• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

baymax

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Currently I am looking to purchase a pair of demo skis online. And I found one Blizzard Black Pearl with the base as shown in pics.
I am wondering if such condition is consider above average or need send to a ski shop for repair. Does it still worth purchase?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 183

aveski

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those bases look somewhat toasted. What is the asking price and what year are they?

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Err wow what sort of company would try to sell those without repairs? Sorry, but any professional demo outfit should have the tools to make those look virtually undamaged, as part of their regular business. I'm getting strong stay away vibes here.

Especially if the seller is a private individual reselling an old demo ski.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
That's even worse than my bases. "Hell to the naw." Unless they're free, you can do better.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Those bases look really worked over. I'd be curious as to year and price but unless they were dirt cheap and budget was a major concern I'd pass. You can do a lot better.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Those aren't "demo" skis...they're rental skis. Pass.

Those are just trash(ed) skis. I can't imagine having the balls to try to sell a ski with those kinds of scratches on craigslist. What's that ledge looking thing on the middle left near the edge?

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Unfortunately I've seen some of our current season demos come back looking like that.

If you're skiing the high alpine stuff right now, you're going to get bit. My La Ninas made it through one powder day almost unscathed, but those rocks in Deb's ate them alive.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
That'd be about a $70 - $80 repair with a full tune including stone grind where I work.

Most of those scratches would come out with just a couple passes of the belt sander. The rest would fill fine and ski well. Depending on the bindings, if you really need a bargain ski, these would get you on the snow.

A poor condition base is a symptom of poor care in general. More important than the condition of the base is the condition of the ski itself. Is it bent? What shape are the bindings in? Are there any repairs that aren't evident?

If this was a ski I really wanted, they were hard to find and the price was rock bottom, I'd consider them. Otherwise, I'd pass.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
To put it in perspective, THIS is a damaged base.

20170101_201924_Queen Of The West Road.jpg

Each of those white lines is a core shot. That was all done in a few seconds.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On my last visit to my resort, I remember seeing someone clicked in to skis on cement. I'm certain the skis were rentals. I'm not saying that's what's happening here, but something like this doesn't need a low snow year to happen.

I had to look away. Couldn't find the courage to say a thing.

Some people.... :doh:

TS
B

baymax

Skier
Thank you all. I think I would pass. The front looks fine but the base makes me concerned.

TS
B

baymax

Skier
So usually the goos demo skis base can only see light scratches?

Sponsor

Staff online