• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cyclist Death

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Actually, I think the question is "would the same thing happen with similar intensity exercise at sea level?" Or walking around the block at altitude?

True, true. It’s all a continuum on some level, I guess.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
FWIW, I didn't really mean to suggest that this particular unfortunate man's death was caused by altitude. I have no idea about that. But the idea that fitness protects against altitude - that is a dangerous idea I wanted to contradict.

Fishbowl

A Parallel Universe
Skier
FWIW, I didn't really mean to suggest that this particular unfortunate man's death was caused by altitude. I have no idea about that. But the idea that fitness protects against altitude - that is a dangerous idea I wanted to contradict.

That was a conclusion you incorrectly jumped to from my post. My contention was that there were probably more factors at play than just altitude, as the circumstances most likely were insufficient to cause the death on their own.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
That was a conclusion you incorrectly jumped to from my post. My contention was that there were probably more factors at play than just altitude, as the circumstances most likely were insufficient to cause the death on their own.
Actually it is the altitude and not being acclimatized to it. Once you are up and have adjusted your risks at sea level are the same as those in altitude, but until then the biggest issue is the altitude, underlying condition or not. Don’t forget at altitude there is less O2 and also less pressure

In the situation of which you are in your body handles this without issue as in essence you stay (live) at altitude. Your risk would be say live in NY for a couple years training and doing all that is required fitness wise and going back to altitude. Assume nothing has changed health risk wise, altitude would be the risk until you acclimatize, this can be a day to weeks or in some cases never fully.

This is why “Altitude Training” allows a body to become more efficient in O2 carrying and use thereby increasing performance at lower levels. Some athletes do not do as well as others because they do not acclimatize as easily and the risk for future training this way is not worth the minimal gains achieved.

The reminder here is unless you live at these levels or above take it easy, let your body adjust, chances are you’ll be good, jump in full tilt (unfortunately as low land skiers/cyclists/etc we do to maximize our time there) you can be at risk.

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
Actually, I think the question is "would the same thing happen with similar intensity exercise at sea level?" Or walking around the block at altitude?
I'd guess eventually, maybe just a few months later. Ones body can survive considerable stress if there is no underlying condition. If there is an underlying condition, maybe it is only a matter of time.

Dehydration is possible but not likely, over hydration is a more common problem nowadays. I drink very little water on hikes anymore, mainly because I end up giving up my supply to kids who drank all their water in the first 500 yards.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Dehydration is possible but not likely, over hydration is a more common problem nowadays.

How often do you hike in Colorado at high altitude?

Corgski

Getting off the lift
Skier
How often do you hike in Colorado at high altitude?

I know how not to get into trouble in a range of climates. But the fact is I often drink less than I would because of giving up water for those who seem to think that any hint of thirst is a sign of impending death.

While serious dehydration can occur, it is not normal or common for people to let themselves get dehydrated to the point of a medical emergency. You will be seriously miserable and thirsty long before you are at a crisis point. When cyclists are concerned about dehydration they are usually trying to avoid any loss in performance which happens long before any medical issue. There has also been plenty of discussion over whether people are over hydrating resulting in diluted electrolyte levels. So while conditions would have made dehydration very feasible, it is still not among the most likely culprits.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Dehydration to the point that impacts your performance takes very little. In very high performance teams, hydration level is very closely monitored and it is very easy to get dehydrated. As an example a team that competed at the London Olympics, trained Portugal just prior to the event. All team athletes where monitored for hydration every morning, those that did not pass, did not get any beach time (during free hours). One of the coaches told me was very easy to get dehydrated despite all efforts, and once dehydrated even more difficult to catch up.

Additionally at altidude the climate is drier so when you sweat you don’t feel it. Furthermore every breath you take (more correctly exhale) results in fluid loss for the same reason. Any activity that takes us beyond rest can easily cause dehydration if you are not acclimatized.

Add all these different things together you are at risk till you acclimatize. Picking on one or another is foolish, you have to look at the whole and not mistakely suspect an underlying condition, otherwise you can be the next victim.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never heard of an active person suffering from over hydration (water intoxication) in Colorado. Our dry air and altitude makes that extremely difficult and Hyponatremia is probably more likely than over hydration.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I have never heard of an active person suffering from over hydration (water intoxication) in Colorado. Our dry air and altitude makes that extremely difficult and Hyponatremia is probably more likely than over hydration.

I suspect hyponatremia (I didn't know that word!) is what was meant above by over hydration. Could be wrong.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Hyponatremia (low sodium) can be caused by sweating alone but exacerbated by re-hydration with water only. Essentially diluting out the remaining sodium without replacing the electrolytes, ie salt, lost in the sweat. This is why many like Gatorade and similar for rehydration. Electrolyte replacement is probably not needed for routine exercise but for excessive exercise with excessive sweating is probably a good thing.

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hyponatremia (low sodium) can be caused by sweating alone but exacerbated by re-hydration with water only. Essentially diluting out the remaining sodium without replacing the electrolytes, ie salt, lost in the sweat. This is why many like Gatorade and similar for rehydration. Electrolyte replacement is probably not needed for routine exercise but for excessive exercise with excessive sweating is probably a good thing.

That is really going to depend on the person. I tend to lose a lot of salt when I sweat and tend to have lower sodium naturally so I usually use some sort of electrolyte replenishment in at least one of my bike bottles. I usually use Nuun or MiO electrolytes though so I don't add calories. Even when I do want calories during longer exercise I prefer food to things like Gatorade.

Sponsor

Staff online