• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Was delivered yesterday and I could tell a difference from putting on and walking barefoot. I slept with it on and woke up with less numbness and more of a marble than titleist underfoot.
Feeling good enough to stop by to see the responsible party and discuss future plans together.
B1CA1615-330E-4A3D-92D5-01F48243A918.jpeg

GinaW

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
A problem I will be addressing this summer. I will be following your post.
View attachment 46632

By the way -- is that Eugene in your avatar?
Dave--I'm trying to help my son, whose foot looks just like this! He's loving his job (first year as ski patrol) and really wants to be able to continue, but is in a lot of pain. He took a day off and paid what seems like a lot to me ($250) to have his boot punched, but still in a lot of pain. Given that his foot looks very similar to yours, I'm crossing my finger that you have some advice. Thanks.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Dave--I'm trying to help my son, whose foot looks just like this! He's loving his job (first year as ski patrol) and really wants to be able to continue, but is in a lot of pain. He took a day off and paid what seems like a lot to me ($250) to have his boot punched, but still in a lot of pain. Given that his foot looks very similar to yours, I'm crossing my finger that you have some advice. Thanks.
Your son paid $250 to get one punch? That's a LOT.

GinaW

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Your son paid $250 to get one punch? That's a LOT.
Yes. He's in Salt Lake City. 250 seemed a lot to me but that's what he was told and he's pretty desperate given the level of pain and how much he loves and wants to continue his job.
He's working a ton so he doesn't have a lot of time to try to figure this out--given the alternative of not being able to keep working, I bet he would have been happy to pay even more if it had actually helped him.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yes. He's in Salt Lake City. 250 seemed a lot to me but that's what he was told and he's pretty desperate given the level of pain and how much he loves and wants to continue his job.
He's working a ton so he doesn't have a lot of time to try to figure this out--given the alternative of not being able to keep working, I bet he would have been happy to pay even more if it had actually helped him.
That is not a normal price for a punch.
In my mind I can only imagine they did a whole lot more.
:geek:

James

Out There
Instructor
Yup

Our shop will not punch a customer boot that does not have a supportive footbed in it.

We direct the obstinate ones to YouTube
I guess you won’t be working on Glen Plake’s boots. He refuses to use one, as do many high level skiers.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I doubt that Glenn Plake has trouble getting boot work done. Personally, I think I know 2 'high level' skiers who don't use footbeds. None are local, but whatever. For the vast majority of skiers, they help. If a shop won't punch without a footbed, well, it's their call. I wouldn't bother with canting work without them and never had a customer insist they were better off without, so never had to turn anyone away.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Would you like us to give you a recommendation for a fitter that is reputable and can get him some relief?

I would recommend that he go to Park City and see Brent Amsbury if possible.

If he'd prefer someone in SLC then Curtis at Sports Den does good work.

James

Out There
Instructor
I doubt that Glenn Plake has trouble getting boot work done. Personally, I think I know 2 'high level' skiers who don't use footbeds. None are local, but whatever. For the vast majority of skiers, they help. If a shop won't punch without a footbed, well, it's their call. I wouldn't bother with canting work without them and never had a customer insist they were better off without, so never had to turn anyone away.
No, he doesn’t. But he would insist he’s better off without your footbed. So, I guess he’s out the door.
But hey maybe he’s seen the light! He could be so much better with a footbed.
I got that from a fitter in Chamonix three yrs ago.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Maybe he is. Some are. But I doubt he'd like my footbed much. :roflmao: