• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dave Ryding: Fischer to Dynastar/Lange

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
Seriously? In Britain you have to pay to put the nation the map?
:eek:
Is it any different anywhere else? Yeah Shiffrin doesn't need to, but from that what I know, there's bunch of A team members of USST and Canada, paying their share to be in team. Same goes for pretty much every other country on world, including Austria, just that with Austria A team is ok, but as soon as you end up in B or C team, you need to cover certain part of expenses.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fair enough - I was thinking that, although there may be a team, he's like one guy that's incredibly successful... just sounded funny to ask him to pay. In these other countries, you get a fair amount of support for the fees.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
True. With his results, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't need to be paying his own share elsewhere... well maybe in Canada he still would from what I have heard :)

Swede

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wish mr Ryding good luck. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and has showed the world that there actually are people from Britain who can ski. But he’s pretty far from a top name on the WC. One podium at 30+. He wouldn’t make the B team in most countries. No real money to either loose or gain for him. Probably just felt he needed to shake things up. Try something new. Or as someone suggested, Fischer dropped him.

Swiss Toni

Out on the slopes
Skier
It does seem a bit strange that a member of a national team has to make a financial contribution to the national body.

The deal with Pyhrn-Priel included the preparation and use of training pistes and the regional training centre at Hinterstoder http://www.planetski.eu/news/9681 The withdrawal of facilities of this calibre at the beginning of the season is unlikely to have had a positive effect.

He previously raced on Dynastar skis and won the Europa Cup slalom championship on them in 2013, so maybe he’s dissatisfied with the performance of the Fischers.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I think it's safe to say.....we don't know.

We have USST members, skiing in WC starts, who are being billed for their "contribution". It's normally explained as helping defray travel expenses. And it varies, but $30K US is a good general number.

Most of that group is happy to be getting what they think are very good skis, and boots, in as many numbers as they need. They are not getting paid any cash....except in incredibly rare circumstances.

Things have changed so much. I recall, not that long ago, a young family friend making C team criteria, not having to fund one dollar, and getting a $50K ski contract. About 10 years ago.

I think there are a lot of factors involved in Dave's decision.....or Fischer's.

HardDaysNight

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wish mr Ryding good luck. He seems like a genuinely nice guy and has showed the world that there actually are people from Britain who can ski. But he’s pretty far from a top name on the WC. One podium at 30+. He wouldn’t make the B team in most countries. No real money to either loose or gain for him. Probably just felt he needed to shake things up. Try something new. Or as someone suggested, Fischer dropped him.

If he were an American he’d not only make the A team but he’d be by far the best slalom skier on that team!

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
If he were an American he’d not only make the A team but he’d be by far the best slalom skier on that team!

Haha exactly, as Dave was ranked 1th in Slalom with only athletes from Austria (2), Norway(2), Switzerland (3) Sweden (1) and Italy (2) ahead of him, he'd be making the A team in 'most' countries.

I think there's been a few harsh comments on Dave, he had an amazing (for him) season last year, and whilst I am sure he was hoping for better this year, I'm sure it was his second best season ever by a long way. A few friends of mine grew up racing with him and apparently he's a lovely guy and a hard worker, hopefully this equipment swap brings him some great results, or at least some cash.

TS
Muleski

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I"m not taking the comments as harsh toward Dave. He's a good guy, a popular guy, a hard worker who has accomplished a TON. He's a real solid SL skier. In fact he probably skis better than his results would indicate....even though his results blow away the Americans {particularly with Daver's retirement}.

I think the issue may be the relative economic value, and contract price tag that the ski companies put on a skier like Dave, at this age and this point in his career. They tend to look for both immediate value, and even more so on future. So, has he peaked? Even if he has, He's a top 10-15 talent. He's also a Brit.

I am assuming that for whatever business reasons, the deal put forth by Fischer to extend him was not close to what Dynastar offered. Just a hunch. I'd be guessing at best at what those numbers could be.

He had a great season a year ago, as noted. Many exciting high points, and many "almosts." So much became to be expected of him. Even on Pugski, we had people saying that everybody else would be skiing for second, which at the time I though was "a bit ambitious", considering these guys MH, HK, etc. Fact is, has never had another podium, let alone a win. No medals.

So if Fischer based that last contract on what they hoped to see for potential realized, it's easy to see how they might pull back.

I like the guy. I think he's great for the sport. And I love to watch him ski. SO MANY people are pulling for him to put two of his best runs together in one event. Then we'd see another podium.

Will be hoping that the new setup works. I also think the point is that there is some risk to this move....as he looked very, very good on the Fischer setup. That's all.

Best of luck to Dave, and to Dynastar!

Sponsor

Staff online