• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dang It! Laid Off Again

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
Starting to get a tad fed up with Corporate America. But, my kid's starting college next year so my impulse of selling everything and moving to the mountains is probably the wrong call. I hope this doesn't put a damper on my ski season;if I'm burning through my savings, ski trips probably aren't a financial probability. :(

Just when my knee was giving me confidence that medical reasons would keep me out off the hill this year, too. Well, wish me luck. I hate job hunting so much...:doh:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Pack up the kids and move to Bozeman ! The place is slamming with job openings, heard last night local unemployment is at 2% ?!?

Bridger at one end of town and of course BS just an hour up the road.

Seriously, wishing you luck with college on the horizon.

Mazama

Booting up
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That is rough! Send your kids to MSU after you move to Bozeman! Great town and depending on what your kid wants to study, it can be a great school! (disclaimer: I went to MSU and also lived in Bozeman). Best of luck finding a great job!

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I've been there. Was there last year. Corporate America is a pain in the a$$. What do you do. Hows unemployment where you are. Bonus if you got severance. Can you temp or do consulting work while you look? Hang in there. Something else WILL come along.

I'm sort of a habitual networker so send me a pm if i can help you network at all.

Last edited:

Jim McDonald

愛スキー
Skier
Tough one, Chris. Best of luck getting a new (and better!) gig.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Bad berries!
Had that happen a couple of times, that is why I am in my 3rd career. We sold everything we could and moved back to skier friendly country. The trick is not telling the kids where you are going or they will find you.

THIS IS NOT A TRUE STORY! The 3rd career part is though. Be open to different possibilities, you might really like where you end up, I did.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've been laid off by many of the best companies around Portland Oregon: HP, IBM, Intel, National Semiconductor, Virtensys All of these high-tech companies hire like crazy for the latest project/idea and then lay off later when that risky new project doesn't pan out and "hockey stick" on the sales chart when introduced. The last time I was laid off, my financial adviser told me I had saved enough for retirement. So I called myself retired for a year and did the "Oregon Ski Safari" that winter. (Every Area, Every Lift, Every Run). Unfortunately while I thought I was retired, my wife thought I was unemployed. So I've worked the last 2 summers (contract design engineering) and take winters off for skiing. I'm "Retiring" again tomorrow (Sept 7th) for the 3rd time because the client ran out of money. That's OK, I was only going to stay until the November snows arrived.

Have you considered contracting, and perhaps only for a portion of the year -- the portion without snow?

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m so sorry. The last time I was laid off landed me with the company I’m at now where I’ve been for over 9 years. They’re also paying a significant portion of my law degree. I hope you end up in just as good a situation, whatever that is for you.

TS
Chris Walker

Chris Walker

Ullr Is Lord
Skier
This is why you buy your season pass as early as possible, and while still employed.

Oh, yeah. Ski pass was purchased in March, a week before I hurt myself and wondered if I'd be physically able to ski. :doh: But the knees's healing well, and the pass is already paid for, so I'll definitely be able to do my day trips to Winter Park. But this could throw cold water on any out-of-town trips and my racing habit. :(

Well, Thanks everyone for your sympathy, encouragement and well-wishes. It really means a lot.

I'm an instructional designer in Denver. There seem to be a lot of openings at the moment, so I'm cautiously optimistic of a quick placement. :crossfingers::crossfingers:

Picking up and moving to Bozeman sounds incredibly tempting, but my wife just got a job at Spyder in Boulder, :yahoo:so she would probably kill me! :roflmao:

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fascinating line of work. I’m deep into it on the student side as I’m part of DU Law’s inaugural class of their new Professional Part-Time JD program which is a hybrid on campus and online program. We’re all stumbling through the growing pains together. :eek::doh::huh::crossfingers:

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
This would keep you busy during your job search.

Ski.com offering "Epic Dream Job", travel the world and get paid
The website ski.com and Vail Resorts are offering an "Epic Dream Job" which involves taking someone to seven countries on three continents and 18 resorts.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I had to look up 'Instructional Design'. It sounds like ski instruction. ogsmile

from Wikipedia:
The process consists broadly of determining the state and needs of the learner, defining the end goal of instruction, and creating some "intervention" to assist in the transition. The outcome of this instruction may be directly observable and scientifically measured or completely hidden and assumed.

Seriously, best of luck with the job search, @Chris Walker .