• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CSIA Interski Technical Comparison

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
The Swede's technique bothers me. It looks awkward, almost like an intermediate. But that's why they have this congress. To examine the different techniques around the world of skiing.

I know there are strong skiers there. Maybe their nat'l association just isn't that big a thing there (?).

jimtransition

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know there are strong skiers there. Maybe their nat'l association just isn't that big a thing there (?).

Yeah the Swedes were confusingly bad, they have so many strong freeriders and racers, not sure how that was the best their instructors could come up with.

Cool videos, though doing long turns in (too) soft snow on SL skis didn't really show much, mens short turns were fun to watch with some great skiing (especially Japan, Aus, NZ and GB). I love the Swiss loose style in longs, but don't really think it's ideal for short turns.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Here it is Long Turns Men

Most turns look like Medium turns to me, two groomers wide. Ballou makes some of the longer turns. Basically, I think they tip to max edge angle, and untip back, too quickly. With their SL skis, they need to be much more gradual.

Last edited:

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
Lots of vaulting, up-unweighting in a lot of the countries. New Zealand and US were the most obvious flex-to-release.

Whatever anyone may say, that dreaded up-move is a part of skiing even at high levels.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Lots of vaulting, up-unweighting in a lot of the countries. New Zealand and US were the most obvious flex-to-release.

Whatever anyone may say, that dreaded up-move is a part of skiing even at high levels.
At the end of the day isn't it really all about what is efficient and effective, and produces the desired results? Love watching the Italians ski these days, they seem to be using whatever works well.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
New Zealand and US were the most obvious flex-to-release.
and Japan.
I think a taller flex-to-release or more subtle up-move, accompanied by less angle, would have enabled nice long turns. They were not lacking in terrain to do that. Maybe the shortness of skis didn’t allow it? They ranged from 165-168. Maybe to unstable at long-turn speeds?

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
The Korean's arm position and timing of pole plants looks off to me. Both men and women. Both short and long turns. I don't like it.
I was just looking at the men’s long turn video The Korean has lost it. He must be a capable skier. I think he just lost sight of where the fall line is, so he ends up flailing.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
and Japan.

I think a taller flex-to-release or more subtle up-move, accompanied by less angle, would have enabled nice long turns. They were not lacking in terrain to do that. Maybe the shortness of skis didn’t allow it? They ranged from 165-168. Maybe to unstable at long-turn speeds?

Doubt it.

More likely to be:
1. A steep slope. These guys ski fast but still need to control speed - not spending too much time in the fall line.
2. This was filmed after Interski so presumably the pitch was open to the public and they were leaving room.

The Korean's arm position and timing of pole plants looks off to me. Both men and women. Both short and long turns. I don't like it.
I was just looking at the men’s long turn video The Korean has lost it. He must be a capable skier. I think he just lost sight of where the fall line is, so he ends up flailing.

If I understand correctly the Korean technique is to generate plenty of inclination above the fall line and angulate from fall line onwards. That rising arm is about getting the inclination - it adds to the effort to torque the body laterally around the new outside ski edge.

Here's another guy who uses raises the new outside arm to assist inclination. Not all the time but plenty of times in this run.

Steve

SkiMangoJazz
Pass Pulled
At the end of the day isn't it really all about what is efficient and effective, and produces the desired results? Love watching the Italians ski these days, they seem to be using whatever works well.

Ever since @hrstrat57 started posting links to the Italians they've been some of my favorite skiers.

End of the day is that (and I've said this many times over the years) it's not a craft, it's an art. It's self-expression. There is no right and wrong. There are many ways to get to heaven, not just one.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
the Korean technique is to generate plenty of inclination above the fall line and angulate from fall line onwards.
I don’t think he’s getting much angulation, comparatively speaking.

Edit: maybe he’s making a failed attempt at extreme carving. That would generate longer turns.

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don’t think he’s getting much angulation, comparatively speaking.

Edit: maybe he’s making a failed attempt at extreme carving. That would generate longer turns.

KoreanLongTurnsInterskiAngulation.jpg

Looks like separation and angulation to me. Lower leg to thigh to core to head.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
What’s the purpose of angulation? Tom Gellie says it is to release the upper body from the turn while the feet and skis continue in their arc allowing the body to topple (fall) into the new turn...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
What’s the purpose of angulation? Tom Gellie says it is to release the upper body from the turn while the feet and skis continue in their arc allowing the body to topple (fall) into the new turn...
Angulation, along with counter, directs pressure to the outside ski at or about the fall line in turns where one wants the outside ski to bear most of the load.

One can hang onto the counter and angulation that were present at the fall line while bringing the feet back up underneath you ("continue in their arc") in the bottom of the turn. I bet that's what Gellie may is talking about. That technical combination produces a topple.

Wheee!

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January