• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah crowds at Deer Valley article

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I won't repeat what others have said ... I hope ... but there have always been the very wealthy enjoying this sport right alongside the "brown baggers." As far as I remember, only at super ritzy resorts (Aspen for example) could you really tell the difference. I will make a prediction here: pretty much every intermediate skier in the nation (I include myself) has heard about the amazing groomers at Deer Valley. It is the first year of the Ikon pass and it was a heck of a good deal, so lots of people bought it thinking that it will pay for itself in one week of skiing at one of the anchor resorts. Next year, will be much closer to what is considered normal traffic at DV. I did not go to Deer Valley this year - or even Utah - because I have already skied there. I went places that I had not been before. I'll be honest. I doubt I will ever go to Deer Valley again. It's not that I didn't enjoy it, but it's not even top 5 of the places I have skied and there are way too many ski resorts I have yet to visit. Entitled in this context is the belief that because a local lives near by or buys a season pass, he/she has more right to the mountain than the rest of the world. But it is a business that sells day tickets in a capitalist economy. It's for sale every day, so the belief that a passholder is in some way special - sorry, but no. That is simply fantasy. Also, consider, that those who buy Ikon passes are also technically "season pass holders" somewhere. We share our home resorts also.
What you are saying falls under the "bucket list effect". There are people who have had Deer Valley on their list who have checked it off, such as you have previously cleched it off. Now, I am sure there are people who still haven't checked DV off and might have been there nis year or maybe next year... I guess we can just hope that the Ikon pass holders will adopt the "No one goes there any more, it's too crowded" mentality ;).

Reactions: RJS

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Agree with your points. While I agree that I have no more right to ski my local mountains as anyone else, I do think IKON is degrading the experience. It's like anything, there is a price that has to be paid for a "cheap" good. I don't think my attitude that IKON is degrading the experience has to do with elitism or entitlement as much as I don't like the business decision. I'm disappointed with the business decision (and yes I do understand why they would make it). I'm disappointed anti-trust laws in this country in general are lax in my opinion and allow way more industry consolidation than I think should be allowed. I ask people don't take my opinions personally as much as it is that I don't like the business decision. Maybe I am entitled, but as I said, I'd like to think it's that I simply don't like what the business decision is doing to the experience. I think many misconstrue the dislike for the business decision as dislike to them and other tourists and that's unfortunate.

Stuff like this isn't new to skiing either. There was/is the whole debate about Wal-Mart, with low prices forcing out mom and pops, selling cheap imported goods, and paying low wages to employees, etc.
I totally get it. My local ski area (BBMR) was first bought by Mammoth simply because they didn't wan't Vail to acquire it. The first thing they did was stop limiting ticket sales, instituted a $20 fee for parking, fired the entire business department, took away lifetime passes from volunteers, and discontinued season passes and food discounts for season volunteers such as safety patrol, greeters, and hosts. Once they were finished degrading the experience, they sold out to Alterra. I am not immune to the feelings, but it is how capitalism works. Overall, the Alterra experience has been much better than the Mammoth experience.