• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Pacific NW/AK/BC Crystal Mountain at MLK? Other Ikon base suggestions?

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Sounds like the perfect storm of too close to major metro and terrain that's too good.

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
However, every ski resort I know of is on "mostly rural highways that don’t get a lot of other traffic other than skiers and boarders", that just seems to mean the traffic is worst when it's time to ski!
View attachment 112502

This isn't the Cottonwoods and it isn't I-70 in CO, you wouldn't see a situation like the picture above unless the roads were blocked by something.

You didn't ski Crystal on the weekends at all last winter, did you? That looks like every Saturday and Sunday in January and February to me. And I mean down on 410, not up on the boulevard. The weekend traffic was *substantially* worse than previous seasons.

However, with COVID I think we have no idea what to expect for this season. Will it be even worse because Seattle skiers aren't traveling? Will it be better because Crystal is going to have to end up requiring reservations to limit capacity? Something else? I think we're all just in wait-and-see mode at this point.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, I was stuck in Steven Pass traffic during Jan-Feb weekends.

All of which makes the case that @Slim should book accommodations at the mountain, with accommodations at the base you don’t have to deal with the traffic. Again, there aren’t that many options on the Ikon Base pass that don’t have blackouts on MLK weekend, and I think Crystal remains a great place to ski even when it’s busy.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Yeah, I was stuck in Steven Pass traffic during Jan-Feb weekends.

All of which makes the case that @Slim should book accommodations at the mountain, with accommodations at the base you don’t have to deal with the traffic. Again, there aren’t that many options on the Ikon Base pass that don’t have blackouts on MLK weekend, and I think Crystal remains a great place to ski even when it’s busy.

If you can get there.... Yes, it was hell on wheels last season ( full on season 1 of IKON-landia ) . I promised myself 'never again', but there I went and signed up to do it again. Maybe Mission '21-'22. Still up at the pass during the week.

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I'm going out on a limb and predict that crowds will be down this season for a number of reasons:
  • Limited ticket sales and required reservations
  • Fear of covid
  • Not wanting to hassle with covid restrictions in the lodge, etc.
  • Reduced or eliminated ski school activities
  • Other pandemic hassles (mask wearing, distancing, restrooms, etc)
Not everyone lives and breathes skiing like us bunch of nutcases. Given the options, a lot of folks will just put it aside for the season. Only time will tell if I'm right.

Tony

tseeb
Skier
I have three days at Crystal. I keep hearing there is some big 14er visible from the top, but I've never come close to seeing it from Crystal.

My first day was also my first day skiing in WA on 2/28/2016 and my comments includes "I got the Pacific NW experience as it was raining just below parking lot and still pretty wet at parking, then snowing on lifts, getting drier as you went up... I saw two females who were not ready for the wind get blown off the road between the top of the two (upper) lifts.

My other two days were with Tony Crocker who posted "Crystal is probably top 5 in North America for expert terrain. The obvious 4 IMHO (no order implied) are Alta/Snowbird, Whistler/Blackcomb, Jackson Hole and Squaw Valley (there are others as tough in average challenge, but they are smaller)." We were guided by Larry Schick, who handles the Pacific Northwest for OpenSnow and stayed at the Alpine Inn. Some details of those two days at https://www.firsttracksonline.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12818