• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

James

Out There
Instructor
The minimum possible number of pitches thrown by one team in a baseball game is 9.

Each inning the first batter up to the plate hits a triple on the first pitch. The on the first pitch to the next three batters, each batter interferes with the catcher trying to pick off the runner at 3rd, or interfering with the catcher if the runner tries to steal home. Batter is called out, pitch doesn’t count as an official pitch. Happens 3 times, so 3 outs.

Rinse, repeat for 9 innings.

Highly improbable, but still the theoretical minimum number of pitches.
Yeah I don't see that. Ptcher throws one pitch, guy hits triple. Ball has to go back to the pitcher, not the catcher. Otherwise it's a dead ball after the triple. You can't get interference on a dead ball, nor would you throw to third. The next batter wouldn't even be in the batter's box until the pitcher gets the ball.
So, the pitcher has to throw it again to get it to the catcher. The 9 pitch interference scenario is bunk.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah I don't see that. Ptcher throws one pitch, guy hits triple. Ball has to go back to the pitcher, not the catcher. Otherwise it's a dead ball after the triple. You can't get interference on a dead ball, nor would you throw to third. The next batter wouldn't even be in the batter's box until the pitcher gets the ball.
So, the pitcher has to throw it again to get it to the catcher. The 9 pitch interference scenario is bunk.

I think you misunderstand. The pitcher does throw another pitch to another batter in the inning, but there is batter interference on that pitch (for instance, the catcher tries to throw the ball to third to pick off the runner and the batter intentionally gets in the way). The batter is called out, and the pitch doesn't actually get recorded or count as a pitch. There are actually 36 pitches thrown, but all but 9 are not official pitches. 27 of them are cancelled out by interference with the catcher.

James

Out There
Instructor
I think you misunderstand. The pitcher does throw another pitch to another batter in the inning, but there is batter interference on that pitch (for instance, the catcher tries to throw the ball to third to pick off the runner and the batter intentionally gets in the way). The batter is called out, and the pitch doesn't actually get recorded or count as a pitch. There are actually 36 pitches thrown, but all but 9 are not official pitches. 27 of them are cancelled out by interference with the catcher.
That's ridiculous. Of course it's recorded as a pitch. It's either a ball or strike. Pitcher throws to catcher = pitch. What are you guys smoking?

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That's ridiculous. Of course it's recorded as a pitch. Pitcher throws to catcher = pitch. What are you guys smoking?

Nothing... just explaining what was posited above. I know the batter is called out in interference cases. I don't know whether or not the pitch counts in the stats.

James

Out There
Instructor
Nothing... just explaining what was posited above. I know the batter is called out in interference cases. I don't know whether or not the pitch counts in the stats.
There's no such thing as pitch count "stats" for a game. Totally not recorded. But the original statement of the pitcher throwing only 9 pitches by continual interference is still false.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
As I understand the rules of baseball, if in the process of a pitcher throwing a pitch, the runner tries to steal and the batter interferes, the batter is called out and the pitch is not counted as either a ball or a strike.

So my example of a catcher trying to pick off the runner at third was incorrect, but the example of a baserunner on third making an attempt to steal home does apply.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The speed of sound varies with the density of the material through which the sound wave is travelling.

In glass it's 4,540 m/s which is around 10,155 mph.

Same applies to LIGHT!
All EM energy really,

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Did you know that we humans are more sensitive to being "poisoned" by WATER than any other substance?
A few percent water imbalance one way or the other can lead to severe consequences.

But things like strychnine, chlorine gas, etc require exposures and concentrations hundreds of times the "normal" to result in difficulties.

But, when the unit of measure is ppm (parts per million) it seems like a little goes a long way to meeting the LD 50 .

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Same applies to LIGHT!
All EM energy really,

Light travels more slowly in matter. It is fastest in a vacuum.

So speed of sound in water is around 4 to 5 times faster than in air - depending on temperatures. Whereas the speed of light in water in about 25% slower.

The index of refraction of a material is defined by the speed of light in vacuum c divided by the speed of light through that material. Materials with large indices of refraction are called optically dense. Materials with indices of refraction closer to one are called optically rare.

But dense and rare in the optical context is not the same as mass density.

James

Out There
Instructor
Did you know that we humans are more sensitive to being "poisoned" by WATER than any other substance?
Maybe @geepers can tackle this questionable statement.

the batter is called out and the pitch is not counted as either a ball or a strike.
Read that again, maybe you can see it's nonsensical? The guy is out, therefore the next guy comes up and we begin pitching to the new batter. The umpire isn't keeping count of pitches. Only balls and strikes on each batter.
You can't invent some game of "throwing 9 pitches", then after a pitch is thrown, claim "the pitch is not counted". Baseball doesn't count pitches, just like tennis doesn't count points won. But in your "game" of 9 pitches, each pitch does count.

The count of pitches is completely irrelevent in baseball. Only outs matter, just like in tennis only games matter. Except tie breaks where each point does matter. The chair official doesn't keep track of overall points won in tennis. It's irrelevant to the game. It's totally possible to win a tennis match having won fewer total points. No one cares.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The count of pitches is completely irrelevent in baseball.

To who wins, sure... but that doesn't mean they don't track it. Every team does and you can find pitch count stats on pitchers. I don't know if it's an "official" stat, but baseball-reference.com lists Pitcher/Start as a metric for starting pitchers. And you can search all games by number of pitches thrown.

What I don't know, is whether or not the pitch count is affected by interference plays.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
As someone who has 70 layering chickens you just need to freeze the eggs after hard boiling and peel them in mass....

its super easy then.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
My fact.

light is either matter or a wave depending whether you not you observe it at the sub atomic level.

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As someone who has 70 layering chickens you just need to freeze the eggs after hard boiling and peel them in mass....

its super easy then.
Freeze all the way through or just get them super chilled for a period of time?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
just enough to chill the outside like a couple mins in an Ice bath.....

Not sure what happen if they actually froze.....

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Eggs don't really need to be refrigerated. Sailors take them to sea for months without refrigeration. I still feel better keeping them in the frig though.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.