• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong's skills and drills for Mogul Skiing

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
A follow up from her tactics for Mogul Skiing vid. IMO, it focuses on some of the important concepts. I like the fact she took off her boot shell to show how important ankle movement is and so hidden because of that shell. Sometimes it looks like a heel push but it could be a quick J turn as she calls it, so glad she explicitly states that.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I thought for a moment she was going to show us a falling leaf drill IN THE BUMPS.

James

Out There
Instructor
Like it she mentioned her way too long poles. “From the 80’s”

James

Out There
Instructor
She probably lent poles to Picabo. Just looked it up- Deb retired in 1988, at 24!

TS
jack97

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Like it she mentioned her way too long poles. “From the 80’s”

I thought she did ok with them. The lines she took and the size of the bumps did not jar her upper body around when she planted. Furthermore, the release was not impacted since she can keep the hands in front of her.

If she were to ski a direct line and rely more on absorption (retraction). The wider range of motion may impact her poling. In that case then I would say yes, try shorter poles or to adjust her grip with those 80's pole. Some WC competitors use the "OK" grip, thumb and index finger wrapped around the pole handle. Where exactly they wrap on the handle is user discretion, some wrap it just around the end of the handle,

gettyimages-649479352_orig.jpg

kingsbury.jpg

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
My favorite comment was the one about not relying on high pressure at the bottom of the turn.

Fuller

Semi Local
Skier
She's a bit of a wingnut but I love her energy and she gets the ideas across in a relatable way.

Mike-AT

Booting up
Skier
Picabo? Here you go!

Btw look how she grips her poles! I think I only spot it because of the images posted above by @jack97 :)

Lvovsky /Pasha/Pavel

i hiked the ridge... twice...
Skier
I really like her falling leaf - upper body faces downhill, legs steer up heal.

and her emphasis on the fact that bumps are about versatility and using many and all tools available! For some reason (wrong dogma, not enough lesson, etc), the pivot slips were unknown to me until last year. Same with drills like falling leaf, garlands, etc... it only took 5-6 days of practicing them and I was able to enjoy the bumps (not do them well or rip them but enjoy the challenge rather than fighting a battle)

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like her falling leaf - upper body faces downhill, legs steer up heal.

and her emphasis on the fact that bumps are about versatility and using many and all tools available! For some reason (wrong dogma, not enough lesson, etc), the pivot slips were unknown to me until last year. Same with drills like falling leaf, garlands, etc... it only took 5-6 days of practicing them and I was able to enjoy the bumps (not do them well or rip them but enjoy the challenge rather than fighting a battle)
I LOVE that falling leaf drill....it adds an entirely new element to it with the uphill turn and then sliding backwards and back into the other turn. The way she talks about how the legs and ankles work in the bumps really helps to break down the nuances at work in skiing the bumps. I also just love her passion, she loves what she does and is excited to share the knowledge with others. I'm a fan.