• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
The solution is to have such a massive quiver, and such a taste for new skis, that you rarely ski more than 20 or 30 days on any given ski.

Seriously though, for my purposes that do not include performance carving, I don't notice the change, if it exists.

snoempath

Booting up
Skier
I'm of the opinion that while there may be changes, the impact for most skis, of even a couple of hundred days of use, has little practical impact. But I have no more empirical evidence to support my opinion than anyone else.

That's why I'm asking if there's some reasonably rigorous study that's been done that shows something better than simply anecdotal evidence supported by vigorous opinion. Everyone's got an opinion - and lots of them are obviously wrong. [I'll admit, it's certainly possible mine are wrong in this case.]

IMO, the best way to know for sure is to perform some objective measurements.

My searches turn up little other than a claim that one of the Elan SCX ski designers claimed, as a result of measurements he made, that loss of camber and torsional rigidity was almost exclusively from removal of edge material from base grinds. [i.e. The metal edges.]

Make of that what you will. I'm guessing it's going to be a lot of days before a ski, especially with a stout core [not foam, for example] and metal is going to suffer severe loss of performance. Most [probably all] of us will have long moved on to shinier toys long before they're "worn out."

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm of the opinion that while there may be changes, the impact for most skis, of even a couple of hundred days of use, has little practical impact. But I have no more empirical evidence to support my opinion than anyone else.

That's why I'm asking if there's some reasonably rigorous study that's been done that shows something better than simply anecdotal evidence supported by vigorous opinion. Everyone's got an opinion - and lots of them are obviously wrong. [I'll admit, it's certainly possible mine are wrong in this case.]

IMO, the best way to know for sure is to perform some objective measurements.

My searches turn up little other than a claim that one of the Elan SCX ski designers claimed, as a result of measurements he made, that loss of camber and torsional rigidity was almost exclusively from removal of edge material from base grinds. [i.e. The metal edges.]

Make of that what you will. I'm guessing it's going to be a lot of days before a ski, especially with a stout core [not foam, for example] and metal is going to suffer severe loss of performance. Most [probably all] of us will have long moved on to shinier toys long before they're "worn out."

Don't agree with your opinion regarding the longevity of skis. I'm on skis often enough to ski two pairs of the same ski (old & new) back too back. The degradation in performance is real.

The subject of how long a ski will last has been discussed before. No point delving into it again.
https://forum.pugski.com/threads/how-much-do-you-use-your-skis-before-getting-a-new-pair.7858/

Sponsor