording.

Don't know about everyone else but I reckon over 1 liter of water per hour is lot of water to 'accidentally' drink. I'm generally more concerned with dehydration when doing physical stuff like skiing or coping with the heat. Contrary to popular belief a cup of coffee does not contain enough caffeine (which is a diuretic in higher doses in some people) to cause issues so a coffee break is good. But alcohol does so beer is not going to help.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you know...
Today is Bobby Bonilla Day

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you know that we humans are more sensitive to being "poisoned" by WATER than any other substance?
A few percent water imbalance one way or the other can lead to severe consequences.

But things like strychnine, chlorine gas, etc require exposures and concentrations hundreds of times the "normal" to result in difficulties.

But, when the unit of measure is ppm (parts per million) it seems like a little goes a long way to meeting the LD 50 .

Water, poison! And yet another totally convincing argument to drink beer. :D :coffee:

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you know...
Today is Bobby Bonilla Day
Haha, that always infuriates Mets fans. The Mets were earning quite a good percentage of interest on their money so they were thinking it would be cheaper to pay him that way.

There was a slight problem. The money was invested with Bernie Madoff.

Apparently there's another contract with the Mets and Orioles that Bonilla gets $500,000/yr for these days too.

Check this one out-
--------------------------
Bruce Sutter:
Signed a deal with the Braves before the 1985 season with deferred money. He was to be paid $750,000 per year while with the Braves, then for 30 years after he retired, he'd receive at least $1.12 million per year. The Braves will be paying him through 2020. He received the $750,000 figure in 1989 and 1990 because he retired with two years left on the six-year deal, so his 30 years of the other installments didn't begin until 1991.
-----------------------
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/27078321/happy-bobby-bonilla-day-why-mets-pay-119m-every-july-1

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Water, poison! And yet another totally convincing argument to drink beer. :D :coffee:
EGGS-ACTLY!

Beer and Apple Cider (hard) is exactly why bad water was invented.

Or maybe it is the other way 'round....

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Over-hydration and water intoxication happens when you drink more water than the kidneys can get rid of via urine. Kidneys can eliminate about 5.3-7.4 gallons (20-28 liters) of water a day, but they can't get rid of more than 27-33 ounces (0.8-1.0 liters) per hour.

We're around 60% water so a 83kg (183lb) person has around 50 liters. That'd be 4%-6%. I guess we'd call that a few percent.

Whereas there's probably not a lot of, say, cyanide in the average human. Like virtually none. So although only 3mg/L is typically fatal that would be a vast increase in concentration.

Don't know about everyone else but I reckon over 1 liter of water per hour is lot of water to 'accidentally' drink. I'm generally more concerned with dehydration when doing physical stuff like skiing or coping with the heat. Contrary to popular belief a cup of coffee does not contain enough caffeine (which is a diuretic in higher doses in some people) to cause issues so a coffee break is good. But alcohol does so beer is not going to help.

You catch my meaning well.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The banana is not a fruit. It is a herb.

A banana is easily split into three equal portions , just message the fruit a bit on the end prior to peeling, then poke the end a bit to get the sections to part. Run the seams, and VIOLA! three parts!

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
A banana is easily split into three equal portions , just message the fruit a bit on the end prior to peeling, then poke the end a bit to get the sections to part. Run the seams, and VIOLA! three parts!

James

Out There
Instructor
To who wins, sure... but that doesn't mean they don't track it. Every team does and you can find pitch count stats on pitchers. I don't know if it's an "official" stat, but baseball-reference.com lists Pitcher/Start as a metric for starting pitchers. And you can search all games by number of pitches thrown.

What I don't know, is whether or not the pitch count is affected by interference plays.
They track everything, so what?
If the umpire counts it, then it matters to the game. Just like tennis doesn't count points. These days they track where every shot went. Doesn't matter in the slightest to winning or losing.

How many pitches are thrown is very relevant to evaluating a pitcher, so it's tracked. If he throws a pitch, it's counted and tracked as a ball/strike. It's important to know. They don't uncount it for some interference call, making the original statement of the pitch not counted as doubly absurd.

There's plenty of ways to theoretically have very few pitches in a game. Esp since an official game could only be 4 1/2 innings if it starts to rain and the home team is ahead. No need to invent one that doesn't exist by claiming an untruth. None of those things ever happen though, so it's not really relevant to a "did you know" thread.

James

Out There
Instructor

You got sucked in down the rabbit hole he setup.

Something is not poisonous if it's essential to life. No water, no life.

Excess water is a problem because of the amount of sodium in the blood gets too low, but the intricacies of that are way too complicated and beyond my understanding. So too much water can be hazardous but that doesn't make water poisonous.
It may be true that too much water intake is more of a health threat to athletes, esp runners, than too little water.
https://www.mdalert.com/article/eve...-are-injured-by-hyponatremia-than-dehydration

Alcohol is always a toxin. We don't use water to sterilize things, but alcohol. It kills living cells. Very hot water is used, but that's a heat delivery system.
Beer can be and often is poisonous in more ways than one. Related to the effect of too much water, hyponatremia (low blood sodium), there's a condition called Beer Potomania.

"Potomania is the excessive consumption of alcoholic beverages; beer potomania is used to refer to a dilutional hyponatremia caused by excessive consumption of beer. First recognized in 1971, this cause of hyponatremia is not the most common but should be in the differential if the patient is a heavy alcohol imbiber who presents with encephalopathy and low serum sodium."
https://www.mdedge.com/clinicianreviews/article/86834/nephrology/hyponatremia-beer-potomania

In the US, 6 people a day die of alcohol poisoning. That's just straight poisoning from too much alcohol. So that's nearly 2,200/yr.
But alcohol attributable deaths are huge. 88,000 per year in the US.
https://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2014/13_0293.htm

Stats on hyponatremia are more difficult. Doesn't appear to be many deaths from it directly. Maybe 6 per decade. More because of drug side effects and existing health issues.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Great Molasses Flood killed 21 people and demolished most of a neighborhood. When temperatures dropped in the evening those left stranded in the rubble were stuck in place in the cold molasses.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Stats on hyponatremia are more difficult. Doesn't appear to be many deaths from it directly. Maybe 6 per decade. More because of drug side effects and existing health issues.

Safe to say there are are exponentially more er visits for dehydration. I ate a bunch of grilled clams at a Cambodian bbq one time and it was not a good idea.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Something is not poisonous if it's essential to life.

Yeah, nah.

Oxygen. Kind of needed for our version of life. But too much also kills us. Our blood has evolved to capture the oxygen we breathe in and bind it safely to the haemoglobin transport molecule.If we breathe air with a much higher than normal O2 concentration, the oxygen in the lungs overwhelms the blood’s ability to carry it away. The result is that the excess oxygen binds to the surface proteins of the lungs - essentially they rust/burn. As, apparently, do the eyes and nervous system.

Not surprising really given oxygen is a highly reactive element.

Seems there's a case to be made that oxygen is poisonous but takes 3 score and ten (or somewhere there abouts) to do us in.

Also.....
Trace metals. Iron, lithium, zinc, copper, chromium, nickel, cobalt, vanadium, molybdenum, manganese, etc. Very necessary for the correct functioning of our cells. Too much is toxic.

Probably a load more stuff like this.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
China invented the fork, but later abandoned it for the chop stick. The chop stick is seen as more sophisticated; you take little bites of food.

Dim sum translated means “touch of the heart”

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
1st commercial dog food put on the market in 1860. Til then they ate scrapes.

Sponsor

Staff online