• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deja Vu...Squamish Gondola Line Cut Again.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
9-15-20 Sea to Sky.jpg

(Rhianna Schmunk, Maggie MacPherson/CBC, Squamish RCMP)

Last edited by a moderator:

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Just to clarify, that gondola is not at Whistler. It's a scenic gondola about 45 minutes south of Whistler. I've always wondered what the views are like from on top because that section of the drive is just so pretty.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Just to clarify, that gondola is not at Whistler. It's a scenic gondola about 45 minutes south of Whistler. I've always wondered what the views are like from on top because that section of the drive is just so pretty.
Yes, sightseeing gondola unrelated to the ski operations. Someone must have a real hate-on for them.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
Sorry for the stupid question - do they provide MTB access?
Not there. Whistler yes. Didn't know but you can go back country skiing of the top is you choose to. You could probably ride the trails on MTB but not via the gondola.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'd think environmental terrorists would be going after the higher impact infrastructure at WBC if they really want to stop a large number of people accessing nature, bikes, skiers, etc...

Itinerant skier

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was chatting about the original cut about a year ago with a friend who lives in Squamish. He said there was a lot of local opposition before they opened, but that the people running the operation had really stepped up to make sure it was part of the community and had won over most folks, leaving them all pretty shocked that someone would do this. Now twice! Awful.

RJS

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm extremely happy that nobody was hurt in either instance here, but it's scary how not difficult it must be to cut one of these big cables. I'm surprised that somebody was able to get away with it a second time when they specifically beefed up security after the cable was cut the first time :huh: . While I would guess that the cost of repairs would be covered by insurance, I have to imagine that their insurance premiums are going up a lot...after they probably went up a lot the first time that this happened.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I'm extremely happy that nobody was hurt in either instance here, but it's scary how not difficult it must be to cut one of these big cables. I'm surprised that somebody was able to get away with it a second time when they specifically beefed up security after the cable was cut the first time :huh: .
:nono:

Sometimes I hate some humans!

Not necessarily...

1600129330241.png

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Its a bigass cable. 55mm diameter, and I think somewhere around 4km long. That wouldn't be the easiest thing to cut. More than $2 million to replace the last one.
Apparently they may have someone on security camera.

Sponsor

Staff online