• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Good thoughts in this thread and I concur with many of them. Not an instructor, but I know skiing and I know panic attacks. However, my panic attacks were mostly in my youth and didn’t involve skiing. If you are suffering severe panic attacks with heart palpitations, dizziness, body pains, vision or breathing problems, etc, then you might want to see a doctor because those things have a life of their own that simple online advice here may not be able to counter. Are they occurring off the slopes too? Don’t need to answer if I’m getting too personal. They often surface at times when a person is going through a stressful time of life. If you think your fear/panic is more manageable, then I like what Rod said about biting off smaller chunks of steeps and repeatedly exposing yourself to that. Sometimes I like to tackle scary terrain alone so there is no pressure. More often it’s good to do it with others because there is safety in numbers, or encouragement, or even distraction. Your example of being able to ski a steep trail when foggy, but not when clear is an example of how irrational panic attacks can be. Again, if you can practice surviving small doses of what scares you, it will help to gradually face any and all large doses. Of course, sometimes fear on a ski slope is a good trait for self-preservation and should be heeded, not ignored; e.g., when you’re in a “you fall, you die” situation and not comfortable with it.
Loved David C's star trek analogy!

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I don't like ledges..and heights...some areas are worse for me than others. I recall going to Bridger Bowl before the EpicSki Academy and some members were going to hike a smaller ridge and I just couldn't do it. I visualized in my head everything that coudl go wrong and I just could not shake the images. The only lift I ever had issues with is the Skye Peak lift at Killington. For some reason, when you get near the top, it really just bothers me.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@AmyPJ I share some of your fears, though I've put some distance between me and some of my old fears.
I sincerely think that growth in your life will help in the head games, which is something you're wrapping your head around.
Another thing is taking small steps over the edge of your comfort zone.
Funny, I love the idea of cornices but I can often get freaked out by the drop. I've gotten some (*what I call) Credit Card Air off of some drops.
The Next Level Camp, which I did twice, helped with some tips and concepts, but I'm convinced that some people are just more likely to take higher risks than others

*Credit Card Air is when you get just enough space between the snow and your skis that you can slip a credit card under your skis.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
I've also found myself able to ski things that previously terrified me after an equipment change. There's a steep trail here called No Name that I used to freak on until I got some turnier skis. My problem is those skis aren't especially good in deeper snow, so now I prefer the hill when it's icy. And I don't like it so much if the snow is deep. Which I used to like better, because those skis were wider, but I just don't trust them to make as short a turn. Naturally, if I were a better skier this wouldn't be the case.

Generally, tho, I believe in the "work up slowly" method. The problem is, that can be very area-dependent. There may be big jumps between steepness the trail the next lower in terror factor and the one that scares you. But with me, conditions impact my fear level. Best to only do the "scary" trail when conditions are perfect, but do it enough on those days that the trail stops being scary on those days. Then you'll at least be more relaxed about the pitch. Then try when the trail is not quite perfect but close. You get the idea.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm afraid of heights too and some chair lift rides give me heartburn. The tram at Jay Peak made me wishing for some Xanax. The runs at Lake Louise were constantly having me go "holy sh!t" this is a green. Coming down from the summit at Owls Head in eastern Quebec caused me lots of pause too, narrowish wiinding around as you come down and it was pretty skied off. Don't love cat tracks either. However, I worked on lots of mind over matter things on those places. Lots of lessons and drill work has helped a lot so I'm not nearly as neurotic as I used to be but still have a long way to go. Some yoga breathing goes a long way too. I'm not advocating this but once in a while a shot or a beer at lunch goes a long way For me it takes the edge off and let's what I know to do happen. I know progress has been made because I think back of some of the trails I've gone down in the past season and go woah I never would have gone down that 2 years ago. Slow in steady wins the race :)

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
One thing I've learned about my fear is when I'm stand at the top of something that scares me, the longer I stand there, the worse it gets. If I know I can ski it, ride it, do it, I tell myself I can, and I jump in before my fear can pick up stream.

It's a completely conscious thought of "the longer I stand here, the more scared I will be, and the less likely I am to do it. So if you want it, jump in".

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
You don't like Lilly Leap....love it. Great views.

That said.....Whistler Peak chair....on a clear day....don't look down...look across to the Saddle!!

It was STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We kept having to stop to take pictures. I'd do it again in a heartbeat see not letting fear get me. It was just unnerving as it was quite skied off, perhaps earlier in the day would have made it better ;).

I'll put Whistler Peak chair in my take a 1/4 xanax list if/when we go there.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
I am not a very athletic person in fact I'm kinda clumsy and have only become an advanced skier due to lots and lots of ski days. I would describe my skiing style as "advanced flail-er", BUT I am an expert traverser and side slipper. So whenever I find myself on terrain/conditions where I am out of my comfort zone, I remind my self that this is survival skiing for me and as "an expert traverser and side slipper", I can traverse out of almost anywhere. This puts me back into my comfort zone as I zig-zag my way down a steep gnarly slope using the angle of the traverse to control speed instead of a turn.

So, practice and get better at traversing and side slipping. Knowing how to self arrest if you fall will also work as a confidence builder.

Last edited:

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Timothy Galloway’s book Inner Skiing has a nice section on fear

Timothy Robbins book Awaken The Giant Within is a fantastic book

From my competing days I often had fear. I question why you are going on terrain that makes you uncomfortable? Maybe you are making too big of a jump, possibly you need to master slightly more manageable terrain and only then move up or go back up. I think you are dealing with a confidence issue, galleries can increase pressure (I.E. skiing with others), so skiing alone can help. Many golfers, including tour players can go through spells ( one friend is a major champion who had to retire) when they struggle to perform in tournaments the way they had in the past. It can be very frustrating, yes it did happen to me and I overcame it. For me, much like your skiing, it was only one aspect of my game, I made tweaks to my equipment to help. Once I overcame my issue I returned to normal equipment. I think your tweak is a temporary change in terrain.

I am not really a social person and am comfortable skiing alone, but I think most like you prefer to ski with others, that might need to change until you conquer this issue

I hope this helps

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
That's one thing I'm proud of is I am queen of traversing and side slipping is something I practice all the time. I took a private in eastern Canada last January and we worked quite a bit on side slipping, he taught me a couple things to make that easier.

I think this helps a lot, being comfortable traversing and side slipping means you have reserve actions to help you get down the trail should you freeze up. I'm a nervous nelly and I think of these 2 things all the time. Good to have in reserves.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
Yes to the audience thing. Really not helpful. And not good to be with people that are always waiting for you, either. Slightly better? Okay. But ALWAYS better? ALWAYS faster? You feel like you need to perform up to their level ON EVERY RUN. For me it's just better to ski alone. I think the competition helps for the small steps, but hurts for the big steps.

Wade

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but for the people who feel fear at the top of a steep run, what specifically are you scared of? Is it a fear that you could get hurt if you fall? Or something else?

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
That's one thing I'm proud of is I am queen of traversing and side slipping is something I practice all the time. I took a private in eastern Canada last January and we worked quite a bit on side slipping, he taught me a couple things to make that easier.

I think this helps a lot, being comfortable traversing and side slipping means you have reserve actions to help you get down the trail should you freeze up. I'm a nervous nelly and I think of these 2 things all the time. Good to have in reserves.

This, to me, is where practice with "falling leaf" and pivot slips has real usefulness.

Started at 53

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Forgive me if this is a dumb question, but for the people who feel fear at the top of a steep run, what specifically are you scared of? Is it a fear that you could get hurt if you fall? Or something else?

In my young skiing career, my only skiing fear is too much speed and being out of control. But my last lesson and extensive reading about technique and the physics of parabolic skis will make going forward much easier.

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier

Yes. But don't tell me to fall. I'm in my sixties. I don't need to break a hip PRACTICING FALLS. If I'm breaking a hip, it better be because I really fell! I know how long it takes me to heal now.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
This, to me, is where practice with "falling leaf" and pivot slips has real usefulness.

yes, yes. One of my trainers taught me how to ski backwards and work on falling leaf last season. Not to do it fast but in conjunction with falling leaf or by itself It really helped me get to know the edges on my skis and helped me with comfort. This along with pickig up the inside ski when turning, working on hop turns, all that stuff adds up and makes me feel better.

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
Yes. But don't tell me to fall. I'm in my sixties. I don't need to break a hip PRACTICING FALLS. If I'm breaking a hip, it better be because I really fell! I know how long it takes me to heal now.

Exactly...it's getting hurt. Can't say I've been in this position in a while, but it does happen. And YES...it takes too long to heal now!

Scotty I.

I only care about the graphics
Skier
As someone who spent many years living in constant fear and daily panic attacks, I totally get you. I couldn't leave my house - I couldn't drive a car. I was diagnosed an agoraphobic. I'm not there anymore because I chose to work on my issues the same way you would eat an elephant - one small bite at a time Drive a block or two until I felt comfortable with it, and then go a little further the next day. If I needed to, I'd take a step back. I drive motorcycles across the United States now.
So, FWIW, two things strike me about your situation. First, remember that skiing is supposed to be fun. To look at it as a daily challenge and skiing lines that are very challenging and make you stricken with fear - that's not fun. Plus (important) do not feel like you have to impress anybody. Living up to others expectations is a phobics worst enemy. If you absolutely feel that you have to conquer the steeps, try a little at a time. Back off the minute that you feel the panic setting in. Always give yourself an escape route.
P.S. There are still chairlifts that scare the sh*t out of me - the ones that go really high off the ground. Ugh... Of course, being a guy, I could never tell anyone about my fear. Stupid, huh?