• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong Beginner ski lesson series

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
I dont like the poles between the chestand arms . I find it to be pretty contrived.
Extreme circumstances at times require extreme measures.
You know your students and I’m sure I would approach the situation holistically as you would to begin. “Contrived“ drills and exercises are always a last resort.

punching them in the stomach can work too. ogwink (He says sarcastically)

JESinstr

Lvl 3 1973
Skier
On the edges of their feet in a wedge, the requirement of raising the toes and stretching the feet helps properly position the student and lets them really feel the arch area thus becoming the conscious target for their dynamic balance efforts.

Lots of people completely clench their toes clawing at the ground. This inhibits closing the ankle and probably locks a lot of things up. Lifting the toes, wiggling the toes could definitely help.
I still don’t get what you’d do to have Tuesday’s balance be more like Deb’s.

OK, First, I don't use the transitional "straight run into wedge configuration" move. I start in the wedge and for the first one or two slides I have them end in a wedge of relatively the same size depending on slope. My focus is on establishing a solid balance platform that flows through the arch. This is the value of the wedge. If you are going to really feel the arch you better be on the edges of your feet which puts you on the edges of your skis which is where directional travel is created on skis. I believe if this had been the focus vs the up front complications of a transition, Tuesday would have a better chance of ending in a centered balance position.

In addition IMO, It's a good thing that the task did not include a transition back to parallel. What is ironic is that the hardest thing for a beginner wedger is not getting into a wedge configuration, it's getting out. The pressure developed by two skis trying to carve against each other is substantial and if not released in a slow, patient and properly directed vector through the arch and up the body, the resulting increase in velocity will result in the student seeking normal, vertical posture and directing their com to the rear which would only have exasperated the preexisting rear seat condition.

Sponsor

Staff online