• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Decent ski pants on a budget?

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Hello

I am looking for some decent ski pants. I ski at Tahoe so not that cold, get in about 15-20 days a season. Don't ski when it is storming, snowing or raining. I run really warm. Two seasons ago I ditched my bib as I was running way too hot. I switched to a pair of ski cargo pants that were fleece lined. The back of my legs sweat a good bit in the area behind my knees, I guess due to the fleece (I am not wearing a base layer, just underwear briefs).

I am looking for a decent pair of pants that is dependable waterproofing, a durable build, and decent comfort. The fancy 3-layer designs, lightweight constructions, and stretchy softshell fabrics are nice but cost hundreds of dollars. To be honest, for me, I believe, they aren’t all that necessary for casual days at the resort. I have my eyes on the Columbia Bugaboo II ski pants. They are waterproof, should last a long time, and are currently onsale for $73.90 from the Columbia online store. They are lightly insulated so I can get away with a thin baselayer on most days.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-bugab...oard&dwvar_1798231_variationColor=010#start=0

Ideas? Other options to consider for this price point?

The Columbia Outlet Store has the Arctic Trip pants for about the same price. I believe this is a model / style that is made just for the outlet.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@murphysf if you run hot and ski in warm conditions, look for un-insulated ski pants with knee area zippers to help vent on really warm days. The bugaboo you mentioned are insulated and would still run warm for you (is my guess). I know I only use insulated pants in mid Winter. Anytime after mid-Feb, I'm un-insulated with maybe a base layer underneath. By March, no base layer for me.

Think more lighter layers, rather than one shot solution.

Good luck.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
@murphysf if you run hot and ski in warm conditions, look for un-insulated ski pants with knee area zippers to help vent on really warm days. The bugaboo you mentioned are insulated and would still run warm for you (is my guess). I know I only use insulated pants in mid Winter. Anytime after mid-Feb, I'm un-insulated with maybe a base layer underneath. By March, no base layer for me.

Think more lighter layers, rather than one shot solution.

Good luck.
the bugaboo has 60g insulation maybe I can get by with no baselayer? or the light thin 32 degrees bottoms from Costco?

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Check in at Sierra Trading Post. I picked up a pair of Columbias (don't know which one) that have their silvery lining and are pretty warm. The other pair are Mountain Hardware. Both were about $100. I also ski warm and find I'm more comfortable between 15°-30° with the light 32 degree bottoms you mentioned. They allow a bit of breathing without adding a lot of insulation. I also find leg zips a must.

I'm sure STP has some shell-only pants. Also check @SkiEssentials. They have some Volkl shell pants for a reasonable price. If you're in Tahoe, it's easy to get down the STP store in Reno.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah if your sweating the last thing you want is insulation...and legs vents especially if you not going to get high end fabric. I also love how they guarantee those water proof, I have seen many people with those exact pants wet out with in like 30 minutes of a rain a storm.

there are 4 waterproof fabrics on the market, many companies use the first 3.

Gore_tex
eVent(kind of wind proof)
Neo-Shell(not wind proof at all)
Trew 's Dermizax

other companies waterproof fabric listed below, but no limited to

HH pro 20k/20k
Patagonia H2no
HH Performance
North Face Dryvent

ARE NOT ACTUALLY WATERPROOF!!!

Ask your self would you ski in storm weather if you had good gear? or is it just not your thing? again if you plan to never ski in the glorious rain then waterproofing is meaning less, but its quite often great skiing.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
would this be a better choice the Ridge to Run

It has Omni Heat which the Bugaboo doesn't, they have leg venting, not sure if they are insulated? not clear when navigating the marketing lingo..

https://www.columbia.com/mens-ridge...board&dwvar_SM8386_variationColor=213#start=1
Omni-Heat is another version of insulation. It's using mylar-like to keep radiant warmth in the clothes, in this case pants.
This is much better (more versatile) than more traditional insulation.

rmcintosh

Booting up
Skier
I have the ridge run pant. It is non insulated other than the reflective lining. Have only used them once. I think they are exactly what you are looking for. Nice relaxed fit with cargo pockets. It was minus 8 Celsius and had a thin base layer with gym shorts on and it was perfect. Had the minor chill going on which I like for skiing.

James

Out There
Instructor
Maybe I'm missing something. Op runs hot yet is looking at an insulated pant?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
It's definitely possible to find a great pant on a budget. But it takes being very deliberate about your priorities and matching them to a product. Pants that are durable, strong waterproofing, a perfect balance of breatheable vs. windproof, and vented are going to be $600+. The Bugaboo 2s are a nice nylon dobby that's a really durable fiber and weave, but it won't breathe well and they're super insulated. I'd say they're a really great fit for a pretty casual skier who's still working on their basic coordination and not yet moving very athletically. Or someone in a really cold climate or who runs cold. If that's you, it's a great deal. If not, there are other options at a similar pricepoint that will serve you better.

What are your priorities in a pant? What are you skiing in now and why aren't they serving you.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
You can usually find waterproof shell pants by Columbia for about $100. That’s all I ski really unless its super cold then I add a base layer of various thickness depending on the temperature.

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
In recent years, I have turned to the dark side and shopped at Amazon. Because I have been aggressive in my skiing, its hard to lay down over $100 and have them get rips at the inside lower cuffs due to sharp ski edges. So I wanted cheap but decent ski pants.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/page/...9fac-3fd6c50ab995&ref_=bl_dp_s_web_4544092011

I got a pair that has a light layer of insulation and water repellent. I still need layers, a thin one for normal days and a thicker base for wind chill warning days. Third season on them, +20 days, wash ~ 5 days and sill going strong.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just buy all the options, and then look at them in person and try them on.
It will be more obvious once you have them in hand. You will go mad just looking at online descriptions, when if you had it in hand you'd reject it for fit in 2seconds.
Return most if not all of them that you aren't going to use.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Check in at Sierra Trading Post. I picked up a pair of Columbias (don't know which one) that have their silvery lining and are pretty warm. The other pair are Mountain Hardware. Both were about $100. I also ski warm and find I'm more comfortable between 15°-30° with the light 32 degree bottoms you mentioned. They allow a bit of breathing without adding a lot of insulation. I also find leg zips a must.

I'm sure STP has some shell-only pants. Also check @SkiEssentials. They have some Volkl shell pants for a reasonable price. If you're in Tahoe, it's easy to get down the STP store in Reno.
STP sends out 25% off codes regularly to users that have been registered longer. I think @Brian Finch has shares some codes in the past
Active junky will give you an additional 10% cash back as well.
https://www.activejunky.com/invite/1231868

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hello

I am looking for some decent ski pants. I ski at Tahoe so not that cold, get in about 15-20 days a season. Don't ski when it is storming, snowing or raining. I run really warm. Two seasons ago I ditched my bib as I was running way too hot. I switched to a pair of ski cargo pants that were fleece lined. The back of my legs sweat a good bit in the area behind my knees, I guess due to the fleece (I am not wearing a base layer, just underwear briefs).

I am looking for a decent pair of pants that is dependable waterproofing, a durable build, and decent comfort. The fancy 3-layer designs, lightweight constructions, and stretchy softshell fabrics are nice but cost hundreds of dollars. To be honest, for me, I believe, they aren’t all that necessary for casual days at the resort. I have my eyes on the Columbia Bugaboo II ski pants. They are waterproof, should last a long time, and are currently onsale for $73.90 from the Columbia online store. They are lightly insulated so I can get away with a thin baselayer on most days.

https://www.columbia.com/mens-bugab...oard&dwvar_1798231_variationColor=010#start=0

Ideas? Other options to consider for this price point?

The Columbia Outlet Store has the Arctic Trip pants for about the same price. I believe this is a model / style that is made just for the outlet.
STP with some bigger sizes in the Columbia pant for $42.
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/all/mens-snowsport-pants~d~2275/?overrideSort=LowestPrice

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
I was on the lift at Sugarbowl 3 years ago and this guy would not stop bragging about his $20 some odd doller Walmart ski pants.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Have been wearing the Columbia men’s Ridge to Run from 2 years ago that can recommend. For most Tahoe conditions a wiser strategy is a loose fitting water resistant or breathable uninsulated shell with side zips that one can layer underneath on colder days. On rainy days even rather expensive ski pants will eventually leak because few are seam sealed as skiing in anything more than light rain even with clothes dry is unpleasant so most of us exit. Seam sealing is usually reserved for even more expensive mountaineering gear.

TS
M

murphysf

Ski Well, Be Well.
Skier
Have been wearing the Columbia men’s Ridge to Run from 2 years ago that can recommend. For most Tahoe conditions a wiser strategy is a loose fitting water resistant or breathable uninsulated shell with side zips that one can layer underneath on colder days. On rainy days even rather expensive ski pants will eventually leak because few are seam sealed as skiing in anything more than light rain even with clothes dry is unpleasant so most of us exit. Seam sealing is usually reserved for even more expensive mountaineering gear.
Thanks!!

For Tahoe would the Ridge to Run be a better choice compared to the Bugaboo?

Last edited:

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The ridge 2 run from specs seems to have significantly more features of fully seam sealed, articulated knees, and cuff guards, vents and from a style perspective cargo pockets.

You'll have to just get them to see. They've been using those names for many years, and even they get runs in different factories it's going to come out different.
So Fit is going to be your #1 decision.
I've actually just gotten 2 pairs of levi's model 531, and just a different "color"; they are significantly different with different fabric stretch and feel and sizing differs by half an inch. One is from Mexico, the other is from Bangladesh.