• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Decisions Decisions.....a 99 or a 114?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
So, it sounds like you are leaning to the power side of the scale but not testosterone infused?

I will start with...
Armada Invictus 99ti
Dynastar Legend 96
Head Kore 93
Kästle FX95 HP
Nordica Enforcer 100
Renoun Endurance 98
Stöckli Stormrider 95

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
@Philpug -- for years the Bonafide would've shown up in that list. I've noticed it doesn't much anymore. What's the rationale behind that? Seems like it is as able in soft snow as most of those except maybe the Enforcer or Invictus, and its carbon tips have made it a bit more accessible.

Last edited:

NESkiBum

Booting up
Skier
@Philpug -- for years the Bonafide would've shown up in that list. I've noticed it doesn't much anymore. What's the rationale behind that? Seems like it is as able in soft snow as most of those except maybe the Enforcer or Invictus, and its carbon tips have made it a bit more accessible.

@jmeb - I was actually thinking the same thing regarding Phils list. I would think that the Bones is a perfect fit for what he is looking for. And is right in line with the other skis mentioned.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
So many skis in this "slot". So many great skis. I have owned every generation of the Bonafide in a 187cm. I still really like the ski, and always have. I know that I'm a bit of a contrarian there. When I was given my first pair in 2012, I was skeptical to say the least. After a couple of days in the Rockies it became my all-purpose, jack of all trade ski. Pretty solid at everything. I also have had the nice situation to have been given some Enforcers, 193cm. Nice ski. Fun ski. Does everything. I don't think it has quite as much backbone, and a bit less of an old snow, firm snow bias. But in softer snow, and in deeper snow, it wins. If I had to pick one for an average trip on a plane, I'd pick the Enforcer.

I ski a number of days on a 184cm Monster88. If I'm not on a narrow race ski or cheater, I'm most often on that ski. If I were headed West, personally, I would think about a 184cm Monster98. I have skied it, and I like it. I have skied the Kore 105cm for a day. Interesting ski. I found it to be a lot of fun. It could be a great touring ski for me. I'm not sure if I'd love it as an everyday ski, though I am sure that 95% of those who demo it will love it. Same with the 93 and the 117. I'm an old school race bred guy.

I'm lead by my ski availability, and "price." Stockli is not in my wheelhouse, but I would surely consider a SR95. Now having said that I know a number of very loyal, fully all in Stockli and Kastle skiers who have jump on a Renoun and have not looked back. The one exception are friends who ski the Kastle that Phil mentions: the FX95HP. The ski wants to ski fast, is super damp, likes big turns and it needs to be driven. But, yeah, it's quite a ski. Like most Kastle's I find myself between sizes. If I were to buy that ski, I'd want more than a 181cm, less than a 188cm. That's why I have never had a pair of MX88's. 178cm was too short, 188cm, just a beast.

No input on the Dynastar or Armada.

My big ski is, and has been for some time, a first generation Bodacious. I have it in a 196cm and a 186cm. Very pleased to see the original layup being reintroduced. I've had the newer generations as well. Something about the originals. The 196cm is truly just for exceptionally wide open spaces and big, big turns. The 186cm is surprisingly versatile, for me.

Having said all this, I I were @PisteOff , and going blind on this, I think I'd buy the Enforcer. If you don't like it, easy to unload. It skis short. 193cm for sure. Or if I were wiling to spend more, the Renoun. Everybody who I know in the design side of the business says that Cyrus has really done great things with his skis.

I'm about 5'10", 210lbs. Give or take!

@Jed Peters might have a couple of thoughts. Strong skier, long time Stockli skier, now all about the Renoun.

Good "problem" to ponder! When I think about what I'm going to ski on, BTW, I factor in where we will be, snow surface and terrain, and who we will be skiing with. For example , I ski the Bonafide on average faster, and like me it likes bigger turns and fewer bumps than the Enforcer. Having fun with friends is a big part of our skiing. And some are slowing down......

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Sure the new Bonafide could be on the list...maybe even should. I was trying to staying towards the middle of the Finesse/Power scale, that is why I didn't suggest the Bones, Mantra, Monster 98 or Vantage 100...all not bad options but the others better for what I hear him asking for.

Muleski

Inactive
Sure the new Bonafide could be on the list...maybe even should. I was trying to staying towards the middle of the Finesse/Power scale, that is why I didn't suggest the Bones, Mantra, Monster 98 or Vantage 100...all not bad options but the others better for what I hear him asking for.

I think you're right on the money. I've been on a lot of Bonafides, and Monsters. I think your list is a really good one, and as is always the case, we in the peanut gallery need to be mindful of the fact that just because we like a ski does not mean that it makes sense, or is the best choice for others.

I personally think that the Enforcer is the easy, jack of all trades, Swiss Army knife in this slot. Also easy to sell and move if you don't like it. Five years ago, that was the Bonafide. And, if you will spend more.....many options.

BTW, to clarify....not recommending a long Bodacious, loaded with metal, for the average reader. I sure love mine, but few did, hence their redesign to a lighter, more forgiving ski.

As I said SO many options. And so many great ones.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you're headed west it might be a perfect time to demo some harder skis and dial down if they're not doing it for you. Would be a shame to buy another pair of skis only to find out they are still to sloppy. I haven't tried all the models mentioned but I did like the bonafides.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Surfboards that rip - praxis GPOs. Call Keith the owner and describe exactly what you want and he will build it for you, same goes for the Wagner boards if you want to spend coin.

On the wider side, Stockli 107 or the new 105. Personally love the 107 with the 3 suggested mount points from all mountain to powder setting, a solid pick.

My top picks from phils list In the 99s Would be wthe Kastle FX95HP or the SR 95 - hearing great things on the '18 SR change.

epicentre

Putting on skis
Skier
I haven't skied all of the sticks talked bout here, but.. since the SR95 was mentioned and you're soliciting opinions, these I have. They would be my personal choice, and one day I do still hope to snag a pair. Definitely demo them if you get the chance! They will definitely meet and exceed all your criteria.. and with a luxurious refinement to boot. I personally own some Laser AX's which are just fantastic. Stöckli's are a special ski. I'm messing around with more jibby twin tips these days, and lots of great options there too. But sounds like a more race-derived shape is what you're after. Good luck in your search!

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm 6'1" / 195lbs, and felt exactly the same way about the Soul 7. I eventually landed on the Line Supernatural 108 as a western travel ski. It's been perfect for what I was looking for - something that is pretty good everywhere, and is burly enough to be skied fast in variable snow conditions without having to worry about it folding up or getting squirrely like the Soul 7.

I think last year was the last production year, but you can probably still find a set.

One caveat, my SN108s from the first year of production did not hold up well. Maybe I was just unlucky and got a bad set, or hit things harder than I thought, but they're pretty beat up after 50 or so days. That said, I seem to be in a very small minority that has had durability issues with these. The skis are so good, and I'm confident enough that my durability issues were an outlier that I bought a pair of the 16/17 models

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Agreed, no list of this nature was ever without the Bonafide's in attendance.......

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So many skis in this "slot". So many great skis. I have owned every generation of the Bonafide in a 187cm. I still really like the ski, and always have. I know that I'm a bit of a contrarian there. When I was given my first pair in 2012, I was skeptical to say the least. After a couple of days in the Rockies it became my all-purpose, jack of all trade ski. Pretty solid at everything. I also have had the nice situation to have been given some Enforcers, 193cm. Nice ski. Fun ski. Does everything. I don't think it has quite as much backbone, and a bit less of an old snow from snow bias. Bit in softer snow, and in deeper snow, it wins. If I had to pick one for an average trip on a plane, I'd pick the Enforcer.

I ski a number of days on a 184cm Monster88. If I'm not on a narrow race ski or cheater, I'm most often on that ski. If I were headed West, personally, I would think about a 184cm Monster98. I have skied it, and I like it. I have skied the Kore 105cm for a day. Interesting ski. I found it to be a lot of fun. It could be a great touring ski for me. I'm not sure if I'd love it as an everyday ski, though I am sure that 95% of those who demo it will love it. Same with the 93 and the 117. I'm an old school race bred guy.

I'm lead by my ski availability, and "price." Stockli is not in my wheelhouse, but I would surely consider a SR95. Now having said that I know a number of very loyal, fully all in Stockli and Kastle skiers who have jump on a Renoun and have not looked back. The one exception are friends who ski the Kastle that Phil mentions: the FX95HP. The ski wants to ski fast, is super damp, likes big turns and it needs to be driven. But, yeah, it's quite a ski. Like most Kastle's I find myself between sizes. If I were to buy that ski, I'd want more than a 181cm, less than a 188cm. That's why I have never had a pair of MX88's. 178cm was too short, 188cm, just a beast.

No input on the Dynastar or Armada.

My big ski is, and has been for some time, a first generation Bodacious. I have it in a 196cm and a 186cm. Very pleased to see the original layup being reintroduced. I've had the newer generations as well. Something about the originals. The 196cm is truly just for exceptionally wide open spaces and big, big turns. The 186cm is surprising versatile, for me.

Having said all this, I I were @PisteOff , and going blind on this, I think I'd buy the Enforcer. If you don't like it, easy to unload. It skis short. 193cm for sure. Or if I were wiling to spend more, the Renoun. Everybody who I know in the design side of the business says that Cyrus has really done great things with his skis.

I'm about 5'10", 210lbs. Give or take!

@Jed Peters might have a couple of thoughts. Strong skier, long time Stockli skier, now all about the Renoun.

Good "problem" to ponder! When I think about what I'm going to ski on, BTW, I factor in where we will be, snow surface and terrain, and who we will be skiing with. For example , I ski the Bonafide on average faster, and like me it likes bigger turns and fewer bumps than the Enforcer. Having fun with friends is a big part of our skiing. And some are slowing down......
Great post Muleski......

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Vantage 100 has been a ski I've looked at A LOT......All my GS, SG, and DH boards are Atomic and I do find myself a bit biased.....All my other skis and my sons skis are all Rossi's. My SL ski is a WC Radical. This is why I started this thread.....All these great folks have skied one, many, and maybe even all of these skis I mention and I value that input......I am trying to step outside of my historical bias and buy the "right ski or skis for me" with a particular purpose in mind. I value the opinions here more than I do all the gear guides. It's not a one time ride review here. In many cases it is a relationship.......

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The Vantage 100 has been a ski I've looked at A LOT......All my GS, SG, and DH boards are Atomic and I do find myself a bit biased.....All my other skis and my sons skis are all Rossi's. My SL ski is a WC Radical. This is why I started this thread.....All these great folks have skied one, many, and maybe even all of these skis I mention and I value that input......I am trying to step outside of my historical bias and buy the "right ski or skis for me" with a particular purpose in mind. I value the opinions here more than I do all the gear guides. It's not a one time ride review here. In many cases it is a relationship.......
Seriously, the Vantage 100 and Bonafides are fine and more than acceptable options. Go for either of these...or any of the other ones I suggested. You will not be disappointed.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surfboards that rip - praxis GPOs. Call Keith the owner and describe exactly what you want and he will build it for you, same goes for the Wagner boards if you want to spend coin.

On the wider side, Stockli 107 or the new 105. Personally love the 107 with the 3 suggested mount points from all mountain to powder setting, a solid pick.

My top picks from phils list In the 99s Would be wthe Kastle FX95HP or the SR 95 - hearing great things on the '18 SR change.

I intend to buy Wagners when I retire. The wife and I are looking to move to the Nevada side of Tahoe. Still mulling over a topsheet design.......

Muleski

Inactive
My brother ordered some Wagners for his 70th birthday present to himself. And literally the biggest decision was how to design the topsheets! Good problem to have. Have seen some great ones. And the people who I know on the skis love them.

I'm saving up by scarfing free and comp'd skis! Which ski well, BTW.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Renoun has me intrigued. I've never given them a look before.......

Surprised noone had any input on the 4Frnt MSP......

SkiSpeed

Getting off the lift
Skier
@PisteOff, you have great options on the table given all the responses and @Philpug's list. I have a pair of the Head Monster 98s and feel comfortable saying that they will feel like a big GS board underfoot. They are fast and stable; they will do the things you want to do based on your expectations for this category of ski. Compared to some other skis I have tried in the All Mountain world, I would say that they aren't as "nimble" in tight places, e.g. trees. My range of experiences on these skis is much more limited though and I am learning quite a bit from the other posts. I am really intrigued by the Renoun's as well. Everything I read is positive. I wish they had a length between the 77 and 99. Let us know what you eventually choose and have a great season.

TS
PisteOff

PisteOff

Jeff
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@PisteOff, you have great options on the table given all the responses and @Philpug's list. I have a pair of the Head Monster 98s and feel comfortable saying that they will feel like a big GS board underfoot. They are fast and stable; they will do the things you want to do based on your expectations for this category of ski. Compared to some other skis I have tried in the All Mountain world, I would say that they aren't as "nimble" in tight places, e.g. trees. My range of experiences on these skis is much more limited though and I am learning quite a bit from the other posts. I am really intrigued by the Renoun's as well. Everything I read is positive. I wish they had a length between the 77 and 99. Let us know what you eventually choose and have a great season.

I'm actually leaning very heavily towards the Renouns at the moment......I can put them on PayPal credit and get 6 months same as cash.....

Sponsor

Staff online