• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cut resistance layers

Mogulcraver

Booting up
Skier
My friend cut a 5 inch long wound today on his edge cutting his muscle. I just realized that I need to buy one of those resistance layers I’ve been looking at for so long, no matter the price. From my research I understand that Poc Resistance is the best option. Now to the question: they have this new model (“Base armour”) that costs $500 and $450 per piece compared to the old ones at $300 and $250. Has anyone tried both?

From the product description I can read that the new model passes level 4 cut resistance compare to level 3 before. That doesn’t really tell me anything more than that the new one is stronger. But do you need that? Also seems like the new one is more of a compression layer, but that isn’t that importantly me. Are there other differences?

So is the older one enough? After what I’ve seen today I don’t feel like compromising safety and if I can pay my way from that I’m happy to, but $1000 is a lot of money. Has anyone tried them?

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
What are you talking about?
Injuries caused by sharp sporting equipment and clothing that can possibly prevent it. It does happen. Throat guards and kevlar socks are very common in hockey..throat guards are mandatory under age 18. My cousin was heli'd off Whistler after falling on his ski and nearly bleeding out from a thigh gash.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm going to chime in here. As technology and options become available and adopted by the masses one thing seems to keep rearing its ugly head.

The feeling of invincibility leading to even worse outcomes, till we run out of protections. Until the next cycle begins.

Last edited:

scott43

Skier
Regarding the original question, I've only used kevlar socks for hockey. I mean, they're a no brainer if you discount the cost. They're nearly identical to regular socks, slightly thicker than the socks I typically prefer. I find the risk relatively low so I can take them or leave them. I don't think you'd notice any difference wearing base layers with cut protection, they're basically kevlar fibres which wear a lot like polyester. Up to you if the risk merits the cost. That's a personal decision.

Personally the throat guard is the most important bit of gear in this...but they're bulky. Again, what are the odds.

scott43

Skier
Here's a great way to get built-in neck protection. If you're buying base layers anyway, integrated neck guard like this is not so bad.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
A thread from couple years back on similar topic.

Sponsor