• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dedicated powder ski

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Go 108. I've found 115s too wide for resort skiing after the morning's "hour of powder" is over. Plus, 88 to 108 is a better jump than 88 to 116.
Not the worst idea. You will gain some versatility and there is still something to be said about being in the powder and not just on it. Plus the OP isn't that big of a guy.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Not the worst idea. You will gain some versatility and there is still something to be said about being in the powder and not just on it. Plus the OP isn't that big of a guy.

And don't forget rocker profile and how quickly a ski "planes up" in the pow. It's not always all about width. For instance, my MB108s plane better than my too-wide-for-my-knees Fischer Ranger 115s.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier

Even on a 3ft fresh in 2 days day at Steamboat my 112's were more than enough. 108's are more than enough for the OP's size for sure. The wider skis do help one enjoy those less deep days on lower angle terrain.

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Personally I would never pull my MB108s off the rack before my Billy Goats when it really snows. However if I was an east coaster I don't think you'd ever need more than the MB108 or equivalent. However OP is in BC. I think the ideal combination there would be MB108 for an all a rounder and something 115+ for big snow days. I found myself pulling the 108s a lot this past year because of the tremendous flexibility. OP Corbetts has great pricing on the MB108s right now, awesome match with the MB116s!!

TS
Justthetips

Justthetips

Booting up
Skier
Well I did consider the 108 ish length. But as this will truly be a dedicated pow ski, and I wanted flotation, forgiveness and quickness in a light ski, I went with the 116. On pow days at my home resort it’s not hard to find fresh stuff through the day - and often there are lifts that open mid day after morning wind holds, providing easy access to first lines after an early lunch. And based on logistics of where I park, I can easily step into my other skis if needed, in less time than it takes most folks to hit the head. Also quite likely that I’ll replace my daily driver with 95-100mm underfoot in the near future also.

I know there’s no perfect solution, no right or wrong answer and as many opinions as there are choices.
In the end you just have to make a decision, and ski it.

BMC

Out on the slopes
Skier
Hi all. First time poster, cool forum, glad I found it.
I am ready to purchase my first pair of dedicated powder skis, hoping to snatch up a good clearance deal.
For reference I’m 5’7”, around 180lbs, charge hard on a good mix of blacks and blues, much prefer floating on pow to bashing bumps as my knees are not what they once were. My daily driver is a 173 Blizzard Bushwacker (88 underfoot, a little narrow for my liking). Pass holder at Big White and do 30-40 days a year.
What should I be looking at for length? Right now I’m eyeballing some K2 Mindbender 116s, 179 length - too long? This ski will be used for pow days at the resort and at least 1 cat ski trip next winter.
cheers and thanks in advance for your replies!
Yes at Big White which as I understand it gets lots of dry snow but not necessarily Japan like or Utah like quantities I agree 108 underfoot should be ample at your weight. Where did I get the 108 reference? It must have been earlier posters!

I think the MB 116 would be a great powder ski though, from all I read. It was definitely on my list (I usually do 3 weeks in Niseko every year, plus I’m ahem much heavier).

If you accept that 108 is ample then you’re voice becomes whether you want to emphasise the “all Mountain” capability more, or the powder capability. You’d be looking at vastly different skis depending on your preference. I would have thought BW wouldn’t track out wildly quickly so I suspect you could logically justify either path.

Edit to say I see you went the MB 116. You’ll enjoy it don’t worry! As I say it was on my list too. Tell us how great it is so i get FOMO

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
Well I did consider the 108 ish length. But as this will truly be a dedicated pow ski, and I wanted flotation, forgiveness and quickness in a light ski, I went with the 116. On pow days at my home resort it’s not hard to find fresh stuff through the day - and often there are lifts that open mid day after morning wind holds, providing easy access to first lines after an early lunch. And based on logistics of where I park, I can easily step into my other skis if needed, in less time than it takes most folks to hit the head. Also quite likely that I’ll replace my daily driver with 95-100mm underfoot in the near future also.

I know there’s no perfect solution, no right or wrong answer and as many opinions as there are choices.
In the end you just have to make a decision, and ski it.

Yep, its great that there are so many good choices nowadays. Some do get paralysis by analysis but there are so many good skis out there its hard to go wrong within similar types of skis.

Reactions: BMC

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Lots of options out there. I had a set of Parlor McFellon Pro’s made last year for my pow skis. Mounted a set of Shifts on them for backcountry use when needed. Had some awesome days in VT & UT last February on them. Worth checking out if you open to snail custom builders.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Another great option that you could still get deals on is the 2019/2020 Blizzard Rustler 11 in 180cm(would measure shorter than a K2 179cm). Very good all around powder/bit of new snow ski that again has a higher performance envelope in more conditions that the MB 116.

This.

(Welcome to Pugski by the way!) I have the Rustler 11 in 180 cm (with 112 mm underfoot)....and am similarish in height and weight...ski 45-50 days a season mostly AB/BC resorts.... I demoed them at Lake Louise a couple seasons ago when I was looking for a ski to replace my Icelantic Nomads 105's in a 171 cm (which are - in actuality - 110 mm physical measurement underfoot). The 171" long Nomads were a touch quicker given their shorter length and turning radius...in bumps, flat spins and super tight trees but more work in chop/crud, running big face lines at speed, and in deep powder. Landings and are much easier on the Rustlers as well. I am very happy with the 180 length and would not go shorter.

I ski mostly doubles off piste...but do love moguls and ripping the groom too. Personally, I find it extremely versatile and well suited for a western big mountain ski that can operate very well run in various terrain (zipperline moguls, tight trees, off lips/cornices, fast big arcs in bowls or chute faces or railing them over on the groom). I run it as a 1 quiver ski. (There are minor compromises but not big enough for me to worry about). It is excellent in big powder as well - took it to Japan for several weeks when it was dumping over a foot a day for days on end - very good flotation -never felt like I needed more width.

YMMV but I like them....

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I run it as a 1 quiver ski. (There are minor compromises but not big enough for me to worry about). It is excellent in big powder as well - took it to Japan for several weeks when it was dumping over a foot a day for days on end - very good flotation -never felt like I needed more width.
And the best part is, with just the one ski there’s room for you in the double ski bag.
9CF8B105-7033-47AD-95E2-3E5B3AED866D.jpeg

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is true. Sometimes I wish I could pull that off, saves on airfare.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a pair of 115 Lines that are great for a few runs in the morning on deep Pow days but cumbersome after that. I quit skiing on them and now the widest I ski is 108. Much more versatile for all day skiing. I ski close to 100 days each season and seem to use 108s on powder days and 98/100s as every day drivers. It also depends on the location I will be skiing on the mountain for the majority of the day. I will probably never ski on the 115s again unless I win a free heli trip!

TS
Justthetips

Justthetips

Booting up
Skier
Follow up post...
Love, love, love the 116 Mindbenders. Amazing in the deep stuff, decent at speed on groomers and in crud, and impressed me in the trees. Zero buyer’s remorse. They are delivering exactly what I wanted.

TS
Justthetips

Justthetips

Booting up
Skier
I will add - they were great all day. Snow conditions were very good, and I was still skiing untracked pow on the last run of the day ( albeit up high in the fog).