• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Demo binding stand height

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
I recently purchased what I thought were the older Attack 13 demo bindings. When they arrived, it turned out to be the newer Attack2 13 AT demos. If I understand correctly, the older ones had a stand height of 24mm while these newer one are up to 30mm.

Is this taller stand height a problem? These would go onto a 19 Stockli Laser AX.

Should I send them back and continue chasing for the older model (now very difficult to find it seems)?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I recently purchased what I thought were the older Attack 13 demo bindings. When they arrived, it turned out to be the newer Attack2 13 AT demos. If I understand correctly, the older ones had a stand height of 24mm while these newer one are up to 30mm.

Is this taller stand height a problem? These would go onto a 19 Stockli Laser AX.

Should I send them back and continue chasing for the older model (now very difficult to find it seems)?
The Attack2 13 is about 34mm high and on a AX, you should be fine. The issue is more prevalent when you get on wider skis.

Stacks

Stacks
Skier
The Attack2 13 is about 34mm high and on a AX, you should be fine. The issue is more prevalent when you get on wider skis.
Just wondering if you could explain a bit more about how with a wider ski the higher stack height becomes more of an issue?

TS
R

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
I am not able to locate any of the original Attack 13 demo bindings, looks like they are discontinued and most suppliers have ran out. If somebody knows a place the get them let me know.

Otherwise I will just stick with the Atack2s since as you mentioned Phil, stand height might not be a big issue on a narrower carver.

There are also the Marker 13 TXC demo that has lower stand height but there you get a negative delta?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
How/What are you intending to ski with these?

If you're putting them on edge and really carving them on hard groomers and locking them into those turns, then doesn't the taller stand height helps you do that kind of turn? Isn't this why race regulations have a MAX stand height rather than a Min?
Alternatively, if you're planning to use your AX on soft snow only where you are looking for finesse and feel rather than really bearing down into those high g carves, then yes the stand height doesn't help you in that type of skiing and you want to be closer to the ski.

I have Laser AX with attack2 13 demo which come out for groomer days, and I like them just fine for what I use them for.

TS
R

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
I would say primarily for carving on groomers in various Lake Tahoe resorts. On firm but also variable snow as we often get. I might venture off-piste but that’s secondary, say 80 on 20 off. So I do think that as both you and Phil suggest, the Attack2 demo might be just fine for that. Just not used to bindings this tall, I had the non demo Attack 13s on my previous skis and they were like half as tall. I think it’s just in my head.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Let's take a step back...why the need/desire for a demo binding and not a hard mount?

TS
R

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
That is an excellent question, I have read that ability to experiment with mounting point on an AX is preferable. There seems to be more discussions around the mountings point on these particular skis than any other I have read. So I wanted to be safe and have that flexibility.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hi.
My bigger friend has the same higher Attack2-13 AT demos that you now have on his 183 Laser AX. To me, those bindings, with their stand height about a cm. higher than the older Attack2-13 demos, are better, as long as I can move them forward. In terms of feel, they have a welcome combination of greater leverage and playfulness that is particularly apt for that ski. (My friend likes his from +1 to +2 - he's bigger and younger. I like mine, with a different, lower binding, from +2 to +4 for the same purposes. I like his setup mostly better than mine, because of that higher AT binding. So I suggest keeping it and using it. (If you decide you don't want it, I'd be happy to buy it from you at a reasonable price, since I've yet to find a pair myself.)

In the process of trying to duplicate his setup, I got a used pair of the lower Attack2-13 demos online, accidentally. I've never used them, because they were not the taller AT model I thought I was getting.

If you want them, I'd be happy to sell them for about what I got them for, can't recall exactly: around $105 including free shipping. (They seem to be in good condition, but are just sitting in a box.)

By the way, The 175 AX Lasers may be worth experimenting with on mount position, but they seem fine just a bit forward of the line (c. 1 cm), or on the line for a bigger guy - maybe more forward only for a smaller guy. This ski is so short and quick that a more forward position doesn't really matter much. It's the longer 183 that potentially likes farther forward.

Last edited:
TS
R

Robert Lutczyk

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for all the great input all. Based in this I feel much more comfortable just mounting the Attack2 13 AT demos I already have!

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Thanks for all the great input all. Based in this I feel much more comfortable just mounting the Attack2 13 AT demos I already have!
Worse case, you can still swap them, they are the same hole pattern.

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
FWIW, I never felt comfortable mounted on the line on the 183 AX; tested mount point with demos before buying a 175 AX replacement, and found on the line to be just right (6'2" 165) -- tho I did get the ski with the adjustable MX13 binding, the color match is just so right :P