• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Drill Deconstructing Mikaela Shiffrin slalom turns

Status
Not open for further replies.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Examiners excel at teaching and at demonstrating the "ideal" form. World class skiers are far more fit and do not adhere to that form. For instance, an examiner will have the perfect poling. The world class skier couldn't care less and would just as soon not pole plant, simply powering through the turn and the chosen line with immensely, ahem, quiet, still, stable upper body in the most challenging conditions. The examiner's upper body would likely get thrown. The examiner can overcome the challenge by becoming more fit, then learn how to use that fitness. The world class skier can overcome his or her deficiencies by being empathetic to a guest, and taking clinics on how to teach, from as many sensei's as possible.

Just be aware that there are examiners out there that are world class skiers... Jon Ballou, Paul Lorenz, JF Beallieau, etc... and others who have been current and former nat'l demo team members and olympic medalists (Deb Armstrong, Daniella Ceccarelli) Even Glen Plake has his PSIA L3. ogsmile

Art of Skiing

Booting up
Pass Pulled
I don't see why people call their skiing world class, they're not even close... There is so many better skiers out there, they just do not post youtube clips about it.
I even find it a little bit insulting to put them on the same pedestal as people who are world class. World class skiing imo requires training your ass off on a daily basis. They probably wouldn't even win a U16 race...

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, for an expert skier. He was asking about world class skiing, what distinguishes one from the other. I was trying to pick out one distinction.

Q i responded to was about one technique in modern ski racing. In racing, being on and quickly transfer to the outside is extremely important. And too much inside is actually a common 'crime'.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
"still", "quiet", and "disciplined"

examiners out there that are world class skiers

World class skiing imo requires training your ass off on a daily basis

common 'crime'.

I seriously think, for discussions like this, words and terms need definitions. We need a United Nations body that sets standards that aid in communications. <edit> We can start with the low hanging fruit, defining the crimes and categorizing them, from misdemeanors to capital, then move on to define quiet, still, world class.

Last edited by a moderator:

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
"do you coach"?

asked karlo if he coached

No, I don't coach, though I did join my 17yo daughter, this past season, in her endeavor to be an instructor, then had the pleasure of instructing some children classes at Levels 3-5.

I don't see why people call their skiing world class,

Such people are not world class, and can never be. By doing that, they lose the respect of everyone else and, by definition, lose their right to that title.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Inside skiing definetely capital :eek:

But, so fun, as every crime should be. }:)
(trying to put horns on a smiley, but can't overcome auto-conversion to image-smiley)

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I don't see why people call their skiing world class, they're not even close... There is so many better skiers out there, they just do not post youtube clips about it.
I even find it a little bit insulting to put them on the same pedestal as people who are world class. World class skiing imo requires training your ass off on a daily basis. They probably wouldn't even win a U16 race...

AoS, we're not posting on epic, and I'm trying very hard to be diplomatic. There are very few world class skiers, people capable of going out and winning a world free ride event, or a WC globe, etc... Daniella Ceccarelli won the SG gold medal in Salt Lake and is a current member of the Italian Assoc. demo team and runs a youth racing program. Deb Armstrong is a very well regarded coach and is also a former USST, PSiA nat'l demo team member and Olympic Gold medalist. Sure, neither could go out and podium at the moment, but.... I can find clips of Michel Sebastien (past CSIA nat'l demo member and a skier who's inspired me a lot!) running gates quite easily on youtube. Not WC podium material but certainly very very competent and could easily pass a Euro test. Glen Plake inspired many to simple get out there and do it. He and Scott Schmitt pretty much created the 'pro freeride' career path for those who've followed. Jon, Eric L, JF, Paul L et al are at the top of the current tech skiing world and with the exception of Eric who isn't required to do so, have all passed their Euro tests. An elite handful if any U16's would be able to do this in a given season, and that said, I'm sure the average jibber/park rat could care less. JP Auclaire didn't ski WC, and Mikaela doesn't do freeride comps, so what is or isn't world class will always be open for argument. I simply prefer to admire them all for what they do and their contributions to their niches in the sport. IMHO, we need to keep it diplomatic and speak to each other as if we were meeting for turns in the morning. Maybe all instruction forum threads should auto terminate after page 4. Cheers, and best to you.

Last edited:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Such people are not world class, and can never be. By doing that, they lose the respect of everyone else and, by definition, lose their right to that title.

I'm not sure what you mean.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
I seriously think, for discussions like this, words and terms need definitions. We need a United Nations body that sets standards that aid in communications.<edit> We can start with the low hanging fruit, defining the crimes and categorizing them, from misdemeanors to capital, then move on to define quiet, still, world class.

In general, I think we need to see this for what it is, an online ski forum that should be inquisitive, informative, fun, and cordial... the latter being the magic mortar that holds it all together.

Last edited by a moderator:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Almost as much fun as the politics forum.

Indeed. But mods need their sleep as well. Speaking of which, back to bed. ogsmile

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Here's why I think definition of terms is helpful. From what folks have said, I think there are those who would say, in the below video, the upper body is not quiet and still, and those who say it is, me being one of the latter.

Would love to see analogous, amazing inside-ski skiing.

Status
Not open for further replies.