• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
This is a camp I've wanted to do for a while, and finally had the time and fitness to give it a go. It is run by Dan Egan, a skiing icon and hero of numerous Warren Miller films. It is run through the Big Sky ski school. While Dan frequently points out that he is certified in "absolutely nothing", all the other instructors are PSIA Level 3, two are currently gunning for the Alpine Demo Team, and one was in last year's Warren Miller movie (Timeless). Our Big Sky instructors were AJ, Ben, Tim, and Chris. They are all personally selected by Dan for their skill and teaching ability. Here's a breakdown of ,y experience in the camp.

DAY 1
To start the camp, we met at the ski school at 9:15 to check in and sign waivers. Around 9:30, we took Ramcharger up for warm-up run down Elk Park Meadows. Our second run down moguls on Africa was used to split us into groups by ability. I started with Dan and a Big Sky instructor named Chris. They took us through bump and tree runs off Ramcharger (Africa, Colton Hell) as well as a very steep tree run down to Thunderwolf (War Dance). There I tested my self-arrest skills after falling on a 55 degree pitch of trees in a head-down/face-up position. I slid about 200 feet, miraculously did not hit any trees, and was able to recover my skis and poles. Image below shows where I fell and slid from x to x. Did another tree/bump run down to the base for lunch.

After lunch, we met up at the ski school at 1:00. We shifted coaches (to AJ) and did a warm-up run off of Ramcharger (Ambush Glades). We then headed up Swiftcurrent and Powder Seeker for a few runs in the bowl. There we worked on general tactics for steeps. After that, we took 4 runs off of Challenger (Country Club/Highway/17th Green/Moonlight/Big Rock Tongue) working on steeps tactics as well as practicing vertical/near-vertical drop-ins that would help us prepare for Lone Peak runs and the Big Couloir. Last run we took back to the base for a final bump/tree run off of Ramcharger (Congo). Left coach at the base around 3:50. Overall, day one was about providing foundational skills geared toward getting us down the Big Couloir. We spent a lot of time learning deceleration skills in steep terrain. We also practiced skiing through tight choke-points as well as transitioning into very steep slopes. Dan seems to really want all of us to have the opportunity to succeed in the Big Couloir, even though a number of participants do not plan to attempt it.

DC24CCDD-E42D-4BCC-9C49-DAF68287D67D_1_201_a.jpeg

DAY 2
On day 2, I was “promoted” to a higher level group, and had Dan as a coach in the morning again. Conditions were bluebird, with no snow for 5 days, calm at the bottom with 40 mph wind gusts at the top.

We warmed up with a run on the bowl, then did self arrest drills, practicing in all positions both with a single ski and without skis. Then we proceeded up the tram (through the “back door”!) and after a blustery traverse, took a creamy smooth run down Lenin (which had been wind-loaded and was untouched). Worked on more steep terrain deceleration tactics as we headed down to Shedhorn lift. Back up the tram to even crazier wind conditions, we fought our way down through Yeti Traverse and Gullies Traverse. The gale-force assault dissipated as we rounded the corner to the top of the Gullies. After a “come-to-Jesus” talk about how we were in a serious no-fall zone, we shredded the smooth soft (again, wind-loaded) chute of Gully1 (pictures below), skied the bowl and headed in for lunch.

The afternoon was windier, and we couldn’t even get up Swift Current for about an hour due to wind hold. My PM coach was Tim. Making the best of the conditions, we rode Ramcharger up and did some soft tree/bump runs (Shady Chutes and Ambush Meadows), before finally making it up Swifty and Powder Seeker. By this point, the tram was closed for the rest of the day due to wind, so we spent the rest of the day seeking steeps and buttery wind-load on Challenger. We took 5 runs through variations of Highway, 17th Green, Big Rock Tongue, Moonlight, Midnight, Comet, and Outer Limits before heading home for the day. Teaching pearls for the day focused on efficient deceleration, maintaining ready body position, and “practice terrain” for the Big Couloir. Over the first two days, we were taken through progressively more steep/difficult terrain that ended up with us having skied things that were steeper than the Big, narrower than the Big, had worse snow conditions than the Big and had worse entrances than the big. At the end of day 2, Dan told us we were ready to ski the Big, and the only thing we hadn’t simulated was the sheer length of the Big.

AEFB9899-6741-4D9A-8599-8F9665BE1EED.jpeg
IMG_3862.jpeg

DAY 3
Day three began early. We met at the ski school at 7:45 and were on Ramcharger by 8:00 for three warmup laps before heading up to the peak. Conditions were firm, sunny and windy. It had not snowed in 6 days with temps in the high 30’s/low 40’s the past few days, so there was a lot of ice down low.

Dan warned us from the start that we may not get up the tram or into the Big that day, due to the wind. Nevertheless, we boarded the tram right at 9:00, riding up with patrol. Seeing the tram with zero line and walking right on was a surreal experience. There were 18 of us, so we took two trams. We got a quick pep talk and were informed that if we went through the gate, we had to ski the couloir as there was no safe way to get you back up if you bailed. Two people bailed at that point and joined the ten or so who had opted out of the BIg from the start. We then headed through the gate and lined up in an order determined by Dan. I’d like to think we went from worst to best (as I was almost last), but that probably wasn’t the case. We sideslipped down to the entrance and waited in a somewhat precarious position between the Big and the North Summit Snowfield. It was mostly calm, but some insane wind gusts (I’m guessing >50 mph) would occasionally flare up and make you feel like you would be cast into the void, never to return. Dan stayed at the top to usher us in and take photos. Our other coach (Chris) waited at the dogleg to ensure that the lower half was clear before sending the next one down. There were about 5-10 minutes between each skier start, so I waited about 40 minutes to enter. I skied down to the dogleg, took a 2 minute break to let the prior person clear the bottom and skied down to my hooting, hollering colleagues. Snow was firm but grippy and the last third (in the sun) was magical, just carving big arcs down to the bottom. Tremendous experience. Per Dan, we were the only group this year that made it down the Big without a single fall. Great stuff. Incidentally, due to the wind, the tram never opened up to the public that day, so we had Lone Peak completely to ourselves. Magical (and lucky!).

We then skied down to the base for coffee (it was around 10 am at this point) and a debrief/celebrations session. Thus refreshed, it was back on the slopes for a few runs down Challenger before lunch. Snow quality was deteriorating at this point, but our coaches managed to sniff out some choice lines for us.

The afternoon consisted simply of five of us trying to keep up with Dan as he raced though steep tree lines off of Swiftcurrent. It was extremely challenging, but a total blast. On the lift, we were marveling at how fast he was and how difficult it was to keep up. He humbly regaled us with a story of him doing his damndest to keep up with Marcus Caston at Deer Valley earlier in the season. That man is full of some amazing stories.

Overall, this was a tremendous steeps course. Coaches were excellent. Instruction was effective and well designed to get us down the Big (which was most people’s goal). The fact that I had so much fun and learned so much despite the lack of fresh snow is a testament to the quality of this program. It was very affordable ($900) for what you got: three days of high level instruction/guiding, lift line (and especially tram line) cutting privileges, early access (8 am) to the lifts on the last day and early tram access (9 am) for the Big Couloir. Groups were small (5-7) and well matched. I was very impressed with the level of the participants’ skiing. I have done Steep and Deep at Jackson as well as a “steep themed” Taos Ski Week (which were also great experiences), and the overall skill level was higher at this camp. I plan to return next year.

IMG_3874.jpeg

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice report! That's what I call doing it right. Congrats!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Looks like a great camp. That was a great report, too. Thanks.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The afternoon consisted simply of five of us trying to keep up with Dan as he raced though steep tree lines off of Swiftcurrent. It was extremely challenging, but a total blast. On the lift, we were marveling at how fast he was and how difficult it was to keep up. He humbly regaled us with a story of him doing his damndest to keep up with Marcus Caston at Deer Valley earlier in the season. That man is full of some amazing stories.
@Dan Egan offers a great product in his camps.

I recall when he was one of the coach partners in ESA. One year at Aspen he was coaching the top end group (I was in a lower advanced group) Our group happened to bump into him shortly after we saw a side country access gate that said, "Caution, you may be cliffed out". So I asked Dan, "What do you do when you get cliffed out?"
His answer: "I don't understand the question." ;)

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
As a very recreational skier, I'm in awe. What a place and course. thanks for sharing this.

+1. Really nice description, and also really helpful for deciding whether it's something I might be up to (which it would appear I'm not . . . yet).

DerKomisar

Putting on skis
Skier
Always been curious about the range of ability for the class like this. The website describes needing to be an intermediate skiers.
What would say is the minimum ability level needed to make this class worth it and not hold back other skiers?

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Always been curious about the range of ability for the class like this. The website describes needing to be an intermediate skiers.
What would say is the minimum ability level needed to make this class worth it and not hold back other skiers?
Camps like this always split the skiers into groups by ability, so you probably aren't going to be holding anyone back. On the other hand, if the group isn't good enough it isn't going to be doing the stuff Beartown describes. If you really want to do it but have doubts, call the camp and talk to them about it.

Lane Meyer

Booting up
Skier
Thanks for sharing this. I've been eyeing this camp since my first trip there a few years ago. Definitely looking to do it now within the next season or two.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
This is now on my bucket list.

I'm thinking it may be on mine too. Especially if the weeks work out to tack it onto a Gathering.
I've skied some of the steeps at BS, but there were some I didn't get to, or didn't know how to get to. And I didn't ski the steepest stuff as well as I would have liked.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
How steep is the couloir? Looks to be about 40 degrees.
Hard to say. For comparison, it felt substantially steepr than, for example JH Tower 3 which is my personal reference at 38. But it didn't feel otherworldly steep. The steepest bits off Challenger or the other nearby lifts seemed similar (not whole runs, just 3 or 4 turns). The Big is certainly the steepest sustained pitch I've ever been on.

This article claims the very top is 50+ and the 2nd half is 35-40. I've seen claims that one short bit is 60 (which to be honest scared the heck out of me beforehand) but that might be the lip above the cut-in where most people enter.
https://www.ski.com/blog/ski-com-guide-big-sky-resorts-triple-black-diamonds/

Fatmap shows a elevation vs distance trace with about a 1/4 or 1/3 of the couloir around 45 degrees, with a max of 46. (That's a user-contributed route based on a gpx file. The main map just says "40-50".)

Last edited:
TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Hard to say. For comparison, it felt substantially steepr than, for example JH Tower 3 which is my personal reference at 38. But it didn't feel otherworldly steep. The steepest bits off Challenger or the other nearby lifts seemed similar (not whole runs, just 3 or 4 turns). The Big is certainly the steepest sustained pitch I've ever been on.

This article claims the very top is 50+ and the 2nd half is 35-40. I've seen claims that one short bit is 60 (which to be honest scared the heck out of me beforehand) but that might be the lip above the cut-in where most people enter.
https://www.ski.com/blog/ski-com-guide-big-sky-resorts-triple-black-diamonds/

Fatmap shows a elevation vs distance trace with about a 1/4 or 1/3 of the couloir around 45 degrees, with a max of 46. (That's a user-contributed route based on a gpx file. The main map just says "40-50".)

Dan says the top is 51 degrees.

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
As a follow-up to my camp last year, a few buddies and I recreated the camp in a private format by booking Dan as a private guide for three days in February of this year. All very similar level skiers, all able to ski off the tram. We had a lot more of a personalized experience in this format, and skewed a lot more toward guiding than instruction. In COVID times, the simply having ANY guide was totally worth it for line-cutting privileges, but especially for TRAM line cutting privileges. We spent waaaaay more time on Lone Peak this year compared to the actual camp. We did 5-6 tram laps/day on top of a bunch of other skiing. Off the top, we mostly lapped Liberty, Lenin, and the Dictators as that was where the best snow kept piling up (and BOY DID IT PILE UP!). We also did the Big. I feel like the whole thing was kind of a cheat code, because it was way cheaper than the actual camp (three days of private guiding divided by six guys). The only caveat was that a guide can only take 5 people up the tram at a time, so one of us had to sit out each tram lap. Overall, Dan just let us decide what we wanted to ski and get out of his time, and (as usual) he totally delivered on oth the guiding and instruction fronts (as well as his seemingly never-ending trove of insane personal stories and anecdotes). So whether you do the camp or just book Dan as a guide for the day/week, it's the best money you'll spend skiing and I'd 100% recommend it if you have the opportunity. I would recommend contacting Dan directly throu his ski clinics website, and do it early. I filled out the online form last summer, expecting a corporate form letter reply, and was dumbstruck when Dan texted and called me back within 10 minutes. I was sure he'd have no idea who I was, but he remembered all the details of my camp from the previous season. Incredible.

locknload

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Great stuff! Thx for sharing your experience and the nugget about perhaps just booking him directly with a group similarly situated skiers. Did you like this camp overall better than JH's steep and deep camp?

TS
Beartown

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Great stuff! Thx for sharing your experience and the nugget about perhaps just booking him directly with a group similarly situated skiers. Did you like this camp overall better than JH's steep and deep camp?

Both Dan's camp and JH Steep and Deep were amazing. Hard to say which was more fun; it would be like having to choose a favorite child! Steep and Deep had more instruction, and Dan did more guiding, especially in the private group.

PowHog

Getting on the lift
Skier
Looks good. I don't think there's anything comparable in Europe which is lift served, aside maybe from Chamonix and La Grave.

Sponsor