• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dang It! Laid Off Again

TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
I had to look up 'Instructional Design'. It sounds like ski instruction. ogsmile

from Wikipedia:

Seriously, best of luck with the job search, @Chris Walker .

Yeah especially the "The outcome of this instruction may be...completely hidden and assumed." part, in my case. :roflmao:

Not sure what they meant by that, but yeah it's basically just a methodology for how to teach things that can be applied to any endeavor. I kind of stumbled into the field about 15 years ago looking for an escape hatch from tech support. ogsmile

Thanks Doug!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I have been laid off a few times in my career. If/when I get laid off again i wish for it to be just before winter which has never happened. This way I can enjoy unemployment, ski a ton and casually look for work. A girl can dream.

Glad you found something so fast. Luck and timing are 2 things one of my recruiter friends always says.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Some of my friends haven't had to dream that dream, @surfsnowgirl . They lived it. Having an SO that understands helps in this scenario. I know I've annoyed my previous SO when I skied as much as I did being self-employed. I can't imagine how she'd have felt if I were un-employed.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Some of my friends haven't had to dream that dream, @surfsnowgirl . They lived it. Having an SO that understands helps in this scenario. I know I've annoyed my previous SO when I skied as much as I did being self-employed. I can't imagine how she'd have felt if I were un-employed.

Having an understanding SO is definitely a plus. Mine understands, he may roll is eyes a little but he knows what makes me happy and a happy me makes for a happy him. My goal before I retire from corporate land will be to be a temp. I've enough experience and know enough recruiters so I can just temp away and likely have Friday's off so i can have long weekends and/or take a week off in between assignments so I can ski more.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Now it's my turn. I was laid off today. I've been very unhappy here for a long time but the people are nice and the benefits are off the charts. That said the commute sucks and I'm not in to the micromanagy style of how they manage things here. The commute and the micromanagement are things that have always been here but the other benefits were so good that I've put on my brave face and sucked it up. It's over as of today. I was initially freaking out because we close on the condo tomorrow and I'm going to have to explain to my SO what happened. However, they were very kind to me with the package they offered so everything will be just fine. I can now concentrate on our condo, see what I can do about landing some consulting work and ski my a$$ off. Come the new year I can apply for unemployment if I need to. I've been wanting to consult for a long time so I think I might take this opportunity to network with all my recruiter contacts and do just that. I have tears in my eyes but not for the reasons you might think, I no longer have to commute here and I can get my quality of life back. I admit I was secretly hoping they'd lay me off and would give me this kind of package and thank you stars above as that's exactly what happened. Everything will be ok!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
It really can be a blessing in disguise. Can suck at first if it's a shock but you never know what's around the corner SO will take it well I'm sure.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I'm going to try to capitalize on midweek skiing as much as I can during this time. I'd love just to move to VT but my SO still has his serious gig in CT so I have to consider that. I'd be perfectly happy teaching 2 days a week, working 3 days a week somewhere where I can get 8 hours of straight hourly pay and then ski on my 2 days off during the week. He will be ok and I'll let him know what my package is which will calm him down. We are so opposite. He's Mr. Calm planner stay at a job for 30 years. I'm the change jobs every 2-3 years type. I know this makes him nervous but I've never been without a job for long so this makes him feel better. Unemployment in CT is more than decent so if it comes to that I can live off that come 1/1. Will talk to SO tonight. Sounds totally clichéd but everything things happens for a reason and things will work out.