• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deer Valley and Telluride

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
When I see the word Gondola attached to Telluride, I tend to think of it as a ski lift, but it isn't. To get the funds to build the gondola Telluride (the town maybe) convinced the Federal Government that it was not a ski lift, but rather like a bus line that ran between two neighborhoods, sides of town. They actually got an UMTA grant for the thing. Urban Mass Transit Authority money. So it connects the town of Telluride and the Mountain Village. Both places have ski lifts as well as lodging, restaurants, bars, stores, etc.. Can't think of any reason anyone would need or want to use it as a ski lift, what with the need to take skis off and put'em back on, or vice-versa. You can stay in either place and use the Gondola to get yourself back and forth between the two. There's no need to drive from one to the other, unless you like to drive snowy mountain roads, especially at night. Yeah, there's some walking if you use the Gondola, but trying to find a parking place in town can be difficult if you drive. Since the gondola was installed I've always parked at the bottom of the Coonski Lift and ridden it to the Mountain Village. That's when we used Telluride as a day skiing spot from Crested Butte (for NASTAR runs). The run back down to the Coonskin Parking lot has alway been much fun, long with one major fall line and another shorter fall line across the slope.. The hill goes straight with a good pitch, but it's also higher on the right side than on the left. Gotta keep making left turns/right turns for speed control. Now that I think about it maybe right turns/left runs would have worked. Bet you'd enjoy Telluride.

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
Telluride is awesome,besides the views, grooming is really good and there's plenty of greens, blues, double blues and blacks. We stayed in a condo across from lift 7 Coonskin lift. Great location could walk thru the building to a nice market, we never drove the car anywhere, walked up into town, could walk to gondola too but the coonskin lift was literally across the street. I hope you have a fantastic trip. (Banaff, LL, Norquay and Sunshine are also beautiful for another year but need to drive to the Mt. Here's a photo from Telluride and Yes easy green/ blue off the top to enjoy the scenery!

27750635_10213097930074336_822910790138287804_n.jpg

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We love Telluride.

Go. You will not regret it.

Stay in town.

kimberlin

Getting on the lift
Skier
I have to agree with all the others recommending Telluride. The place is far more interesting than Deer Valley, as DV is rather homogenized . Your family is coming from Georgia, so why not visit an authentic old mining town with a truly well-developed and efficient transportation system to the mountain, great ambiance, chill vibes, and spectacular beauty. All ability levels can ski here. The Village has everything you may need if necessary, and you can store skis and boots (with locker heaters !) in a building right near the lifts. That way all you have to do is walk to the gondola and boot up when you get there. And if you simply cannot stop enjoying your ski day you CAN actually ski down to the street for one last run if you don't mind walking to your lodging in your boots.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
When I see the word Gondola attached to Telluride, I tend to think of it as a ski lift, but it isn't. To get the funds to build the gondola Telluride (the town maybe) convinced the Federal Government that it was not a ski lift, but rather like a bus line that ran between two neighborhoods, sides of town. They actually got an UMTA grant for the thing. Urban Mass Transit Authority money. So it connects the town of Telluride and the Mountain Village. Both places have ski lifts as well as lodging, restaurants, bars, stores, etc.. Can't think of any reason anyone would need or want to use it as a ski lift, what with the need to take skis off and put'em back on, or vice-versa. You can stay in either place and use the Gondola to get yourself back and forth between the two. There's no need to drive from one to the other, unless you like to drive snowy mountain roads, especially at night. Yeah, there's some walking if you use the Gondola, but trying to find a parking place in town can be difficult if you drive. Since the gondola was installed I've always parked at the bottom of the Coonski Lift and ridden it to the Mountain Village. That's when we used Telluride as a day skiing spot from Crested Butte (for NASTAR runs). The run back down to the Coonskin Parking lot has alway been much fun, long with one major fall line and another shorter fall line across the slope.. The hill goes straight with a good pitch, but it's also higher on the right side than on the left. Gotta keep making left turns/right turns for speed control. Now that I think about it maybe right turns/left runs would have worked. Bet you'd enjoy Telluride.

After a long spring like MF cycle the runs under the coonskin chair can burn out, the upper mountain and more shaded runs sometimes don’t soften up all day or not until the afternoon. That includes chair 9. On those days Milk Run and the trails below are the first to corn up and on those days or mornings gondi laps are where it’s at.

I’ve also seen it where everything is bulletproof proof for two weeks after a thaw and once things finally warm up the only thing to ski was the coonskin chair and Stumper trail, a low elevation trail that drops into town right under the coonskin chair. It gets the most sun, that’s why it can also melt or burn out like I mentioned earlier but if there’s a brisk breeze up high it can be the only run on the whole hill to corn up.

Last edited:

Jack skis

Ex 207cm VR17 Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've read posts from raisingarizona before and thought he was more skilled as a skier than I am. Now reading that he skis Stumper I've changed my opinion. He's way more skilled as a skier than I am. I couldn't ski that run, even if it had snow on it and often (in February when I've been there) the trails under the Coonskin Lift were in really poor snow cover, and not much of it.

TS
B

Bankingguy

Bankingguy
Skier
I've been out of town and just catching up on all of the responses. Thanks so much for everyone's input - I really appreciate it.

We've been to DV so many times, I do think it's time for a change and plan to go to Telluride. Hopefully can still find a good place to stay in town. I think we will enjoy being in town to eat. I didn't mention that another family usually goes with us and the wives don't ski. I think they'd feel "stuck" in Mountain Village. Plus I think sleeping 1000' lower certainly can't hurt either!!

Thanks all.

Ski&ride

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
About the only “negative” of Telluride is you’ll be so spoiled everywhere else you go will be a disappointment! ;) (Ok, except Aspen)

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
My family has been skiing Deer Valley for the last number of years over New Years. I began skiing late in life and like taking it pretty easy. At DV, I stick to the greens and easier blues. On the blues, I end up on Last Chance, Dew Drop, Little Stick, Bluebell, etc. We also skied Breck one spring break and I did more blues off of Peak 9- the runs are so much wider, it was easier to control my speed.

My kids are better skiers - oldest daughter skied one of the double black bowls at Breck and skies most everything at DV. Youngest daughter likes all of the blues at DV.

We'd like to try a different location (that's hopefully not quite as busy) and we thought about Telluride. I always hear it is difficult but see it has a good number of green and double green runs. My question is this: do you think the Telluride green and double greens are more much difficult that the easier blues at DV???

Also, how will the crowds compare to DV? DV is so narrow in places that its simply wall to wall people.

Thanks!!
We goto either Crested Butte or Monarch every New Years. More CB since the epic pass is there. As far as skiing and busy CB is great during new years. I believe it is a little iffy for the entire mountain to be open at new years. The crowds have not been bad at all over the last 2 years. We like to book the elevation, which is right at the base and price wise it is excellent for what you get. The ski valet is awesome there, as you walk through the door from the outside and hand your skis off. Then you walk right into the hotel. We also use the restaurants (9380 Tavern) app to order food while on the mountain. It is not a resort that they cater to you like DV. Beaver creek would be similar to DV. I have never skied BC over New years, so I don't know about that. Being so close to Vail and a Vail resort it could be busy.

raisingarizona

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've read posts from raisingarizona before and thought he was more skilled as a skier than I am. Now reading that he skis Stumper I've changed my opinion. He's way more skilled as a skier than I am. I couldn't ski that run, even if it had snow on it and often (in February when I've been there) the trails under the Coonskin Lift were in really poor snow cover, and not much of it.

I dedicated an abnormally huge chunk of my life to skiing. It was much needed therapy for me in my younger years.

I don't really identify as a "skier" these days. It's still a huge part of my life but my ego isn't attached to it like it used to be. To me the only thing that matters is getting out there and enjoying yourself so ability means pretty little in that regard.

Telluride is rad, I spent the winter of 2006 there and still go back every now and then.

Old school footage from 99 to 2002. Skip to 1:30 for the good stuff.

These days I prefer to keep my feet on the ground.

Last edited:

ADKmel

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been out of town and just catching up on all of the responses. Thanks so much for everyone's input - I really appreciate it.

We've been to DV so many times, I do think it's time for a change and plan to go to Telluride. Hopefully can still find a good place to stay in town. I think we will enjoy being in town to eat. I didn't mention that another family usually goes with us and the wives don't ski. I think they'd feel "stuck" in Mountain Village. Plus I think sleeping 1000' lower certainly can't hurt either!!

Thanks all.

We stayed at Telluride lodge across from coonskin lift, I see some condo's on VRBO & there is also a management company direct thru Telluride Lodge. It was a short walk up into town. we had a great dinner at Siam.(thai) And you can walk to the gondola to take a ride over to the other side. The ladies can even meet you for lunch taking the gondola up and over the Mt. It's worth it for the views! and there's a fancy restaurant Allred's at the top of the gondola New years up there might be great seeing fireworks from up there?

Last edited:

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Out of curiosity, did you stay in town? Or Mountain Village?

My girls are 21 and 17 so no issue for us lugging skis and kids around. Town seems good to walk to dinner, shopping, etc. Mountain Village good for easy access to skiing.

If we were staying on mountain, it would be in a house above Mountain Village. Seems like it would be difficult to get to the gondola to get into town.

Thoughts?

I stayed in the town last November. Loved it. I though the Mtn Village was isolated from everything I liked about Telluride.

I would stay in town again for sure.

TS
B

Bankingguy

Bankingguy
Skier
Meant to post an update here. Finally booked a house in town - about 100-150 yards from the gondola. Flying into Grand Junction (about $1,000 cheaper for the four of us plus the scheduling and layover timing was better). Renting an SUV for drive into Telluride - I like having a car to get out on rest days to drive around.

About to buy lift tickets. Five days at Telluride is $570. Deer Valley is $910 - they've really gone up the last few years. Annual passes are better deal but we only ski once a year.

Other thing I did was watch a few youtube videos on some of the Telluride runs - made me feel better that there will be plenty for me to ski.

Looking forward to it!!!!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It's the best. Have a great time. Push your boundaries a bit....so much terrain and terrific food and beers after. Super jealous. :)

TS
B

Bankingguy

Bankingguy
Skier
Good deal. In Park City, we always enjoy Davanzas - the pizza isn't that great but we end up there every year. Brown Dog looks much better and we're sure to go there.

Anyone have a suggestion for dinner on New Years Eve? We don't like "sophisticated" spots - just good quality basics in a good atmosphere. Any thoughts??

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dave Petersen
    Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid