• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

dealing with nicks in edge

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Hi all,

Looking for your tuning advice. I've spent about 15 days on new FIS slalom skis and they're amazing. I'm tuning them by hand, and have found a few gouges in the metal on the edge (I may have skied over a couple of rocks).

Aside from using a diamond stone on these spots to remove any hardened burrs before going through my regular tuning process, is there anything to be done to fill the gouges in? Do I just accept that the edge has a few areas where some chunks of metal are missing? (Filing the side edges to make the gouges flat would use up at least half of the edge, so I'm not really into that.)

Note that I'm not racing, but I do ski eastern hardpack, so I'm more concerned about grip than speed.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
It's bummer season for edge nicks and base gouges here, too, due to thin cover, gravel, stumps, rocks & dirt.

Sounds like you know that the answer is that the nicks are a fact of life and material removal is the only real option. Knock down burrs, sharpen and polish normally to keep the vast majority of your edges smooth and sharp. If you have any 'slices' or 'chunks' missing from an edge, with sharp burrs more perpendicular to the edge and below the top of the edge, you might try dulling them. They can create a squirrely feel.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Ugh - just dealt with a bunch of that - coverage is really bad out there!

100 stone to remove hardened spots and level it. Then 200 stone, then 400 stone... and maybe some filing in-between, if it's bad.

If it's really bad, i.e. you have chunks missing, that's that - it won't grow back - like slidewright said: just round it off - take the sharp bits off with a fine diamond. If it's not a lot of metal, you won't feel it missing. Mark the other edge as the "race edge" and save it for icy days.

The other thing to do - sounds like your skis need it, get a base grind... I'll have a load of 15 skis or so soon enough to the grinders.

Lesson learned: don't use the good skis at the beginning or end of season!

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I was going to say "and do check your base flatness after skiing iffy snow" but then @razie just jumped in with the step after that one. :);)

The other thing to do - sounds like your skis need it, get a base grind... I'll have a load of 15 skis or so soon enough to the grinders.

James

Out There
Instructor
Beware of footrests too. They can take down your edges when there's no rubber or one hits the down post.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to say "and do check your base flatness after skiing iffy snow" but then @razie just jumped in with the step after that one. :);)
Yeah - figured if the edge is dinged so badly, it could use a grind and reset to 0.5 or whatever David prefers to ski. It may also help with getting some of the sharpness back :rolleyes:

:beercheer:

Jacques

Workin' It on Skis Best I Can
Skier
Hi all,

Looking for your tuning advice. I've spent about 15 days on new FIS slalom skis and they're amazing. I'm tuning them by hand, and have found a few gouges in the metal on the edge (I may have skied over a couple of rocks).

Aside from using a diamond stone on these spots to remove any hardened burrs before going through my regular tuning process, is there anything to be done to fill the gouges in? Do I just accept that the edge has a few areas where some chunks of metal are missing? (Filing the side edges to make the gouges flat would use up at least half of the edge, so I'm not really into that.)

Note that I'm not racing, but I do ski eastern hardpack, so I'm more concerned about grip than speed.

Don't worry about the "nicks". Just continue to tune as usual. Like you said. You can't tune out the gouges on the edge without removing way to much edge.
Remove the high spots and ski!

TS
DavidSkis

DavidSkis

Thinking snow
Skier
Thanks all. Appreciate your confirmation.
If you have any 'slices' or 'chunks' missing from an edge, with sharp burrs more perpendicular to the edge and below the top of the edge, you might try dulling them. They can create a squirrely feel.
One of the chunks missing does run perpendicular. I'm pretty sure it was grabbing today (at slow speeds, one ski was being "pulled" to a stop on one side). Would I run a gummi stone over the acute spot at 45 degrees? Kind of concerned about doing so as it will make that portion of the edge un-tunable...

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Don't worry about the "nicks". Just continue to tune as usual. Like you said. You can't tune out the gouges on the edge without removing way to much edge.
Remove the high spots and ski!

Exactly. I only worry about the 'outies' and not the 'innies' as much.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks all. Appreciate your confirmation.

One of the chunks missing does run perpendicular. I'm pretty sure it was grabbing today (at slow speeds, one ski was being "pulled" to a stop on one side). Would I run a gummi stone over the acute spot at 45 degrees? Kind of concerned about doing so as it will make that portion of the edge un-tunable...

Well, it kinda is already 'untunable'. I have a weird slice/chunk on one edge and tuned the edge like it wasn't there on both side and base edge to try and moderate it's 'catchiness'. Then I dull what was left a little with a diamond and then a gummi, but didn't get too aggressive. it helped but did not eliminated the squirreliness. After a couple more tunes, it is far less noticeable and really pretty insignificant. As mentioned, keeping this edge outside until after a few sharpenings might keep it from getting on your nerves.

Sand paper wrapped around a file or metal scraper may be useful since you may have better control on how much edge you do contact.

SlideWright

aka Alpinord
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Supporter
While touching up the edges, I shot the following image and was thinking due to the general irregularities, a 2nd cut filing might be worth considering to reduce the 'ripple feel'. Followed by a 100x diamond, etc.....

nicked_edge.jpg

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
In Terry @SlideWright 's image, you could round out the innie with emery cloth if it is so jagged that it is grabby. Don't take off more than absolutely necessary to make it 'softer'. Unless you actually notice an innie while skiing, I'd just leave it be.

I have had a situation like that with a DH ski and the innie was 'worked out' to make it smooth as it was essential to have a fast, gliding edge. Eventually the ski got tuned and the innie removed.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Do I just accept that the edge has a few areas where some chunks of metal are missing? (Filing the side edges to make the gouges flat would use up at least half of the edge, so I'm not really into that.)

This is pretty much my ski life. :rolleyes:

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
The best technique for dealing with edge defects is to call out your own technique!

Screw in edges might not have been ideal, but they worked, and with "inherent defects" much worse than a rock strike! I started out on a pair of Yamaha skis with screw in edges. That beginning has served me well, ;-)

Deep fresh snow cures all edge defect concerns. ;-)