• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Trip Reports Cycle Oregon 2018

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
I have mentioned in another thread that I was training to do Cycle Oregon this year. I head out to eastern Oregon tomorrow and start riding on Sunday. For those not familiar with Cycle Oregon you can look at this year's ride here www.cycleoregon.com/ride/the-classic

Briefly, it is a fully supported week long ride with 2000 of your closest friends that moves to different parts of the state each year. Last year I trained all summer for my first CO, which was to be in central Oregon, only to have it cancelled for the first time in 30 years because of all of the forest fires and smoke. Since it was still on my bucket list I trained even more this year for a route that is a little shorter at around 380 miles but has considerably more climbing (24,000 feet). I have several friends and even one of my kids going this year so it should be fun, albeit hard work. I will plan to post screen shots of my Strava daily along with a report, as internet access allows in small town eastern Oregon.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Cool. I look forward to your reports. My sister will be there too. She'll probably be one of the later ones rolling into camp each day since she didn't have time to train much. She's ridden the CO classic twice before and the family one once, and she always has a great time. Hope you have a great ride!

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Very cool! Full week, $1000. What bike are you using? I have an age 60+ friend planning something similar for next year, except it's 50 days and goes all across the USA from the West Coast to the East Coast.

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
4E690D7C-9589-4D8C-A3F3-EA3CCFB7293B.jpeg
Specialized Roubaix Expert. I am 59 so I’m sure your friend will have fun.

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Day 1 is done. Overall a pretty easy start to CO except for a long tough climb late in the ride. Below is my Strava screenshot of today’s ride. I am impressed with the logistics that go into this ride and moving/feeding 2000 riders. Beer garden and live music every night. We are staying in a town called Halfway tonight that has a population of less than 300.

Tomorrow should be the toughest day of the week with 80+ miles and 7000 feet of climbing to end up a Wallowa Lake.
5125355A-8B2C-4F5B-897D-ED676055CEDB.jpeg

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
EDDF626C-88C1-4ECF-B83F-D45BBC85BC04.jpeg

Today was a bit difficult but I did short myself a few miles by forgetting to restart my Garmin. Long grinding uphills today but the reward is one of the most beautiful places to camp, Wallowa Lake. To treat ourselves my buddies and I went to a restaurant for a nice dinner and wine instead of camp fare. I’m pretty pleased with how well I did today considering I live barely above sea level. We topped out a little over 600 feet today, which is nothing for you mountain dwellers.

Overall it was a good day and I did better than my buddies, but not my son! Of course, he is 20 and a distance runner and he went out and ran after our ride. I was proud I finished the 20 mile climb “only” 57 minutes behind him! I was even more proud/shocked he waited for me.

A bit lighter day scheduled tomorrow. The CO folks seem to understand you need an easier day after a hard day. Days 2,4, and 6 look to be the toughest.

Living Proof

We All Have The Truth
Skier
The climbing on this trip is impressive, great job getting it done. Looking forward to the days that follow.

20 years ago, I did RAGBRAI, the annual bike ride across Iowa, the experience is memorable as about 12,000 people rode each day. Iowa, at least for the southern route we rode, is mostly flat. I cannot imagine doing 20 miles of continuous climbing as you did on day 2.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice job on Day 2. Any 7k+ day finished feeling good is a damn good day!

Reactions: Ron
TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
While today was not the toughest day on paper but it certainly felt like it. I think 4 days of tough riding in a row was felt. Looking forward to an off day tomorrow.

Today started by awaking to 34* as I crawled out of my sleeping bag and was at 38 when we started to ride. I never thought I would say I thankful to start the day with a long climb. It really didn’t warm up past the mid 40s until late morning. The cold and afternoon rollers with 8% grades and wind beat me down this cold beer sure tastes good!

1202FDBF-CBD9-4577-80BC-41C153150FC4.jpeg
E72D7288-E752-4EDA-8216-158498C52312.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I think 4 days of tough riding in a row was felt.

I feel your pain. Day 4 is seldom my friend, whether it be a bike trip or a ski trip!

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Day 5 of CO was a rest day with an optional ride. I chose to rest my weary body to better enjoy the final two days. We went to the Pendleton Round Up rodeo today and it was great fun. The pink beads were for breast cancer fundraising.

B7AAA2FA-68B9-463E-9486-167D0C780C68.jpeg
1F9E28F3-C03D-4957-A750-46942EFED5B7.jpeg

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Day 6 is complete with the addition of 10 extra miles. Since I am with a group that is camping separate from the CO camp tonight we are 10 miles past the main camp. It means 10 fewer miles tomorrow to finish up.

This morning was cold again with the start of riding at 42*. It warmed fairly quickly and we had a big climb early in the day. I am looking forward to being done but am very happy to have done Cycle Oregon.

A17DAB78-03E0-48F7-8341-D6E21E4DEE16.jpeg
5E8A1AD5-41DF-45A6-A480-97AC534F00F8.jpeg

TS
Jwrags

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
Cycle Oregon ended Saturday with a ride of 48.4 miles and 1686 feet of elevation(my Garmin quit with 10 to go so I pulled the data from another rider). For the week the totals were 390 miles and 23,000 feet of elevation. It was a great week and I was impressed with the organization. All along the course there are SAG wagons, ambulances, motorcycle safety riders as well as police motorcyclists.

The medical presence saved my riding friend's life on Saturday. After riding all weeks without complaint for almost all of the miles and feet he collapsed 6 miles into the ride on Saturday right at the first rest stop. He was not with the rest of us as he always rides slower. A rider who was an ER doctor immediately went to his aid and soon medical personnel were there. They did CPR, shocked him with the AED and he was successfully resuscitated. He was flown to a hospital where a cardiac cath was performed and he was found to have chronically occluded arteries and he is now awaiting heart bypass surgery in the hospital in Portland. We did not find out until his wife called at the end of the ride to ask if I had done CPR on him! Thanks to those who saved him! It was amazing that this happened on some of the easiest miles all week and at the rest stop where many were available to help.

All in all Cycle Oregon was a great experience and I would highly recommend it to others looking for a fully supported bike tour. It is very well run and the food is decent and the beer garden and live music every night fun. They always announce the route for the year in February so if you are interested look on their website.

Thanks to all who read this trip report.

luliski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thanks for reporting. It's been fun to follow along virtually with you and my sister (who also rode). She told me about the rest stop collapse (not sure if she saw it or not). I'm glad your friend survived.

Sponsor

Staff online