• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Did you know? (Random things in life)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
...Hauser's glideslope speed is faster than his overland aka 'horizontal' speed ... Origone's glideslope speed is his overland speed... we need to be extremely pedantic about what we define as 'non-motorised'.

True... I've been know to engage in some pedantry. But all of this still doesn't touch Baumgartner - whether motorized, non-motorized, or something in between. The only thing that possibly disqualifies him for "fastest human speed" is that it was (mostly) just vertical freefall - and maybe horizontal is more impressive because of difficulty...

But he hit over 800 MPH, and was the first human to break the sound barrier while outside of a vehicle!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
- whether motorized, non-motorized, or something in between. ...
But he hit over 800 MPH, and was the first human to break the sound barrier while outside of a vehicle!

Exactly - and I haven't not noticed that you're evading attempting to answer who the fastest 'non-motorised' human is :D

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m going to admit something, I play tabletop war games. Yes, I play with toy soldiers. What most people don’t know is that this is a relatively new hobby. It traces its beginnings to the set of rules “Little Wars." H.G. Wells created them and played with the other gentlemen of the day and his grandchildren. The same guy that wrote "War of the Worlds," "The Time Machine," "The Invisible Man," and others,

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Little_Wars The full name is no longer politically correct in this day and age. I wonder if he predicted that.

He played with lead soldiers in his backyard.

upload_2019-7-23_11-54-45.jpeg

upload_2019-7-23_11-56-9.jpeg

The only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys. :D

Attachments

• upload_2019-7-23_11-55-19.jpeg
    upload_2019-7-23_11-55-19.jpeg
    18.6 KB · Views: 2

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Exactly - and I haven't not noticed that you're evading attempting to answer who the fastest 'non-motorised' human is :D
I'm not evading... I'm saying it's Felix. While acknowledging that others may not like that answer... if we wanted to get specific, we could head toward Guinness World Record territory and add all sorts of qualifiers... and figure out who the fastest-person-on-land-but-not-snow-or-ice-assisted-by-mechanical-means-but-not-motorised-or-rocketized-without-a-tail-wind-on-a-slope-of-no-more-than-4-degrees is.

James

Out There
Instructor
Joe Kittinger came close to that in 1960. No pressurized capsule, no hardened space suit, but jumped from open air balloon. Primitive pressure suit and one glove had a leak and his hand swelled up 2x normal. (Upshot- Baumgartner is a babied prima donna. ogwink)

Like 600+ mph. Just under Mach 1. He also on one of his earlier jumps went into a flat spin and passed out. A special chute to stop flat spins was invented.
Baumgartner went into a spin/tumble too. Dangerous.

Then there was this truck driver from NJ who attempted to break the record 3 times. The last leading to his death in a coma months after. It seems as if he was in the habit of opening the helmet, depressurizing, then quickly locking it and repressurizing. His last time they heard a whoosh on the radio, they released the balloon and dropped him down. He was alive when they found him but never regained consciousness.
https://www.nj.com/news/2012/10/a_deadly_fall_46_years_ago_a_j.html

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
cool, #7 is controversial simply as a website may of tried to avoid word for word copying, least my guess.

same reason we see same news stories on all the new networks .. why them Russians got us all riled up last election ogsmile.

I think the list maker simply didn't state things well, similar nearly same list is on multiple sites .... eg: https://thrillspire.com/interesting-facts-about-skiing

they stated it better without tying it to motorized auto's .. maybe should say "typical" auto.

cheers!

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
cool, #7 is controversial simply as a website may of tried to avoid word for word copying, least my guess.

same reason we see same news stories on all the new networks .. why them Russians got us all riled up last election ogsmile.

I think the list maker simply didn't state things well, similar nearly same list is on multiple sites .... eg: https://thrillspire.com/interesting-facts-about-skiing

they stated it better without tying it to motorized auto's .. maybe should say "typical" auto.

cheers!
I'd say the typical (if you mean average) new auto these days is capable of going faster than 120 MPH.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Here is a random phenomenon that one normally wouldn't consider.

But....

There is a gradient of electric motive force, EMF, between the surface of the earth and the upper atmosphere. Actually there is a measurable gradient of some milli volts between your feet and your head while standing, but that is not the point ;-)

Any way, an electric gradient builds charges. In the case of the earth, HUGE charges of high potential and LOTS of electrons. (AMPS)

Well, When the numbers are run and the sums figured, The combined discharges due to lightening strikes to the ground pretty much EXACTLY balances the EMF due to the atmospheric altitude gradient.

Now ain't the world a wonderful place to be in! ;-) I couldn't have done better if I had designed it myself! ;-))

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Austrian Felix Baumgartner has become the first skydiver to go faster than the speed of sound, reaching a maximum velocity of 833.9mph (1,342km/h). In jumping out of a balloon 128,100ft (24 miles; 39km) above New Mexico, the 43-year-old also smashed the record for the highest ever freefall.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'd say the typical (if you mean average) new auto these days is capable of going faster than 120 MPH.

I stand corrected, but best check the speed ratings of your tires ... if doing any distance. ogsmile

so, for "Did you know?", via Tire Rack

tirerack tire speed ratings.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
In the 1990's GMC decided to set up a toll free call in Help line. What should have been 1-800-GMC-TRUCK with the K not really being a number, it would start dialing when the 2 was dialed. But...a mistake was made, it went out in print at 1-800-GM-TRUCK. That number was actually already in use as 1-800-HOT-SUCK. Needless to say, the consumer reached a different type of "Help Line".

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
to tag on
type w tires are rated for 168 mph or 270k which is very close to be passing 2 telephone poles per second
type y tires are rated for 196 mph but are listed as 299+k or aprox 2.2 telephone poles per second.
and a deer from ditch to road is under 1 second

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
In the 1990's GMC decided to set up a toll free call in Help line. What should have been 1-800-GMC-TRUCK with the K not really being a number, it would start dialing when the 2 was dialed. But...a mistake was made, it went out in print at 1-800-GM-TRUCK. That number was actually already in use as 1-800-HOT-SUCK. Needless to say, the consumer reached a different type of "Help Line".

And you know this how?

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Other way 'round. Lightning is Thor/St. Elijah/Perkunas/Perun/Raiden taking the piss. The EMFarts go in the other direction - up from the cloud layer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprite_(lightning)

Perhaps we can say that lightening is just one way mother nature has for getting even! ;-)

Did you KNOW?????
Lightening rods on buildings are not meant or designed to carry the energy of a lightening strike safely down to the ground. The wires being woefully undersized for such purpose. Rather, lightening rods are meant to dissipate ground charges UP to the oppositely charged storm clouds above. And so reduce the likelihood of a direct lightening strike to the building the rods are protecting.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Bagpipes came to Scotland from Ireland.

don't suppose Ireland was trying to rid themselves of em? :roflmao:

Worked with a great guy years back. He played the pipes in a group. Really good group if you liked Bagpipe music. Anyhow, heard he once hand assembled a mini bag on a plane using straws and a paper bag ... was good for a laughs including the looks he got.

Rod MacDonald

Getting off the lift
Skier
This type of telephone number is not used in any other part of the world as far as I am aware.