• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Every once in a while I learn something and think to myself, "Huh? I guess I had that wrong all along"
Learning little random things is one of the spices of life.

Let's share!

I'll start.
Did you know that the wishbone in a bird is so they can breathe when they fly? When they flap their wings, the wishbone acts as a billows to push air out while they're flying.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bassian Thrushes find food by farting.

Worm-eating Bassian thrushes have been known to dislodge their prey from piles of leaves by directing their farts at them. The excretion of gas shifts the leaf-litter on the ground and apparently provokes worms to move around, revealing their location.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/78996/15-amazing-facts-about-15-birds

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Blue Whales are the largest animals ever known to have lived on Earth. These magnificent marine mammals rule the oceans at up to 100 feet long and upwards of 200 tons.

!!!! Their tongues alone can weigh as much as an elephant. Their hearts, as much as an automobile.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Blue Whales are the largest animals ever known to have lived on Earth. These magnificent marine mammals rule the oceans at up to 100 feet long and upwards of 200 tons.

!!!! Their tongues alone can weigh as much as an elephant. Their hearts, as much as an automobile.
That is crazy!!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The cells in your body are only fifty percent human. The total weight of all the bacteria in your body is probably five pounds. Your gut bacteria have a big role in your weight.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The cells in your body are only fifty percent human. The total weight of all the bacteria in your body is probably five pounds. Your gut bacteria have a big role in your weight.

10^16 cells, 3*10^-3 mutations per cell per generation, one generation every 20 minutes, or ~75 generations per day.

That's 2 and a quarter billion mutations per day. In every person, every day.

#andpeoplewantmetoworryaboutGMO
#isyourtummyupset?

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
10^16 cells, 3*10^-3 mutations per cell per generation, one generation every 20 minutes, or ~75 generations per day.

That's 2 and a quarter billion mutations per day. In every person, every day.

#andpeoplewantmetoworryaboutGMO
#isyourtummyupset?

Now I know why my skiing been sucking so bad lately. Those damn mutating belly bug. :nono:

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
The Mars Rover has Morse Code on its wheels. This is to track how much slippage occurs as the Rover moves. There are also holes in the wheels to increase traction.

It was also JPL putting one over on NASA. “Initially, for the robotics missions, we had JPL [stamped] on the wheels so that as it rolls along Mars it would tag Mars: JPL, JPL, JPL. NASA stepped in and said, 'No, you can't do that." So they didn’t. :D Then they used Morse code and nobody caught it. -|||. -||-, -|- -

upload_2019-6-17_13-17-4.jpeg

Last edited:

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
There are more species of fungi, bacteria, and protozoa in a single scoop of soil than there are species of plants and vertebrate animals in all of North America.
Paul Stamets "Mycelium Running"

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the Sun Valley phonebook if you looked up "Adam West" it would direct you to "Bruce Wayne (miilionaire)". If you looked up ""Bruce Wayne (miilionaire)" it would direct you to consult Crime Fighters in the Yellow Pages If you looked up "Crime Fighters in the Yellow Pages" it would have you see Batman in the White Pages. If you would looked up Batman is the Whie Page, it would have you see West, Adam.

rG_K25ImYoznL0Nt58ieTlkMTUoCpxZgfWtu3upeRM0.jpg

Sponsor

Staff online