• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
During and after this season, I started to develop bunions on both feet, with my (longer) left foot experiencing the most discomfort. At this point, some of my normally comfy shoes hurt, so I need to address the issue medically AND with my boots....which is where you guys come in.

Currently, I ski the Tecnica Mach1 lv 105 in a 25.5 with a Sidas foam liner. The stock liner packed out fairly quickly...I’ve got skinny feet, and the heel is the skinniest. I had the toe sides of the boot punched out, but I still experienced discomfort while skiing, and now, when wearing shoes. I’m starting to think the toe box simply isn’t wide enough.

So....I’m visiting the doctor today, and, tomorrow, I’m making a “social call” to my bootfitter. He’s pretty good, and has done everything he can to make me comfortable in whatever boots I’ve had. He has suggest going to a cabrio boot, because I have difficulty getting in my boots without them heated, and they are hard, and painful, to get off.

My previous boot was the Lange RS120 lv, in a 25.5, which seemed better in the toe area, but the cuffs weren’t adjustable enough (my tibia are curved...I’m not bow legged). Getting a cuff adjusted properly is important for me to ski on a flat ski.

I do have custom footbeds, made by a professional bootfitter/pedorthist in Aspen Highlands. I know my shell size is correct.

So here’s my question: IF I look at new boots next season, what should I consider? My bootfitter doesn’t carry everything, but will get me anything I want to try that he doesn’t carry.

I tried on a Roxa boot (men’s version of the R3w) and it felt great out of the box. Is that a possibility?
Is there a Dalbello that will work with my narrow heels? I’d love to get a lighter weight boot, but fit is primary, of course.

I’m 51, a finesse skier, live in PA, but like to ski anywhere I can get to. I prefer off piste. Groomers get boring. I do take a race clinic once a week, as well, for technique, not competition.

Here are my feet, and my shins..the left tibia is more curved.

AF60E73B-E8E8-4430-81CA-6D6D630D553B.jpeg
C0B67896-929A-4294-BE5C-258B7B570AEE.jpeg

tinymoose

Getting off the lift
Skier
Those are some baby bunions you have there. ;) I've been stuck with tailor's bunions (outside of foot by pinky toe... aka a "6th toe") and standard issue bunions since at least high school. Only good thing is they've remained pretty much stable for the most part and don't cause me any pain other than occasional discomfort from shoes rubbing on them. My Dalbello's with the ID liner work well for me and my feet are WAY worse than yours, so maybe Dieter will have you try those again? The liner hugs my skinny heel well, but the front of the boot is wide enough to accommodate the bunions. I thought you had Dalbello's at one point, though, and you didn't like them? If so, what didn't work or what didn't you like about them?

Just FYI, it may not be the boots causing it so new boots may not stop the process. Usually bunions are a thing some people are just prone to. Medical consensus on footwear causing bunions or making them worse seems to be a bit all over the place. But certainly you want boots that aren't painful and pressing on them.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
No words of advice, just wishes of good luck. I have a 6th toe on my right foot which is my larger foot so that adds to the fun. My bootfitter put me in some Rossignol Pure Elise 120s with an adjustable flex dialed back down to 110 that seemed to fit well. I have custom footbeds and Nick has made several adjustments to my rigth foot to accommodate for my little friend. I've had to go back for adjustments aka have toe area blown out several times, I started off with a condo for my toe, last October I got a new foyer and mid season he gave me a mud room. It's even more of a pain in the arse when your bunion is on your larger foot. Seems like you have a good guy there so hope you get the perfect setup.

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those are some baby bunions you have there. ;) I've been stuck with tailor's bunions (outside of foot by pinky toe... aka a "6th toe") and standard issue bunions since at least high school. Only good thing is they've remained pretty much stable for the most part and don't cause me any pain other than occasional discomfort from shoes rubbing on them. My Dalbello's with the ID liner work well for me and my feet are WAY worse than yours, so maybe Dieter will have you try those again? The liner hugs my skinny heel well, but the front of the boot is wide enough to accommodate the bunions. I thought you had Dalbello's at one point, though, and you didn't like them? If so, what didn't work or what didn't you like about them?

Just FYI, it may not be the boots causing it so new boots may not stop the process. Usually bunions are a thing some people are just prone to. Medical consensus on footwear causing bunions or making them worse seems to be a bit all over the place. But certainly you want boots that aren't painful and pressing on them.

The Dalbellos I had were too wide. I think the new liners in my boots contributed, so I’ll visit him tomorrow to see about a fix...I’m sure he’s bored in the spring, lol.

I get pain in my big toe and Imfeel it when I take long walks or run, so I need to do something about it.

PTskier

Been goin' downhill for years....
Pass Pulled
There are several possible causes for bunions ranging from heredity to injuries. This is a good time of year to consult with an orthopedic surgeon who specializes in the feet or with a sports-oriented podiatrist. Once you find the cause and possible remedial actions, you have most of the year to take care of your feet before next ski season. I'd suggest not buying boots until you know more about how your feet will be next winter.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bunions/symptoms-causes/syc-20354799

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I have my mom's bunion on my right foot.
I actually wonder if it has more to do with the leg length issue I have and the way I've adjusted how I walk over the years.
I feel like mine grows more in the summer when I'm wearing shoes that aren't adjusted for the LLD. I dunno. :huh:

As for adjusting your boots. I have a bunion punch in my Lange boots as well as my Tecnica

Last edited:

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Wendy, your bunions aren't large, and the medial cuff hinge on your Lange can be changed to an adjustable one if needed. Did you cut the instep gusset on the liners out to help you get in/out of your boots yet? Man, I hate to hear 'go cabrio' to solve what are likely not difficult issues in your current boit.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
A problem I will be addressing this summer. I will be following your post.
Dave's toe.jpeg

By the way -- is that Eugene in your avatar?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Now that's a mess. ogsmile

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
This is likely your issue-

http://lermagazine.com/article/functional-hallux-limitus-diagnosis-and-treatment

If you're footwear pressures the bunions, it can make the situation worse as the body tries to protect it, and this encourages bony growth.

Make friends with a shoe repair shop or buy yourself one of these-

https://www.footfitter.com/footfitt...=cpc&msclkid=c33c9a2bf9f919c35dcbc12d1770c61d

More reading if you are into it-

http://www.vasylimedical.com/pdf/VasyliMedical Functional Hallux Limitus.pdf

I had the toe sides of the boot punched out, but I still experienced discomfort while skiing

The foam injected liner is likely too firm to move into the stretched out shell. I've never worked on one, but it probably just needs a grind at the problem area, could also need a grind on the outside to let you foot move away from the medial shell.

I have heard that acetone can be injected in the foamed liner to spot often it, but have know idea if it works and/or how much would be overkill, do so at your own risk!

If your footbeds have a varus(medial) forefoot post that could aggravate the situation.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
This is why I'm happy we have a boot lab in our house.
:D

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A problem I will be addressing this summer. I will be following your post.
View attachment 46632

By the way -- is that Eugene in your avatar?

It IS Eugene! (Josh McDermitt). :D

And I will have more to add to this thread come fall, when I work with my bootfitter.

I’ll also have more pictures with “Eugene” by then, too. ogsmile

Last edited:
TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Wendy, your bunions aren't large, and the medial cuff hinge on your Lange can be changed to an adjustable one if needed. Did you cut the instep gusset on the liners out to help you get in/out of your boots yet? Man, I hate to hear 'go cabrio' to solve what are likely not difficult issues in your current boit.

I don’t own the Langes anymore. There had been so much work on the soles of those boots, that they weren’t safe in bindings anymore. :eek:
The Tecnica cuffs are fine.
No, the instep gusset wasn’t cut out, but it sounds like it would help a lot.
I spoke to my bootfitter last night, and he is going to do a punch and some work on the liner. Thanks for mentioning this!

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is likely your issue-

http://lermagazine.com/article/functional-hallux-limitus-diagnosis-and-treatment

If you're footwear pressures the bunions, it can make the situation worse as the body tries to protect it, and this encourages bony growth.

Make friends with a shoe repair shop or buy yourself one of these-

https://www.footfitter.com/footfitter-cast-iron-ball-and-ring-bunion-stretcher?campaignid=131402514&matchtype=e&keyword=bunion stretcher&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&msclkid=c33c9a2bf9f919c35dcbc12d1770c61d

More reading if you are into it-

http://www.vasylimedical.com/pdf/VasyliMedical Functional Hallux Limitus.pdf

The foam injected liner is likely too firm to move into the stretched out shell. I've never worked on one, but it probably just needs a grind at the problem area, could also need a grind on the outside to let you foot move away from the medial shell.

I have heard that acetone can be injected in the foamed liner to spot often it, but have know idea if it works and/or how much would be overkill, do so at your own risk!

If your footbeds have a varus(medial) forefoot post that could aggravate the situation.

Thank you for this valuable reading.
I just bought the shoe stretcher...that will help a ton, as I have some favorite shoes.
I will show your post to my bootfitter when I visit him, thanks!!
My footbeds do not have the forefoot post, so that’s one less thing to worry about.

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
It IS Eugene! (Josh McDermitt). :D

And I will have more to add to this thread come fall, when I work with my bootfitter.

I’ll also have more pictures with “Eugene” by then, too. ogsmile

0B579906-F0C8-4E45-8D90-C93508AEE78F.jpeg

I am indeed a fan of that show.

James

Out There
Instructor
You also might be able to stretch the liners in the toe area. I've done it. Basically you heat up the glue seam on the bottom/side and stretch with a shoe stretcher.
IMG_5267.JPG

To get them on, do you put the liner on your foot outside of the shell then put the whole enchilada in the shell?
It's not necessarily easier, but you won't get the bare foot pinched by the boot.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
When using the ball and ring it is helpful to use a piece of scrap leather (on the ring side) or similar to prevent marring the shoe leather

TS
Wendy

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You also might be able to stretch the liners in the toe area. I've done it. Basically you heat up the glue seam on the bottom/side and stretch with a shoe stretcher.
View attachment 46646

To get them on, do you put the liner on your foot outside of the shell then put the whole enchilada in the shell?
It's not necessarily easier, but you won't get the bare foot pinched by the boot.

Good Idea about stretching the liners.

The liners are in the shell when I put the boots on. I use a heated boot bag to soften the shell.

But, I cannot get my liner-clad foot into the shell; I just can’t manage that, even with the softer boot, so my stockinged feet go into liner and shell all at once.

Sponsor