• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dang It! Laid Off Again

TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Now, the question is, will @Chris Walker get to ski much this winter...:popcorn:

Well, for now the left knee is still a limiting factor there, unfortunately. :crutches:I'm thinking I'll be able to ski again in about a month, but it will be strictly weekend warrioring; I won't have much vacation time. Tradeoffs...

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Well, for now the left knee is still a limiting factor there, unfortunately. :crutches:I'm thinking I'll be able to ski again in about a month, but it will be strictly weekend warrioring; I won't have much vacation time. Tradeoffs...
Sending good vibes

@Core2 I wish you the best in your endeavors :D

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well my beloved contract assignment will be ending on 10/3. Been here for almost 5 months. First gig I've liked in a while. Sad like I've been here for years. They got approval to hire another attorney to help my boss. Bad news is that means there's no budget for my temp position. Boss offered to give me a great reference. I'm just really bummed cause I was hoping to stay here. I'll be ok because another assignment will come up but it's going to be hard to leave in 2 weeks when I say bye to everyone and not tear up. Life goes on...………………. something else will come along.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Well my beloved contract assignment will be ending on 10/3. Been here for almost 5 months. First gig I've liked in a while. Sad like I've been here for years. They got approval to hire another attorney to help my boss. Bad news is that means there's no budget for my temp position. Boss offered to give me a great reference. I'm just really bummed cause I was hoping to stay here. I'll be ok because another assignment will come up but it's going to be hard to leave in 2 weeks when I say bye to everyone and not tear up. Life goes on...………………. something else will come along.

Sorry to hear that, ssg. At least ski season is approaching, you could always delay the job search and ski the blues away.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
I feel your pain. Some projects are a lot harder to leave than others. Says the guy who has been on 10 projects in the past 7 years.

On the bright side, the next one could be even better!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I feel your pain. Some projects are a lot harder to leave than others. Says the guy who has been on 10 projects in the past 7 years.

On the bright side, the next one could be even better!

Thanks. This was the first assignment I've had in the almost year I've been doing this where I'm heartbroken at leaving.............. I hope to get lucky again with my next gig. In the meantime I've got 2 weeks left so I'll try to do a good job. My boss has offered to be a reference for me so this makes me happy.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Sorry to hear that, ssg. At least ski season is approaching, you could always delay the job search and ski the blues away.

Thank.s Yeah sliding on snow will definitely make me feel better but I have a few weeks before that's a reality. I do have a few weeks of unemployment left that I could tap into if need be. In the meantime I've got my feelers out so I'll see what comes along. It's exciting in a way. What I'd really love is if my SO said ok let's move to vermont full time. I've learned to adapt my budget over the last year so I can make it work up there easy enough. I've got my hat thrown in the ring for a couple different opportunities so we'll see what happens. I'm looking forward to October 4th which is my first day off.

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks. This was the first assignment I've had in the almost year I've been doing this where I'm heartbroken at leaving.............. I hope to get lucky again with my next gig. In the meantime I've got 2 weeks left so I'll try to do a good job. My boss has offered to be a reference for me so this makes me happy.

Sorry to hear but with with positive vibes hoping you land even a better job. Hoping you have a good network built up where you friends or associates can point you to a new job.

oh, I'll presume your boss is giving you a good reference ogsmile, not trying to question but just took my kid to a Vet School visit, our tour guide, a 3rd year student reminded us that with references always check up front that it's glowing and not just "ok". Noted a handful of applicants professional references turn out to be not so great.

worst case, maybe more time on the hills this season!

Carolinacub

Yes thats a Cubs hat I'm wearing
Skier
Sorry to hear but with with positive vibes hoping you land even a better job. Hoping you have a good network built up where you friends or associates can point you to a new job.

oh, I'll presume your boss is giving you a good reference ogsmile, not trying to question but just took my kid to a Vet School visit, our tour guide, a 3rd year student reminded us that with references always check up front that it's glowing and not just "ok". Noted a handful of applicants professional references turn out to be not so great.

worst case, maybe more time on the hills this season!
I'm a headhunter and you all would be amazed at how often our candidates give us a list of references to call and when we do the call the reference is ….well lets just say less than glowing. Even better is when you call and the reference says I haven't talked to that person in 10 years and they sucked at their job back then.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
My last day at my assignment is this Thursday and it's going to be a tough couple days. Lunch with my boss today and farewell lunch thursday with the office . I've only been here 6-7 months, I shouldn't be this bummed right. I dig these people, this job and I really like working for a non profit. Coming from my hedge fund back ground I feel like this job has given me my soul back. I'm not big on crying in public and I know there will be other assignments but this one was special. I know chin up and hopefully I'll be skiing soon as that'll be the best therapy. I have a possible lead on an assignment that's 3 days a week with great pay so that'll be very convenient for the approaching ski season. Our lease in CT is up in January and my SO's boss has ok'd him to work from Vermont... if only I could convince him to do it........

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My last day at my assignment is this Thursday and it's going to be a tough couple days. Lunch with my boss today and farewell lunch thursday with the office . I've only been here 6-7 months, I shouldn't be this bummed right. I dig these people, this job and I really like working for a non profit. Coming from my hedge fund back ground I feel like this job has given me my soul back. I'm not big on crying in public and I know there will be other assignments but this one was special. I know chin up and hopefully I'll be skiing soon as that'll be the best therapy. I have a possible lead on an assignment that's 3 days a week with great pay so that'll be very convenient for the approaching ski season. Our lease in CT is up in January and my SO's boss has ok'd him to work from Vermont... if only I could convince him to do it........

Wouldn’t you save $ not paying rent in CT? And I understand why leaving the nonprofit will be hard. It is special when you feel connected to a place of employment.

I resigned from my teaching job at the end of last school year. Since I am 53, not 55, I couldn’t officially retire early. The job had become so stressful that I was getting sick every few weeks. The joy of teaching was gone. Besides wanting to preserve my health and sanity, I didn’t want to become one of those burned out teachers that everybody hates. So I left on my own terms. My superintendent tried to bargain with me to stay, so I guess that was nice. But there was no fixing that job to make it tenable. So I will “retire” officially in 2 years, even though I no longer teach, ha.

So now I work part time at a ski shop. Some things I do there right now are mundane (like handling new inventory). But I see the progress I made each day and that is satisfying. I am lucky to have a husband with a good paying, satisfying career so we continue to have financial stability. I acknowledge others aren’t as lucky.

I like to work. But I now enjoy having time to myself, which was nonexistent before. So I don’t think I could ever work full time again. Looking at job postings, I hate all the jargon used...reminds me of all the edu-lingo my administrators used, and I hated, in my teaching job. I am content to transition from being a public servant to relative obscurity!

That said, I cannot imagine the stress and frustration of having a job for a few years, then being laid off, and having to start all over again.

Last edited:

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Wouldn’t you save $ not paying rent in CT? And I understand why leaving the nonprofit will be hard. It is special when you feel connected to a place of employment.

I resigned from my teaching job at the end of last school year. Since I am 53, not 55, I couldn’t officially retire early. The job had become so stressful that I was getting sick every few weeks. The joy of teaching was gone. Besides wanting to preserve my health and sanity, I didn’t want to become one of those burned out teachers that everybody hates. So I left on my own terms. My superintendent tried to bargain with me to stay, so I guess that was nice. But there was no fixing that job to make it tenable. So I will “retire” officially in 2 years, even though I no longer teach, ha.

So now I work part time at a ski shop. Some things I do there right now are mundane (like handling new inventory). But I see the progress I made each day and that is satisfying. I am lucky to have a husband with a good paying, satisfying career so we continue to have financial stability. I acknowledge others aren’t as lucky.

I like to work. But I now enjoy having time to myself, which was nonexistent before. So I don’t think I could ever work full time again. Looking at job postings, I hate all the jargon used...reminds me of all the edu-lingo my administrators used, and I hated, in my teaching job. I am content to transition from being a public servant to relative obscurity!

That said, I cannot imagine the stress and frustration of having a job for a few years, then being laid off, and having to start all over again.

We would save soo much money if we didn't have to pay rent in CT. No mortgage on condo in VT and only expenses are association dues, internet and taxes which compared to CT are a walk in the park. Our lease is up in 3 months and I'd love nothing more than to permanently head north. With the exception of this job I'm so over working in an office. I'd love to get a job at Bromley because it would be all year with 6 weeks in fall/spring where I could collect unemployment. I'd make less money sure but our expenses would be a lot lower. I'm working on him :) I can't tell you how many job offers we've had in VT, they seem very thirsty for competent people.

Congratulations on your early retirement. I'm sorry about the circumstances that lead up to it but glad you were able to get out and preserve your health and sanity. A friend of mine was in a similar situation with her teaching job and she ended up quitting because it wasn't good for her health and she lost the joy of teaching as well.

I really want to work in a ski shop one day. I like to work and always want to and I honestly don't believe I'd have any trouble with employment in Vermont.

I've been temping for the past year so I've gotten used to assignments starting and stopping. I admittedly put myself in a lower financial position because I was burned out from working in hedge funds. Sure I made good money and had lunch bought for me but I was F'in miserable.............................. When I got laid off last November I took my severance and dove head first into working as a temp and I haven't regretted it.

My SO makes good money and I'd love it if he took his boss's offer to work from home and I could further delve into Vermont life. It would be good for Michael too. He doesn't want to come home on Sunday's either. That said he doesn't want to do that because he doesn't work well from home. I'm working on convincing him he could cheaply rent office space somewhere, really just a desk with wifi so that he could get out of the house. Michael's not good with change so I'm trying not to pressure him but try to make him see I'm right this time :). Change can be good.

A lesson I've learned is making less money is ok with me because even though I've had less in my pockets in the last year I've been a hell of a lot happier.

You sound happy at at peace and that's good. You are fortunate to have a supportive hubby and I'm sure he is happy knowing how happy you are. It's all about quality of life.

Last edited:

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
@surfsnowgirl -- Maybe price out some other options -- you being in VT full-time with the cats, Michael working a compressed schedule in CT and renting a room or something small. If he's not ready to commit to a bigger change, small steps might be more comfortable for him. Unless that has already been ruled out.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
@surfsnowgirl -- Maybe price out some other options -- you being in VT full-time with the cats, Michael working a compressed schedule in CT and renting a room or something small. If he's not ready to commit to a bigger change, small steps might be more comfortable for him. Unless that has already been ruled out.

I like that idea a lot. We've talked about that too. He could do that from T-Th or something and work in VT M and F. Something like that. I think that would be a nice segue. We are in VT about every weekend all year long and it really its getting harder to come home on Sundays and I hate leaving the cats. It also kills me to pay what we pay for rent when we really are just there to work during the week. Not to mention I our cat sitter whom I pay every weekend so that the cats get lots of attention.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Well my last day is today and they had a pizza part for me. I managed to get through my lunch without bursting into tears but it was close. I have 2 offers for recommendations, and the President came by to shake my hand, said it was an absolute pleasure to have me and if I ever needed anything to reach out. I haven't had a send off like this in quite a while. Hard to believe I've only been here 6 months. The bar has been set very high because this place was so wonderful. We talked about keeping touch, I'll still be in the area so maybe have lunch one day. I've only been here for 6 months but it feels like years in a good way. I'm very sad but am so grateful for this send off and am a little excited at what could be around the corner.

Good things might be happening after I leave here. A couple phone interviews tomorrow, an in person interview next wednesday. Plus a possible 2 month assignment for ESPN. Everything is great with this one, salary, duties. It's a bit farther than I'd like to go. However, pay makes up for it and it's north of where I live so it'll put me 30 minutes closer to Vermont on a Friday so that works for me. One door closes and others open. Still bittersweet though. Lastly I reached out to the head of HR at Bromley mountain regarding a marketing position they are trying to fill. Erik knows me and we've been exchanging emails. We are having a phone conversation tomorrow. This may not work right now since I'm still in CT during the week but it's a great foot in the door opportunity for future. Honestly my ultimate goal is to work for the mountain in the winter'/summer and collect unemployment for the 6 weeks they are closed in mud season in the spring and stick season in the fall. I'm ready for a job, not a career per say. I'm pretty excited too as this saturday and next I'm working for 3.5 hours in the adventure park at Bromley helping out so I'm looking forward to this. I will close today out by hanging out at Diageo's offices down the street as my friend works there and happy hour at the office is from 5-7 so it'll be lovely to hang with his coworkers while sipping on Oban. Not sure if they'll have everything they distribute but I hear their bar is just like an UK pub so I think this will be a nice way to end the day.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Got this a few days ago from my job that ended... Just when I hadn't cried in a few days.

20191008_150424.jpg
20191008_150432.jpg

I start my new gig next Tuesday; a 1-2 month assignment in a downtown stamford law firm. I am not a law firm person so thankful it's temporary. They didn't seem to care about my purple hair or my nose piercing so maybe they aren't so bad. Building has valet parking so that's an interesting perk.

Movin on.......

Last edited:

pete

not peace but 2 Beers!
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
you have the 2 mo gig which is good, noted your SO likes working in an office but thought that if the option presents itself trying the part time from VT to just see how it works out. worst case its back to only weekends, best case is he doesn't mind it, enjoys it a bit and simply starts your long term goals a bit sooner.

dovski

Waxing my skis and praying for snow
Skier
I don’t think you can get unemployment payments when you’re still receiving severance pay. So not much point in applying too early, does it?

I was laid off a couple years back, at the end of year. Perfect timing to ski my heart out. Landed a job in July, better pay than before. Nice little beeak.
It actually depends how they structure it. if you have a WARN notice which is typically 2-3 months notice you are technically still an employee and cannot get unemployment until you are officially terminated, after that you can apply even if there is a severance package. My former employer always did the three months notice plus severance after 3 months,

Sponsor

Staff online