• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
70537854_2297478007249718_8693256696094523392_o.jpg
We're happy to announce today that Daniel Meier (AUT) will ride @Augment Skis in the FIS Alpine World Cup from season 2019-20 onwards.

Daniel is one of the most promising Austrian giant slalom skiers but the big audience hasn't seen his full potential yet due to his unfortunate injuries that have held him back in the recent years. His best result in the FIS Alpine World Cup so far is the 18th position in Kranjska Gora in 2017.

Dani is known for his fast turns, and we're confident that his skill and determination will turn into major success soon!

Dani's Social Media:
- FB: Daniel Meier
- IG: @meierdaniel04

@ScotsSkier

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
I hope that he can remain healthy, stay in the Austrian system and keep getting WC starts. With the recent change in how FIS points are calculated to reward WC results over EC and Continental Cups, Daniel has a window of opportunity as his world ranking just dropped from something in the 50-60 range to 30-32. Not a single thing to do with any recent race results. He skis just GS, BTW. This creates a huge opportunity.

With a bib number in the low 30’s or less, this is his time to qualify for a second run and score WC points. I hope that his new ski choice propels him to do well, and that regardless of how much of a role it plays, Augment can get some great press and capitalize it. It is a great opportunity....smart move by them. He was very close to being dropped by the Austrian system. His injury history and now good health probably kept him in. Rossignol dropped him, elected not to renew his contract.

The guy has talent but has had no good luck. And unlike the USA, in Europe people tend to know quite a bit about the sport, who is who, etc. If Daniel can produce results, Augment can capitalize.

So now “free” of that Rossi relationship, I am guessing that he took a hard look at what might make him fastest, as he was not in a position to get much of a payday. My hunch is that he was looking for the best skis for him. Not the best {or any} contract. When these things take place you often get an indication of what ski truly performs best for the skier. When the skier is in a position to get paid, the whole process changes. Almost never does the athlete end up on a ski other that from the company offering the best payday. This may be a move to salvage a career, and to get the best skis to do it. Have no insight.

The USST’s Tim Jitloff made this same move late in his career when CROC {now Augment}was launching and after he had been cut by a Fischer, and not pleased with his Stockli deal. He raved about the CROC. And the selection was pretty darn transparent. He tried them, was excited about them, made the move.

There are a large number of factors that play into this game, including the pool fees that a ski company must pay the national federation {the USST’s are just onerous}, the tech support, etc. I won’t cover the whole thing. At the top levels, it’s more than the ski itself.

I am guessing Daniel will be in essentially the same boot. Blue versus white. Lange versus Rossi. That may be a very important thing for him. Varies by athlete. Some learn that a new company building your boots does NOT work that well.

I would love to see Augment get real serious about top level racing in this country. I am VERY excited about this relationship with @ScotsSkier. I hope that his skis work exceptionally well, and that they listen to his ski and business acumen. He can be a big help. I will be honest, though, what I read and hear about their “plan” seems to confuse me.

“Getting real serious” takes a huge investment and is not easy. It also may take more manufacturing capacity than they may currently have. I think they would need to “comp” a number of athletes, at six-eight pairs each. And those athletes and coaches would need to be “sold” on the performance of the skis. Based on SS’s impressions, that performance piece should be doable.

If I am a top level U16, I, my parents and my coach{es} tend to go with what had proven to work, be fast, and what the national race directors can get me.....from Europe. That piece is important. Same thing takes place as I enter the FIS years and ascent there. NorAm’s and NCAA...yep. Everybody is interested in the very best pairs of skis. As a retired USST skier put it to me last week: “Because they REALLY F****** MATTER!”

I am convicrd these are a great high end race ski. I hope that figure the rest out. These are high end, highest end RACE skis. No offense, folks, but not what many here need, includung those who feel like a “FIS SL” is some silver bullet to your skiing. As in you must have a pair for hard snow carving. You might love a FIS spec ski, but you probably don’t a Hirscher layup!

Sorry to offend anybody with that. Ask anybody who runs the distribution and service of race product, and they’ll explain that we are not who they build skis for. But since it’s hard to sell ANY skis, we do see more race oriented shops putting some women’s and men’s FIS spec SL on the wall. Are those the true high end layup?...almost never, IME. SS and I have discussed this a lot over the years as we have had access to “real” skis....often true WC skis. They would make no difference to me. To my kids. Racing at ages 16-25...big. All of them sourced through different channels.

Having these skis available through a conventional distribution channel is nice opportunity.

Assume these are really great “real deal” skis. For the right purpose and pilot. Have heard that for a few years. When CROC started, the only skis built were race skis. The only people on them were the best older junior racers, and Europa Cup skiers in a few Euro countries. They were not selling a lot of skis. They seee making fewer than 3000 pairs a year. It’s because of the background of the Augment team...race. From Nordica/Blizzard. The results have been astounding. They kick ass.

SS is a good friend. I am convinced that he can be a VERY big help to them. And I hope that whatever plan they have is ultimately a resounding success! I bet it will be subject to change.

I have spoken to three coaches who are coaching younger kids who will likely all end up on the USST or in the top ranks of NCAA. Very skilled U16’s. Thr best. I asked about Augment. Tough sell. They are all being given what they need by a few other companies; not at all like the product a typical U16 would buy through their club. If there was a faster ski, would parents buy it? Probably, as these parents tend to be hyper competitive. No budget. However, questions arise in terms of how many skis will be available, where, when a few pairs need to be replaced mid season. Not unusual to start in July with three pairs of GS, and have two be toast be January. Can they be assured of more?

The big companies have that contingency covered. One of these coaches has about a dozen pairs on hand, new and unmounted to take care of that need. He just pulls them out of his office, mounts them, sets them up and gets them ready to go. Not wringing hands over how to get an elusive pair, mid season.

Gets more demanding at the upper levels. Who is the Augment tech at the NorAm races? There is none? Ohh...maybe when we get some skiers, and need to absorb that cost.

Chicken or egg? You need, I think, great skiers to get the product accepted and in demand.
Unless you start out in a couple of niches, and make nice gains in creating awareness.

One WELL could be masters, SS’s world. That could work well. One could be trying to line up a couple of the top “technical” skiers. Problem there is that those guys want to, and do, get paid. Do they really sell skis? Research would say no. But for the non race skis...might work. It’s worth a try with one or two of them.

Race results create demand among racers. And if the demand is among those who have to pay...and will...all is good. Question is how to get the results? Because in most segments the best do not need to pay. And whether Augment will put $200K of comp’d or free product out there? And whether they are truly that good.

The testing and comparing is quite rigorous at the top levels. Many people on a test hill, lots of effort....and, all about the clock. ALL.

These may be a high end race ski that doubles as an incredible free ski. We’ll see.

Exciting to watch, and exciting to have SS on their team!!!!

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
I hope that he can remain healthy, stay in the Austrian system and keep getting WC starts. With the recent change in how FIS points are calculated to reward WC results over EC and Continental Cups, Daniel has a window of opportunity as his world ranking just dropped from something in the 50-60 range to 30-32. Not a single thing to do with any recent race results. He skis just GS, BTW. This creates a huge opportunity.

With a bib number in the low 30’s or less, this is his time to qualify for a second run and score WC points. I hope that his new ski choice propels him to do well, and that regardless of how much of a role it plays, Augment can get some great press and capitalize it. It is a great opportunity....smart move by them. He was very close to being dropped by the Austrian system. His injury history and now good health probably kept him in. Rossignol dropped him, elected not to renew his contract.

The guy has talent but has had no good luck. And unlike the USA, in Europe people tend to know quite a bit about the sport, who is who, etc. If Daniel can produce results, Augment can capitalize.

So now “free” of that Rossi relationship, I am guessing that he took a hard look at what might make him fastest, as he was not in a position to get much of a payday. My hunch is that he was looking for the best skis for him. Not the best {or any} contract. When these things take place you often get an indication of what ski truly performs best for the skier. When the skier is in a position to get paid, the whole process changes. Almost never does the athlete end up on a ski other that from the company offering the best payday. This may be a move to salvage a career, and to get the best skis to do it. Have no insight.

The USST’s Tim Jitloff made this same move late in his career when CROC {now Augment}was launching and after he had been cut by a Fischer, and not pleased with his Stockli deal. He raved about the CROC. And the selection was pretty darn transparent. He tried them, was excited about them, made the move.

There are a large number of factors that play into this game, including the pool fees that a ski company must pay the national federation {the USST’s are just onerous}, the tech support, etc. I won’t cover the whole thing. At the top levels, it’s more than the ski itself.

I am guessing Daniel will be in essentially the same boot. Blue versus white. Lange versus Rossi. That may be a very important thing for him. Varies by athlete. Some learn that a new company building your boots does NOT work that well.

I would love to see Augment get real serious about top level racing in this country. I am VERY excited about this relationship with @ScotsSkier. I hope that his skis work exceptionally well, and that they listen to his ski and business acumen. He can be a big help. I will be honest, though, what I read and hear about their “plan” seems to confuse me.

“Getting real serious” takes a huge investment and is not easy. It also may take more manufacturing capacity than they may currently have. I think they would need to “comp” a number of athletes, at six-eight pairs each. And those athletes and coaches would need to be “sold” on the performance of the skis. Based on SS’s impressions, that performance piece should be doable.

If I am a top level U16, I, my parents and my coach{es} tend to go with what had proven to work, be fast, and what the national race directors can get me.....from Europe. That piece is important. Same thing takes place as I enter the FIS years and ascent there. NorAm’s and NCAA...yep. Everybody is interested in the very best pairs of skis. As a retired USST skier put it to me last week: “Because they REALLY F****** MATTER!”

I am convicrd these are a great high end race ski. I hope that figure the rest out. These are high end, highest end RACE skis. No offense, folks, but not what many here need, includung those who feel like a “FIS SL” is some silver bullet to your skiing. As in you must have a pair for hard snow carving. You might love a FIS spec ski, but you probably don’t a Hirscher layup!

Sorry to offend anybody with that. Ask anybody who runs the distribution and service of race product, and they’ll explain that we are not who they build skis for. But since it’s hard to sell ANY skis, we do see more race oriented shops putting some women’s and men’s FIS spec SL on the wall. Are those the true high end layup?...almost never, IME. SS and I have discussed this a lot over the years as we have had access to “real” skis....often true WC skis. They would make no difference to me. To my kids. Racing at ages 16-25...big. All of them sourced through different channels.

Having these skis available through a conventional distribution channel is nice opportunity.

Assume these are really great “real deal” skis. For the right purpose and pilot. Have heard that for a few years. When CROC started, the only skis built were race skis. The only people on them were the best older junior racers, and Europa Cup skiers in a few Euro countries. They were not selling a lot of skis. They seee making fewer than 3000 pairs a year. It’s because of the background of the Augment team...race. From Nordica/Blizzard. The results have been astounding. They kick ass.

SS is a good friend. I am convinced that he can be a VERY big help to them. And I hope that whatever plan they have is ultimately a resounding success! I bet it will be subject to change.

I have spoken to three coaches who are coaching younger kids who will likely all end up on the USST or in the top ranks of NCAA. Very skilled U16’s. Thr best. I asked about Augment. Tough sell. They are all being given what they need by a few other companies; not at all like the product a typical U16 would buy through their club. If there was a faster ski, would parents buy it? Probably, as these parents tend to be hyper competitive. No budget. However, questions arise in terms of how many skis will be available, where, when a few pairs need to be replaced mid season. Not unusual to start in July with three pairs of GS, and have two be toast be January. Can they be assured of more?

The big companies have that contingency covered. One of these coaches has about a dozen pairs on hand, new and unmounted to take care of that need. He just pulls them out of his office, mounts them, sets them up and gets them ready to go. Not wringing hands over how to get an elusive pair, mid season.

Gets more demanding at the upper levels. Who is the Augment tech at the NorAm races? There is none? Ohh...maybe when we get some skiers, and need to absorb that cost.

Chicken or egg? You need, I think, great skiers to get the product accepted and in demand.
Unless you start out in a couple of niches, and make nice gains in creating awareness.

One WELL could be masters, SS’s world. That could work well. One could be trying to line up a couple of the top “technical” skiers. Problem there is that those guys want to, and do, get paid. Do they really sell skis? Research would say no. But for the non race skis...might work. It’s worth a try with one or two of them.

Race results create demand among racers. And if the demand is among those who have to pay...and will...all is good. Question is how to get the results? Because in most segments the best do not need to pay. And whether Augment will put $200K of comp’d or free product out there? And whether they are truly that good.

The testing and comparing is quite rigorous at the top levels. Many people on a test hill, lots of effort....and, all about the clock. ALL.

These may be a high end race ski that doubles as an incredible free ski. We’ll see.

Exciting to watch, and exciting to have SS on their team!!!!

@Muleski I'm not sure what "plan" you're talking about but we'd welcome the opportunity to hear your thoughts.

Regarding skis, you'll be surprised that Augment is far better than the other companies, and it's quite simple why. First of all, most if not all of the major ski companies make various versions of their race skis. The better you are, the better version you're entitled to. With Augment, there's only one version, the very best ski, and that goes all the way down to our 138SL and 164GS (soon to be 132 and 154 for the 20/21 ski season). If a parent is truly supportive of their child's ski career, Augment offers them the best ski, hands down.

Regarding availability, the major brands cue up their factories in the Spring and Summer and they're shut by now as they start to work on next year's samples. Augment produces year round and when we've asked for skis in December, the answer has only been, can you wait two weeks for us to make more. We can assure you that if the other brands get asked that same question, they'll tell you that if it's not in the warehouse (it rarely is in December anymore), then you'll have to go searching the retail floors for what you're looking for. This is from our experience in the industry and what we've been told by retail shops and customers. Being a smaller brand, Augment (who does produce their own skis in their own factory) have a level of flexibility that others just don't have. We hope that never changes. At maximum volume, Augment will always be a smaller brand.

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
@Muleski sorry for the follow up reply but your reply was so long, I'm trying to pull out the key points.

When you say that brands don't make skis for "you" but only for top racers, you're incorrect. What sets Augment apart, yet again, is the ability to buy that top level ski in a softer flex. We offer flexes from 1-10 with 1 being extra stiff. Daniel Meier will take a 1 or 2 and you may choose a 7 or 8. One of the US Ski Team techs said it best that he believes every beginning FIS skier should be on Augment because of the great service from Austria and the ability to choose your flex. The same goes for Masters. You may want that 193 GS ski but at 56 years sold (for example), do you really want the same flex of ski as Daniel Meier? You can get pick your skis, standing next to Daniel at the factory, he may choose the 1 while that 56yo chooses the 7 flex. Same ski otherwise. Augment is a brand made for Masters who can share, discuss, and ultimately pick the perfect flex for their skiing ability, experience, and age.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
@Augment Skis,

I’m choosing not to engage in this. You’re a rep, a sales guy, evidently committed to the retail channel. Which is perfect for this community. As is the interest in Masters. I hope that both you and Augment have much success.

I have been aware of the ski, the Croc, since it’s infancy. Family of mine, with close fries to Nordica, skied the early skis and were impressed.

If we venture into the arena of the world’s best U16’s and the best U19 FIS skiers, it will not be a discussion appropriate for this forum. That simple.

I’m interested to hear about the comments of “the USST tech.” Good to hear. I know every guy teching in the USST system. Very surprising statement. Maybe those coaching the top young FIS racers will share that. First you need to get the skis under the athletes’ feet.

All the best. Great product. Good luck with the entire lineup.

Over and out.

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
I remember a couple years ago a salesman for a large ski company came on this site and compared his product against some of the others and he hasn’t been heard from since and for me it was a good thing he hasn’t been heard from since, please don’t ask me to remember his site name because I don’t.
To me it just didn’t pass the smell test and neither does this.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I remember a couple years ago a salesman for a large ski company came on this site and compared his product against some of the others and he hasn’t been heard from since and for me it was a good thing he hasn’t been heard from since, please don’t ask me to remember his site name because I don’t.
To me it just didn’t pass the smell test and neither does this.
I am sorry, please clarify what doesn't meet the smell test? Yes, @Augment Skis is the U.S. distributor of Augment skis, he has "Official Pugski Sponsor" right under his name, he is not hiding behind a fake screen name and saying the skis are great as a third party. Yes, Augment IS a paid advertiser on Pugski.com. Have you read the reviews from various respected reviewers on the site saying that not only the race skis but even their recreational skis were some of, if not the best skis that the ever have skied? @ScotsSkier, @FairToMiddlin @Drahtguy Kevin, @Ron, @KingGrump and myself to name a few. @Scotskier can ski any ski he wants and IMHO knowing him personally would not sacrifice one place standing in a race for a free ski or even a "deal". For him to proclaim that he is committed to the brand says a ton to me and adds a tremendous amount of validity to how good these sks are.

So again, I am not sure what you mean by not meeting the smell test. Be it from Augment or us as a site. If you know something that is inaccurate or disingenuous please feel free to PM me and we will address it.

Primoz

Skiing the powder
Skier
I know I probably should stay out of this, but @Philpug you do realize how your writing in protection of "Official Pugski Sponsor" adding "some of, if not the best skis that the ever" sounds? Exactly this is reason, why I don't give a shit about magazines, where articles are paid PR articles and not real stuff, and I was certainly hoping this won't turn into same thing. I admit I don't know any of you in person, or maybe I do, just that I have no idea you are under certain nickname on this forum, but I honestly doubt, regardless on "he would never sacrifice his name stating something not 110% true even if it's against company that sponsors you", once you get money or any other deal from company, that you are 100% objective. Well... I don't doubt, I'm sure about this. I'm not 3 years old kid, so I experienced enough in my life to be sure about certain things. So for me personally such things are actually taking away usability and especially objectivity of this forum, as it's turning into paid PR stunt without a single bit of relevance (exactly as those 2 PR postings above which are only that and nothing else, and most of claims are so ridiculous to anyone at least a bit into race business that it's useless to even respond to that), but it's not my choice. My choice is only if I want to participate in PR stunt like this or not. I know I already did when I decided to write this, but will stay out of it from now on.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know I probably should stay out of this, but @Philpug you do realize how your writing in protection of "Official Pugski Sponsor" adding "some of, if not the best skis that the ever" sounds? Exactly this is reason, why I don't give a shit about magazines, where articles are paid PR articles and not real stuff, and I was certainly hoping this won't turn into same thing. I admit I don't know any of you in person, or maybe I do, just that I have no idea you are under certain nickname on this forum, but I honestly doubt, regardless on "he would never sacrifice his name stating something not 110% true even if it's against company that sponsors you", once you get money or any other deal from company, that you are 100% objective. Well... I don't doubt, I'm sure about this. I'm not 3 years old kid, so I experienced enough in my life to be sure about certain things. So for me personally such things are actually taking away usability and especially objectivity of this forum, as it's turning into paid PR stunt without a single bit of relevance (exactly as those 2 PR postings above which are only that and nothing else, and most of claims are so ridiculous to anyone at least a bit into race business that it's useless to even respond to that), but it's not my choice. My choice is only if I want to participate in PR stunt like this or not. I know I already did when I decided to write this, but will stay out of it from now on.
I am sorry you think this is a PR stunt. We actually posted this press release before Augment commited to signed on. All of the testers reviews of thse skis were also done before Augment came aboard as an advertiser. If you also take a look at our reviews of skis such as ones from Volkl and Head, two brands that do not advertise with us, we also have given them some stellar reviews and they have received numerous "Tester's Choice" awards. Does that mean that we suggest them to everyone? No. I think we have been very transparent in our review and please feel to reference any suggestion or recommendantion that myself or even any of our reviewer have given that was a bad suggestion to anyone based upon a brand that advertises with us. IMHO, our suggestions and opions are much more genuine than someone that suggests a ski or product based on the the fact that they just bought it and if it's good for them therefore it must be good for everyone, that too me is much more dangerous. I am sure you can go though many posts here where that has happened.

We all have our biases with types of skis and even brands, I talk about that here, The Unbiased Biased Review. Honestly if we suggest a ski based solely on someone who advertises with us and that is a bad suggestion, does that one sale help anyone? Does it help that brand? Does it help the skier? Does it help us? No to every one of those questions, I have been told that by every single product manager I have talked to about this and they appreciate the fact that we do NOT do that. We have never suggested there was one best ski, I said one of the best skis. If you read any of our reviews, we are always clear to add "Who is the ski NOT for?" along with who it is for.

Back to the "PR stunt" concern, we have posted numerous Press Releases from brands, manufacturers, ski areas and alike all that do advertise with us and several who do not. We post them as they come to us. As far as @ScotsSkier's motives, I am pretty sure that he apporached Augment to build a relationship and not the other way around but I wil let him expand on that. But I have full faith that he will still be recommending other race options where he see's fit and in my decade plus of knowing him, he has earned that trust from myself and the tens of thousands of people that have read his posts and for you to question him because he found a product that he has found works for him and he is tranparent enough to post it, is very unfair to him and the readers.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know I probably should stay out of this, but
Actually, I'm glad you brought this up because it offers us another opportunity to reinforce the emphasis that we try to stay unbiased, even though all skiers have some biases.

I have long been a fan of Tecnica Blizzard, yet they have never advertised with us.
Last year I was involved with the Nordica Proto Project for the Santa Ana 88. I really like that ski and think its a ski that fits the skiing style of a lot of women, in fact I'm confident that my long term review and the fact that I've let several women demo my pair has sold many of those skis. Yet, Nordica does not and never has advertised with us.

Quite often, when we are at demos with our test team we have no idea who will be signing on as advertisers, including Augment.

So, thank you for giving us an opportunity to share our review practices.

*If there is anything that I think is wrong with this thread, is that the title should include - Press Release -

Last edited:

Viking9

Out on the slopes
Skier
Phil there is nothing wrong AT ALL with anyone talking about how good or bad a ski is and I sincerely hope Augment does great and sells a million skis and I hope that Pugski and SS and the rest of your review team has something to do with it, you all seem to be VERY FAIR and act in a trustworthy way.
My statement was about someone like the gentleman from Augment saying HIS product is better than THEIR product, HE’S TOO FAR UP THE FOOD CHAIN.
If Bob from Bobs Ski and Sport says it , fine, if Red Dog films says it ,fine , if SS says it that’s great he does a great job and people should value his opinion.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil there is nothing wrong AT ALL with anyone talking about how good or bad a ski is and I sincerely hope Augment does great and sells a million skis and I hope that Pugski and SS and the rest of your review team has something to do with it, you all seem to be VERY FAIR and act in a trustworthy way.
My statement was about someone like the gentleman from Augment saying HIS product is better than THEIR product, HE’S TOO FAR UP THE FOOD CHAIN.
If Bob from Bobs Ski and Sport says it , fine, if Red Dog films says it ,fine , if SS says it that’s great he does a great job and people should value his opinion.
I think I understand where you're coming from.
In @Augment Skis case, you'd rather see him post something like;
This is how Augment is different from other brands in how we build skis for a variety of racers from the WC athlete to the aging Masters racer to the young athlete who needs a softer flex in a competitive ski

Instead of;
This is how Augment is better than other brands...

Am I getting the gist of it?

DocGKR

Stuck at work...
Skier
"But I have full faith that he will still be recommending other race options where he see's fit and in my decade plus of knowing him, he has earned that trust from myself and the tens of thousands of people that have read his posts and for you to question him because he found a product that he has found works for him and he is tranparent enough to post it, is very unfair to him and the readers."

I am just getting back into Masters Racing after a several decade absence--I had planned on purchasing several Augment FIS race skis for this Fall, but ScotsSkier recently recommended I stick with the Rossi FIS 165 SL and Head women's FIS 188 GS skis I currently have for a while longer.....

It is quite clear ScotsSkier is looking out for each skier's best interests and trying to aid their skill development; he is absolutely not just pimping a specific brand.

Where I come from, that is called integrity.....

Augment Skis

Getting on the lift
Manufacturer
This is THE most exciting thread I've read in ages. I hope Augment rocks and I can find a pair of SL skis somewhere in Ontario!
@Csr_jr we'd welcome the opportunity to get you on a pair of skis. We're getting close to signing retailers in Canada but if you need them, you could always order through us in the meantime.

Sponsor

Staff online