• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crudology - Its that time of year

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

James

Out There
Instructor
I remember when that was shot at Big Sky at the ESA. I think I rented K2 Apache Recon. Could have been the Volkl AC4.
The stuff when they're at Abasin in the chutes does not show the steepness.

Drahtguy Kevin

Après aficionado
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Dan Egan ripping the frozen chicken heads is mighty impressive. Lots of real good skiing in the video.

bud heishman

Skiing performance facilitator
Instructor
Sky Tavern
Some footage from our Snowind Pirate camp at Mount Rose during the Tahoe Gathering. Fun times with Bob Barnes embracing the TEPP model for the camp. We should do it again!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
:golfclap: I consider myself very fortunate to ski with or have skied with some of the stars of Crudology. Now, if only I could apply the cardinal rules to my own skiing.

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yea, that's a great video. I must have watched that a million times in my first season.

Most things in my life are complicated, so I appreciate the simple philosophy it preaches.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Love the video too. A couple years ago crud always threw me. The last year, not so much. What a difference a little mental correction and some practice will.

James

Out There
Instructor
To me crud is all the things BB talks about in his Crudology video. Does anyone know what skis any of the skiers were on in the video?
That's a good question.
Opening with Bob in green jacket yellow zipper, Abasin chutes. Bob is on a Hart slalom ski. This is replayed at 3:30, 5:45. Same skis at 4:24
At 6:58 Bob orange jacket, Big Sky? I'm going to guess that's the Hart Phoenix which is maybe 68mm or 66 176ish cm. Could be same at 8:26 orange coat again Big Sky/Moonlight basin.

I'm at 1:53, 7:56 at Big Sky it's a K2 Apache Recon probably 176cm
@cgeib can chime in. He's at 805. That's a Nordica hot rod series, the one around 75mm.

Couple skiers on the Hart Pulse. Maybe Gates Lloyd? at 1100 blue coat. Pulse is 77mm
(the software keeps changing the last two times to smile emoticons so the colon was dropped)

Blue Streak

I like snow.
Skier
Love it!
Thought about it as I skied the bowls today.
"Ski only as fast as you are willing to fall," was ringing in my ears.

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
I'm glad you all have enjoyed that video. Thank you for watching it! It was almost as much fun (not quite) putting it together as it was to ski it. Watching it for me brings back the excitement and sensations of the skiing--a great thing to do in the doldrums of summer. I can't believe that this season is nearly over, in the northern hemisphere, at least.

It's past time for a re-edit, including some of the more recent footage of the past couple years since I compiled the current version of Crudology.

What kind of skis? Surprisingly, perhaps, there are very few, if any, skis wider than the upper 80's, and many considerably narrower. I know there's a lot of discussion and rabid opinions about these things, and certainly, wider skis are more forgiving in the variable conditions of "crud," but the skiers in this video can ski on just about anything they want, so it is interesting to consider the skis they chose--or at least, made work. It is worth noting that for most of the skiing in the video, "crud" wasn't the only thing these skiers skied that day, so they were on skis that they felt comfortable on and that performed to their liking in a variety of conditions.

The skis I used in these clips ranged from 65mm slalom skis to 77mm "all mountain" skis--nothing wider than that. Please don't take that as a recommendation, though--there are certainly easier skis to ski on in crud! Here are the skis I was on in the current Crudology video:

0:29 (green jacket) First Notch, Arapahoe Basin--Hart WC SL (165cm, 65mm underfoot)

1:01 (that's "one-oh-one"--the auto-emoticon "feature" won't let me write it correctly) (blue jacket) at Squaw Valley, California--Hart Pulse (180cm, 77mm underfoot)

1:25 & 1:39 (orange jacket) North Pole Chute at Arapahoe Basin--Head WC SL (165cm, 65mm or so underfoot)

1:55 (blue jacket) Squaw Valley--Hart Pulse (180cm, 77mm)

3:18 & 3:28 (green jacket) First Notch, Arapahoe Basin--Hart WC SL (165cm, 65mm)

4:21 (green jacket) Jupiter Bowl, Copper Mtn--Hart SL (165cm, 65mm)

4:53 (blue jacket) Squaw Valley--Hart Pulse (180cm, 77mm)

5:38 (green jacket) First Notch, Arapahoe Basin--Hart SL (165cm, 65mm)

6:10 (orange jacket) Headwaters Chutes, Moonlight Basin-Big Sky, MT--Head SL (165cm, 65mm)

6:42 (orange Copper Mtn uniform, in front) Copper Bowl, Copper Mtn--ski uncertain (possibly Hart Pulse 170cm, 77mm)

6:59 (orange jacket) Snowbird, UT--Nordica Hot Rod Modified (174cm, 74mm)

8:27 (orange jacket) Headwaters Chutes, Moonlight Basin--Head SL (165cm, 65mm)

9:19 (orange jacket) North Pole Chutes, Arapahoe Basin--Head SL (165cm, 65mm)

9:47 (orange jacket) Ambush (I think) at Keystone--Nordica Speed Machine (162cm, 72mm underfoot)

10:11 (orange jacket) North Pole Chutes, Arapahoe Basin--Head SL (165cm, 65mm)

10:24 (orange jacket) Arapahoe Basin--Nordica Speed Machine (162cm, 72mm)

10:40 (green jacket) First Notch, Arapahoe Basin--Hart SL (165cm, 65mm)

10:58 & 11:44 (blue jacket) Squaw Valley--Hart Pulse (180cm, 77mm)

12:09 (green jacket) Jupiter Bowl, Copper--Hart SL (165cm, 65mm)

12:25 (green jacket) First Notch, Arapahoe Basin--Hart SL (165cm, 65mm)

---

Don't get me wrong--I'm not suggesting that a World Cup slalom ski is a "good" ski for these conditions--merely that it is skiable (if unforgiving) here--and a great, fun ski in firmer conditions. I do own a number of skis in the 90-100+mm range, but I rarely choose to ski on them, except on a real powder day (and even there, I usually find myself on more of an all-purpose, high-performance "teaching" ski--and I have--reluctantly, perhaps--skied deep powder even on the little slalom skis when that's what I had on my feet). The only condition where I've found fat powder-specialty skis to be a clear advantage is in very tight trees with deep powder.

The narrower your ski, the more seriously you must take "Crudinal Rules" #2 and 3 ("keep 'em going the direction they're pointed," and if that doesn't work, "point 'em the direction they're going!")--in order to avoid rule #4 (to get a good taste of powder and crud, you've got to eat some....). Skinny skis MUST slice through soft, heavy snow--they are very difficult to twist sideways into a skid, and even more difficult to manage if you succeed in getting them going sideways. Wider skis are considerably more forgiving in that regard.

Well, enjoy the video, and take advantage of the great spring skiing that still remains in parts of the country. Aspen Highlands closes tomorrow, but re-opens the last weekend of April and the first weekend of May. Loveland and Arapahoe Basin will be great for several more weeks, along with Mammoth, at least. Should be good!

Best regards,
Bob Barnes

(PS--is there a way to turn "auto-emoticon" off? The smiley faces in the times above are not my idea--and I can't make them go away!)

Bob Barnes

Out on the slopes
Instructor
Contributor
Here's a little spring powder skiing to go with Crudology, hot off the press:

All the skiing in this clip took place in the past few weeks, at Aspen Highlands. This is what instructors do when they have a little free time! What a shame it all must end soon....

(I'm the guy with the orange helmet. The woman in the same helmet (white gloves) is Annie Black. The guy in the red helmet is Steve "Hollywood" Henley, in the blue helmet is Gareth Williams, the black helmet is Christian Michelet, and the white helmet is Jonathan Ballou.)

Best regards,
Bob

Last edited:

AmyPJ

Skiing the powder
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the slow-mo parts in that video. It really shows how chaotic skiing 3D snow can be. I really struggle with this--it either scares me too much, or throws me off balance so much (well, both) that I stop to regather myself. Then I often can't get started again. How does one get over that?? I truly have excellent balance, but sometimes wonder if my dynamic balance is off. Competing on horses (at least how I compete and ride) is all about fluidity and smoothness and LACK of chaos. Perfect rhythm is the goal, perfect timing. And total control. I sometimes wonder if my brain is SO tuned into that, that chaotic skiing will never be my thing.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a little spring powder skiing to go with Crudology, hot off the press:

All the skiing in this clip took place in the past few weeks, at Aspen Highlands. This is what instructors do when they have a little free time! What a shame it all must end soon....

(I'm the guy with the orange helmet. The woman in the same helmet (white gloves) is Annie Black. The guy in the red helmet is Steve "Hollywood" Henley, in the blue helmet is Gareth Williams, the black helmet is Christian Michelet, and the white helmet is Jonathan Ballou.)

Best regards,
Bob

Fabulous video, Bob. Thanks for sharing. Made me smile.

Paul S.

Keeping an old man young, one turn at a time.
Skier
Attitash Bretton Wds Wildcat NH/ Powder Mtn UT
Bob B,

Thanks for taking the time to answer my ski size question in such detail. I have found that the more I seek out mixed up snow the more I enjoy it and the more I feel that I am skiing in/through it rather than over it. Consequently, I am now using my Head Rallys (75 mm) more often in crud, instead of wider skis in my quiver.

You have truly change the way I think of skiing. Now, especially on steep crude, I think of turning into the fall line to increase speed and power, instead of think of turning away to slow down. You have made an old man young!!!! Thank you.

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really like the slow-mo parts in that video. It really shows how chaotic skiing 3D snow can be. I really struggle with this--it either scares me too much, or throws me off balance so much (well, both) that I stop to regather myself. Then I often can't get started again. How does one get over that?? I truly have excellent balance, but sometimes wonder if my dynamic balance is off. Competing on horses (at least how I compete and ride) is all about fluidity and smoothness and LACK of chaos. Perfect rhythm is the goal, perfect timing. And total control. I sometimes wonder if my brain is SO tuned into that, that chaotic skiing will never be my thing.

The challenge is to ski it smoothly with good rhythm and in control.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
(PS--is there a way to turn "auto-emoticon" off? The smiley faces in the times above are not my idea--and I can't make them go away!)

I think I did it, but try again. I was going to wait and do it at 10:00, but ...