• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you know dogs? .jpg

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
There are no natural lakes in Maryland

Q1: Is it true that Maryland does not have any natural lakes?

A1: Yes, there are no natural lakes in Maryland. All of Maryland’s lakes are manmade by damming rivers. Some have been named lakes (e.g., Lake Habeeb in Allegany County and Deep Creek Lake in Garrett County), but most have been named reservoirs (e.g., Loch Raven Reservoir in Baltimore County).

Q2: Did Maryland ever have any natural lakes in the past?
A2: Yes. We know of at least one, and there could be more. The one clearly documented case is Buckel’s Bog, which was a 160-acre, shallow periglacial lake (actually a glade) that occupied the headwater region of the North Branch of the Casselman River in Garrett County during the late Pleistocene (19,000-14,000 years ago). [Reference: Maxwell, J.A. and Davis, M. B., 1972, Pollen evidence of Pleistocene and Holocene vegetation of the Allegheny Plateau, Maryland: Quaternary Research, 2(4): 506-530.]

Q3: Why are there no natural lakes in Maryland?
A3: There are about a dozen major types of lakes, meaning there are about a dozen ways lakes form. None of those is found in Maryland. Some 74% of all lakes are glacial in origin, but glaciers never entered Maryland during the last Great Ice Age. Glacial lakes may form in bedrock depressions gouged out by glaciers or in areas where detached blocks of stagnant or retreating ice sheets are surrounded by other glacial deposits, such as sand and gravel outwash. When the blocks of ice melt away, the remaining depression, known as a kettle, may fill with water to form a “kettle lake.” Other major types of natural lakes include those that result from faulting, volcanic activity, and landslides blocking a river.

http://www.mgs.md.gov/geology/maryland_lakes_and_reservoirs.html

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
There is a point on the US/Quebec border where there is a bar. The line on the floor in the border. So you can go the bar on the Quebec side and drink till 3am. The bar on the NY side closes earlier. The building is between the 2 crossing posts.

Outside you can drink on the border post!!

VickiK

Out on the slopes
Skier
The sea squirt eats its own brain for nourishment once it cements itself into its permanent location once it matures.

This TED talk has nothing to do with sea squirts, but it does posit that our brains are built for moving. Hmmmm!

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
There is a point on the US/Quebec border where there is a bar. The line on the floor in the border. So you can go the bar on the Quebec side and drink till 3am. The bar on the NY side closes earlier. The building is between the 2 crossing posts.

Outside you can drink on the border post!!

Where is that? Google didn't find it but did find this Stanstead/Beebe Plain house which straddles the border.

1. It's a bargain (or was) - $109K for a almost 7,000-square-foot house (some TLC required).
2. Some security/boarder issues brought on by the 9/11. The house has entrances from the United States and Canada. Border agents have come to know the people who live in the house and allow them to move back and forth freely as long as they stay in the house or the tiny front or backyard.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Where is that? Google didn't find it but did find this Stanstead/Beebe Plain house which straddles the border.

1. It's a bargain (or was) - $109K for a almost 7,000-square-foot house (some TLC required).
2. Some security/boarder issues brought on by the 9/11. The house has entrances from the United States and Canada. Border agents have come to know the people who live in the house and allow them to move back and forth freely as long as they stay in the house or the tiny front or backyard.

From the Quebec side it's Dundee. We always went by boat from Cornwall or Lancaster Ontario. DH grew up in that area. Been a few too many years. The place has probably been closed down after 911 or burnt to the ground!!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
A stingray’s tail is located with a barb that can be serrated and sharp. This venom can be dangerous to humans and was used as an anesthetic in ancient Greece.

I've been stung by a sting ray twice and that is pain like I've never felt before...…The scalding hot water the lifeguards put your foot is actually incredible relief.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Crickey!

SkiMore

Getting on the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The words for the animals that are kept on the farm are often Germanic in origin
- Cow->Kuh
- Pig/swine -> Schwein
- Calf -> Kalb
- chicken/hen -> Huhn

But the words for food that is prepared from those animals is often French in origin
beef ->boeuf
poultry -> poulet
veal -> veau
pork -> porc

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
That's because the Normans made serfs of the Anglo-Saxons when they took over in 1066. A-Ss handled the livestock, Ns ate the meals.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
The Basque are considered to be a 35,000 year old culture +/-. Their language (not part of any other known language group), much of their music, and many foods have no known sources from a previous cultures. In the US you can be adopted into the Basque culture if you learn the language.

Wonder where a lot of French cooking originally came from?

If you have the chance go to a basque restaurant, very interesting meals. There is a good one in Winnemucca, NV if you are passing through. Winnemucca in the Shoshone language supposedly translates to "one moccasin" (now that is a worthless tidbit).

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The longest country-to-country border in the world is between the US and Canada... and the entire border is kept free of trees for a width of 20 or more feet. It's called the US-Canada border slash.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/uscanada-border-slash
I didn't realize Canada was a different country until I was about 10 years old because we regularly went on Sunday drives and went across the International Bridge "The Sault" to sight see. I just thought it was another "state" because it was just our neighboring town/locale.

One day in school our teacher asked if any one had been to a foreign country and I didn't raise my hand. My cousin told me Canada was a foreign country and I called her a liar :D

Sponsor

Staff online