• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier
What is the best way to figure out when demo days take place - is there a website that lists them?

I tried searching on the manufacturer's website/social media as well as on the mountain's web page but came up empty.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is the best way to figure out when demo days take place - is there a website that lists them?

I tried searching on the manufacturer's website/social media as well as on the mountain's web page but came up empty.
Most consumer days are coordinated with a local shop, I would start there.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Stowe used to do a demo day in early / mid December, but it seems to have vanished this season. :( Casualty of Vail takeover? I have no idea why they no longer do it; it always seemed to be popular.

Most New England demo days seem to be fairly early in the season, another practice that always mystified me.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Most New England demo days seem to be fairly early in the season, another practice that always mystified me.

Why? Presumably people want to replace their gear before Christmas, no?

Correct, before Christmas is peak buying season. Think about the reason for demos, it is to get people excited to buy gear. After Christmas, reps go immediately into wholesale mode and are looking at the folllowing seasons sales. They unload their current year's gear and start to preview the following years collection to retailers..their customer. Remember, the consumer is the retailer's customer, there is a bit of a chain of command in the demo process.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

It makes sense to me. Reps normally sell off their demo fleets for current year skis mid-season. Then they are busy showing next years stuff via industry demos and shows for the next month or two, setting up their sales for the following year. Then there's the fact that consumers can't buy next years stuff until October-ish the following season, so if they show the new stuff, that kind of screws over shops that are trying to finish of current inventory. To me, early season makes the most sense...right before Christmas.

EDIT (posted at the same time as Phil): So,TLDR; what Phil said above

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Sorry, posted too soon... I understand the economic behavior of having demo days early in the season. In New England though, mid December can be some pretty sparse snow conditions; from a consumer perspective, it would be frustrating to have limited testing terrain which made it pointless (to me at least...) to try certain types of skis. *shrug*

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Sorry, posted too soon... I understand the economic behavior of having demo days early in the season. In New England though, mid December can be some pretty sparse snow conditions; from a consumer perspective, it would be frustrating to have limited testing terrain which made it pointless (to me at least...) to try certain types of skis. *shrug*

Now imagine *Snowshoe* first week of December :D

It's like a demo day written by Hemingway: For Whom The Rain Also Falls.

TS
LKLA

LKLA

Out on the slopes
Skier

Stowe Mountainfest demo day sued to take place in early Dec.

DPS and Parlor had demo days at Stowe in December this year.

Volkl had a demo day in mid/late March last season.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
How do you find out who the local reps are?

Either at a demo day or at a shop. Frex, ask Brian D. to introduce you to Keith from Lange/Dynastar.

The reps job is not to deal directly with the consumer, he is a wholesaler, and when there is a demo, thery are there as an agent for the shop. Granted in todays age of Facebook and "total transparency", names come out but really let them do their jobs.

Crudmaster

tinyurl.com/pungjgt
Skier
I suggest that you scan the the ski area's calendar of events. That's where I learn about Crystal Mtn's annual Demo Day.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I usually find demo days a Cluster F#@&. Sure the big names are present (sometimes), but what models, and sizes to they have? Most times it's all over the map with no rhyme or reason to the selection of models and sizes they bring. Then there's the bad tunes, the inconsiderate people who keep the ski out for hours (and the reps don't seem to give a crap), and the endless wait and see if it's back yet--nope, ok go ski some more and come back crap, the paper work--like you're taking out a mortgage. Geez Louise, I can't be bothered. Then again, I hate the flip side with the shop demos--$60 to demo, and we'll take that off the price if you buy today. I have to think that there has to be a better model for test driving skis.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Those looking to demo should definitely call your ski shops and ask them where the demos are Call the ski shops close to ski areas.

@Scruffy I'm upstate (nw of alb), bummer bad timing, Yesterday was my home bump's Demo Day, Local Ski shop puts it on. It will change your mind on demo days. this is not a cluster, they brought Line, K2, Volkl, Blizzard, Nordica, Atomic. It's Free,Registration is a breeze, leave a license, fill out the form, give your BSL, get a small card w/your DIN/BSL to give to tech. the tents are set up by the lift so we can park our skis and pick out a demo ski and go ski a few runs. They always bring a very good selection of sizes and models. Although the Volkl guy said the Flairs are so hot he sold them all! We are not a well known ski area so demo day is not busy and it's nice to try skis on same conditions to really compare them. It's easy to try several skis.(one yr I tried 15!) yesterday I had to work (teach) so only got on 4 pair. It's every year Pres Week Thursday

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Did you happen to get out on some demos at Big Sky or were you too busy poaching powder on the other side of the mountain?
:D

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Did you happen to get out on some demos at Big Sky or were you too busy poaching powder on the other side of the mountain?

I was too busy skiing the upper mountain Friday once it could finally be seen. I didn't want to trek all the way back to the base area.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
I also would have liked to demo some ski's but the skiing was way to good and the place ( BS ) so big

John Webb

mdskier
Skier
The Big Sky demo’s were the greatest . Got to try about 6 different skis. Even tried one in 2 different lengths- 180 & 188. Both worked well.

Sponsor

Staff online