• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Destination or Local Mountain Bike Rides

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
History of our trail system:
https://freehubmag.com/articles/trail-runs-through-it-whitefish

"Designed by Greg Gunderson and David Noftsinger of Forestoration, Inc. Trail Design, the completed sections have included the work of over 20 contractors and 200 volunteers. Pete Costain and his company Terraflow—which has also been heavily involved in building up at Whitefish Resort—has been responsible for much of the construction. A Whitefish resident for over 20 years, Pete has been around since the 1993 newspaper article and seen all the changes in the interim, be they good or bad."

Pete Costain is the dad of Parkin Costain, a local freeride skier, by the way. Pete has been involved with skiing and mountain biking for years here.

surfacehoar

Getting off the lift
Skier
I'm fortunate enough to have 100+ km's of trail out my back door, a mix of flow and tech. With something crazy like 9000 km within an hours drive of home. Also 2 resort Bike parks (not including the epic riding of the Kootenay or Coastal BC).

Perfect summer weather, sandy beaches and warm lakes to jump into at the bottom of pretty much every trail.

Wine and bikes were mentioned here previously so I'll add that we have 180+ wineries and many of them easily accessible from the trail systems. Makes for a nice day biking and wine tasting.

I will travel to bike, but it's mostly travel to see family and meeting in a central place with quality outdoor recreation.

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
very cool, but honestly who drinks wine and then goes MTBing.....or even beer...

Bruuuce

My advice is worth what you paid for it.
Skier
Emerald mountain trails 2 miles in one direction, spring creek and buff pass trails a mile from there, storm mountain trails (you know it as Mt. Werner) 3 miles in a different direction. I know the "bike Town USA" moniker is a little overdone, but the MTB'ing is pretty awesome here and we are soooo close. We are very lucky!

Superbman

Getting off the lift
Skier
My regular trail system is good for an hour to and hour and a half and is mostly intermediate riding with some short but steep climbs. Called Mianus River Park on the border of Stamford and Greenwich, CT. It's about a 15 minute drive. Lots of dog walkers on the first mile of trail then the traffic is mostly gone. A fair amount of RAW action in the evenings as Stamford, CT has a ton of corporate offices.

20 minutes in the other direction we have a trail system called Sprain Ridge Park that I don't really love. Tilted and narrow, shoehorned in between the Sprain River and Sprain Ridge Parkway in Yonkers, NY. Gets a lot of urban riders and is, I think, the closest real riding to NYC. I will hit every once in a while just for something different.

For weekend rides we have some really good places about 40- 50 minutes drive:

Huntington State Park in CT has a really nice network of carriage roads and at least 12 miles of purpose built singletrack. I helped build a couple of the trails. I used to live 20 minutes away and was a regular there for years.

Blue Mountain Reservation about 40 minutes north of us in Peekskill, NY has really nice techy singletrack and a lot of climbing for our neck of the woods. We go there when feeling strong and looking for a challenge.

And then we have some bigger rides an hour away that we like, Most notably Stewart State Park near Newburgh, NY. Many miles of mostly smooth, flowy trails that wine around land that used to be farms. There is a really nice lift served place in MA but that is a 2 + hour drive and we may get there once a season if that. It is called Thunder Ridge and in the winter it is called Berkshire East.

1. Thunder Mountain...Thunder Ridge is the small ski area in southern NY

2. No Trumbull??? Old Mine park/ Trumbull is still the best riding in greater Fairfield County.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
1. Thunder Mountain...Thunder Ridge is the small ski area in southern NY

2. No Trumbull??? Old Mine park/ Trumbull is still the best riding in greater Fairfield County.

Yes, I stand corrected, Thunder Mountain, aka Berkshire East. We drove by Thunder Ridge on the way to Stewart Sunday and didn't even notice it. That's how small it is.

I never have loved Trumbull. Have ridden there probably 10 times over the last 20 years.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For sure if you go for rollers and tech. I am more into a good xc work out. Too old and too scared for rollers and too fat for jumping. Promised my bike I would not jump it after cracking the frame on my last bike.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
I am pretty sure a dude named Scrublover rides Trumbull all the time.

I kinda of hate riding south though due to ticks...

Sponsor

Staff online