• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I didn't realize Canada was a different country until I was about 10 years old because we regularly went on Sunday drives and went across the International Bridge "The Sault" to sight see. I just thought it was another "state" because it was just our neighboring town/locale.

One day in school our teacher asked if any one had been to a foreign country and I didn't raise my hand. My cousin told me Canada was a foreign country and I called her a liar :D

I was visiting friends in Burlington, VT one time and the subject of visiting Montreal came up. I asked if she goes there often to which she cheerfully replied “For sure, every month or two! Quick trip from here! It’s almost like going to another country! Really different there”.

(For the record, she is quite intelligent and is well aware that Canada is, in fact, another country)

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Hockomock Swamp, the largest swamp in Massachusetts, was considered by the native Wampanoags as "The Place Where the Spirits Dwell." Overlapping the Bridgewater Triangle, the area has been known for bigfoot, ufo sightings, trolls, paranormal events, and other lore, and of course lots of mosquitos.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
We actually got into a small argument with someone in our ski club about what is considered skiing internationally. We were talking about our Banff and eastern township trips. We actually were having the conversation inside the base lodge pub at Mont Orford in the eastern townships. She was dead on serious when she said that wasn't international. I think in her mind unless it's Switzerland or France or some other flying over the ocean to get there country that it didn't count. Our response was um yes sure Canada is part of north america but it's still a separate country so visiting there counts as an international destination. It was funny how appalled she was as she looked at us in disbelief in how we could possibly consider Canada international.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
The Hockomock Swamp, the largest swamp in Massachusetts, was considered by the native Wampanoags as "The Place Where the Spirits Dwell." Overlapping the Bridgewater Triangle, the area has been known for bigfoot, ufo sightings, trolls, paranormal events, and other lore, and of course lots of mosquitos.
In that spirit, malaria means bad air in Latin and the romans thought the swamp air caused the disease. The workers who built the Appian Way through the Palantine swamp south of Rome weren't very happy but the path was much faster.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was visiting friends in Burlington, VT one time and the subject of visiting Montreal came up. I asked if she goes there often to which she cheerfully replied “For sure, every month or two! Quick trip from here! It’s almost like going to another country! Really different there”.

(For the record, she is quite intelligent and is well aware that Canada is, in fact, another country)

We went to the Sault as casually and more frequently than we went to Lansing or Detroit, so as a kid I just never thought much of it.
To my parents credit, it was much better parenting to take us on family drives to Canada rather than Detroit, and frankly the drive was shorter to Canada ;)
Heck, I didn't realize Canada was a different country back then, but I knew how the Soo Locks worked :D

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
We actually got into a small argument with someone in our ski club about what is considered skiing internationally. We were talking about our Banff and eastern township trips. We actually were having the conversation inside the base lodge pub at Mont Orford in the eastern townships. She was dead on serious when she said that wasn't international. I think in her mind unless it's Switzerland or France or some other flying over the ocean to get there country that it didn't count. Our response was um yes sure Canada is part of north america but it's still a separate country so visiting there counts as an international destination. It was funny how appalled she was as she looked at us in disbelief in how we could possibly consider Canada international.

Hey! I met your friend at Logan airport one time! I had to fly to Canada (Toronto area) for work purposes at one point. I reached the airport, waited a year and a day in the "international departures" line, finally reached an airline agent (ssg's friend) and she asked "where are you flying today?"

Me: Toronto
Her: You need domestic departures and pointed to some other line filled with 500,000 people.
Me: Ummmm, I'm going to Toronto as in Canada.
Her: You need domestic departures and pointed to some other line filled with 500,000 people.
Me: Canada, as in it's another country? That would make it international?
Me: Really? You can't help me?

For the record, after waiting another year-and-a-day (thankfully I apparently got to the airport two years and two days in advance), they were able to get me boarding passes and all the usual stuff.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Hey! I met your friend at Logan airport one time! I had to fly to Canada (Toronto area) for work purposes at one point. I reached the airport, waited a year and a day in the "international departures" line, finally reached an airline agent (ssg's friend) and she asked "where are you flying today?"

For the record, after waiting another year-and-a-day (thankfully I apparently got to the airport two years and two days in advance), they were able to get me boarding passes and all the usual stuff.

Wow, you did meet her. Blonde right :roflmao: Geezbus

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier

You know how Star Trek was written as a transposition of the long-standing tradition of military exploration, specifically Cook's and Anson's?

If CBS wanted to do the thing properly, they would write a story that paralleled Zebulon Pike, Pike's Peak and getting blown up while invading Toronto.

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Speaking of international issues... At my first post-college job I was primarily doing software engineering, but I had to do some customer support as well. At one point in I was dealing with some customer located in England. It didn't occur to me to tell him about the July 4th holiday and that I'd be unavailable for a day, but on July 5th, he called to let me know that he was stalled and couldn't make progress without my support and blah blah blah.

Him: What, did you take the day off? You need to give me a backup contact if you're unavailable!
Me: Uhhhh, well, everybody had the day off.
Him: What, some kind of company day off?
Me: Uhhhh, no the 4th is a national holiday here.
Him: Oh. What's the occasion?
Me: Uhhhh, the 4th is a, uhhhhh, celebration of the day upon which the United States uhhhh specified its intention to be a sovereign nation. (What am I supposed to say? "It's the day we told you Brits to #(%@*(%#& off?")
Him: <long pause> Oh. Yeah. We don't celebrate that over here.

He was cool after that and we eventually fixed whatever the problem was.

I now have colleagues located around the globe... If we're working on some issue I always try to remember to send out a "USA offices are on holiday for date XXXX".

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Hawaii has four Interstate Highways, H-1, H-2, H-3, and H-201.

I know it confused me too when I was stationed there.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Airports in Canada are an interesting situation. Since so many of the flights in and out of Canadian cities are to/from US cities, there’s often US customs right there in the Canadian terminal. In Calgary about half of the terminal gates are separated for US departures and arrivals. I think they do in fact treat it like a domestic flight from US to Canada, so once you’re through US customs in the US part of the Calgary airport, you’re in the US for all intents and purposes, and when you arrive in Seattle (for example) you don’t have to go through the international flight terminal and customs.

scott43

Skier
You know how Star Trek was written as a transposition of the long-standing tradition of military exploration, specifically Cook's and Anson's?

If CBS wanted to do the thing properly, they would write a story that paralleled Zebulon Pike, Pike's Peak and getting blown up while invading Toronto.
The Blast Heard By 31 People and 246 Cows... :D

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Did you know that after vinegar, anchovies are the main ingredient in Worcestershire sauce?
It's essentially a fish sauce.
It also has Tamarind in it.

But the anchovies they use don't smell anywhere as bad as the rotten fish they used in fish sauce.

James

Out There
Instructor
But the anchovies they use don't smell anywhere as bad as the rotten fish they used in fish sauce.
You'd think they'd be doing shots of Worcestershire sauce then. But apparently it's just the fish sauce. Does Indian cuisine use fish sauce?

-----------
Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce was first created by the Worcester chemists John Wheeley Lea and William Henry Perrins. They devised the recipe in the 1830's when Lord Sandys - a nobleman of the area - was eager to recreate an exciting taste he had acquired on his travels to Bengal.

When Lea & Perrins was first created, it wasn't to their liking and was set aside and forgotten about. It wasn't until the barrels were rediscovered many months later that the taste had mellowed into what we know and love as Worcestershire Sauces. To this day, the ingredients are allowed to 'mature' for 18 months before being blended and bottled in Worcester. Only a lucky few know the exact recipe.

Lea & Perrins Special Edition is extra matured for a fuller flavour, for all those that really love the taste of the original.
-------------
https://www.leaandperrins.co.uk/Our-History

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Me: Uhhhh, the 4th is a, uhhhhh, celebration of the day upon which the United States uhhhh specified its intention to be a sovereign nation. (What am I supposed to say? "It's the day we told you Brits to #(%@*(%#& off?")
Him: <long pause> Oh. Yeah. We don't celebrate that over here.

You wouldn't believe the number of Americans who have asked me earnestly if we celebrate 4th of July where I come from. Well actually given Trump etc maybe it's a more nuanced question than it appears......

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
You'd think they'd be doing shots of Worcestershire sauce then. But apparently it's just the fish sauce. Does Indian cuisine use fish sauce?

I'll bring the shot glasses to the next gathering.
Don't know much about Indian (Asian) cuisine. However, I can tell you there are some Chinese/Southeast Asian condiments that make fish sauce smell absolutely divine.

scott43

Skier
Airports in Canada are an interesting situation. Since so many of the flights in and out of Canadian cities are to/from US cities, there’s often US customs right there in the Canadian terminal. In Calgary about half of the terminal gates are separated for US departures and arrivals. I think they do in fact treat it like a domestic flight from US to Canada, so once you’re through US customs in the US part of the Calgary airport, you’re in the US for all intents and purposes, and when you arrive in Seattle (for example) you don’t have to go through the international flight terminal and customs.
I actually use the US Citizens line in the US to bypass the International immigration lines.. They're ok with that usually..

Sponsor

Staff online