• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

DAKINE outerwear, anyone tried it?

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Has anyone around these parts tried Dakine outerwear? Would love to hear anyones opinion who has tried it.
Thanks,
D

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Tried a few clothing items and accessories. Like other brands, I’d look at construction over individual items. Every brand has some winners and some pieces where the price tag doesn’t make sense with the value of the garment. What pieces are you looking at?

Analisa

Making fresh tracks
Skier
If you tier out jacket options as good - better - best, the Smyth is a pretty true "better" across most characteristics.

From a waterproofing standpoint, Goretex 2 layer is more waterproof than 2.5 layer shells and 2 layer proprietary membranes, but less waterproof than most 3 layer membranes and Gore Pro/eVent. Fabric durability, a polyester plain weave will be more durable than knits, but less durable than a nylon weave, or other weaves like a twill. Taffeta lining protects the membrane really well for a 2 layer construction (and more durable than 2.5 but less so than 3, with the exception of Gore C-Knit). Breatheability's middle of the road, but fabric breathe is way less consequential than pit zips.

Most jackets with a similar construction range from $300-380 MSRP, so it's a pretty solid value, but only if it meets your needs.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I found the Dakine fit a little different. Quality seemed decent, but too long and slim for my shape.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
What is your shape?

5’8”, kinda square upper body & broad chest. Larger thighs than many. I found Dakine pant cut very trim & the upper parts of the pants didn’t feel anatomically cut. The jacket didn’t have a lot of shoulder space and felt more restrictive. I think it was gear designed for slimmer bodies than me.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I just bought their bibs. I am tall and have a gut and these fit well. Long in the inseam and no pinch. The fabric isn’t as thick as the patagonia pants but the bib does not allow drafting up my back. Nice piece imho.

oswaldr2

Getting on the lift
Skier
Quality wise, I'm a big fan of Dakine for the money. Been happy with everything i've had. Mostly duffles, bags and packs, but I did buy some gloves recently and thought they were great. Coat/Pants, fits gotta be #1 for me always. I don't care of it's Arcteryx sold for a song, if it doesn't fit, i don't want it.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thought I would add. Got the 2L jacket to go with the bibs. It is a coat really. Length in the arms is great. The fit is more on the athletic side and requires thought when choosing layers. Got by with a smartwool mid layer and patagonia nano air vest. Jacket fits too. I love the long length. Totally eliminates draft up the back on the chair. If you ever wore and army field coat this a gore tex version.

Sponsor