• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Polo

Putting on skis
Skier
@Polo @Atomicman
I came across this thread while trouble shooting my recent tuning with the Swix Evo.
After being sharpened by the Swix Evo, one pair of my skis started to skip (bite and release) irregularly when being put on edge. I think it is the exact symptom of hanging burrs described in a few other threads.

Interestingly, Swix specifically claims the EVO does not create hanging burrs.

My currently suspicions are:
  • False advertising. The Swix EVO does create hanging burrs.
  • I skipped one step of the tuning. Before using the EVO, I did not use a 200 grits diamond stone to remove existing burrs on the side as recommended by Swix.
Any thoughts?

One possibility, and I say this with all due respect, is you maybe weren't getting your edges as sharp as you thought, before using the Swix Evo, and now that you are using it, they're, maybe, considerably sharper and your skis are reacting in a different way, because they have more bite than you're used to. It's certainly not a bad thing, but it may affect your technique and will most definitely affect how they feel. Often, after I've tuned skis for people that weren't really doing that great of a job on their own, their first impression or response would be kind of negative and they didn't like the feel of their skis because they had so much more bite than ever before. They'd kind of gotten used to skiing on those , not so sharp, skis and that's what their muscle memory was used to, so when they went from their neglected not so sharp skis to those same skis with a good sharp edge, the first few turns were more of a wtf moment, but then the more they skied them and retrained their body, it became more of an ahhhh moment and they can't believe how big of a difference there was in those same skis.

Don't know if that apply's to your situation or not, but it's a possibility.

I've been using a Swix Evo for a few years now and have tuned countless sets of skis with it, I can't recall that I have ever noticed it leaving a burr, but even though there's never been a noticeable burr present, like I mentioned in an earlier post, part of my regimen is to always run some type of hard stone the length of the base edge as my final step.

Mendieta

Master of Snowplow
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
Interestingly, Swix specifically claims the EVO does not create hanging burrs.

I keep it simple. As advised by @Jacques and others, ceramic stone before and after diamond stones. Ceramic stone both on base and side edges, diamond stone only on the sides, with a guide. The extra pass with the ceramic takes like 15s. A no-brainer if you ask me.

:micdrop:

flbufl

Getting on the lift
Skier
Thanks for the reply. But I think I am quite familiar with sharp edges.

I plan to use Akansa stone to touch up only opposite edge on each skis so that I can test if it is caused by hanging burrs by switching left and right skis when I ski them.

One possibility, and I say this with all due respect, is you maybe weren't getting your edges as sharp as you thought, before using the Swix Evo, and now that you are using it, they're, maybe, considerably sharper and your skis are reacting in a different way, because they have more bite than you're used to. It's certainly not a bad thing, but it may affect your technique and will most definitely affect how they feel. Often, after I've tuned skis for people that weren't really doing that great of a job on their own, their first impression or response would be kind of negative and they didn't like the feel of their skis because they had so much more bite than ever before. They'd kind of gotten used to skiing on those , not so sharp, skis and that's what their muscle memory was used to, so when they went from their neglected not so sharp skis to those same skis with a good sharp edge, the first few turns were more of a wtf moment, but then the more they skied them and retrained their body, it became more of an ahhhh moment and they can't believe how big of a difference there was in those same skis.

Don't know if that apply's to your situation or not, but it's a possibility.

I've been using a Swix Evo for a few years now and have tuned countless sets of skis with it, I can't recall that I have ever noticed it leaving a burr, but even though there's never been a noticeable burr present, like I mentioned in an earlier post, part of my regimen is to always run some type of hard stone the length of the base edge as my final step.