• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Every airline I've taken skis on has a sporting goods exception for skis, so they aren't oversized. They could be overweight though.

Precisely - overlength not so much an issue (particularly if you have a ski bag that conveniently says 190cm on it) overweght definitely is when you are trying to get everything you need for a trip into 20kg or 23kg plus a carry on.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Precisely - overlength not so much an issue (particularly if you have a ski bag that conveniently says 190cm on it) overweght definitely is when you are trying to get everything you need for a trip into 20kg or 23kg plus a carry on.
Just as an example, I grabbed United's policy here. IME, the airlines are all pretty similar, but you should check for differences :

United accepts one item of ski or snowboard equipment per customer as checked baggage. Equipment must be securely encased in a suitable container. An item of ski equipment consists of:

• Water skis
  • Up to two snowboards in one bag and one snow boot bag
  • Up to two pairs of snow skis and associated equipment in one bag and one ski boot bag
    • If the combined weight of the ski bag and boot bag is over 50 pounds (23 kg), applicable overweight charges apply.
    • A boot bag without an accompanied ski bag is considered one bag and normal baggage fees apply.
First or second checked bag service charges may apply.

Ski equipment in addition to the baggage allowance will be assessed at the current excess baggage charge for a single piece, whether or not it is presented as a single piece.

Ski and boot bags weighing more than 50 pounds (23 kg) or that contain other items in addition to appropriate ski equipment will be subject to the applicable overweight checked baggage service charge. Ski and boot bags that do not contain ski-related items will be subject to any applicable oversize and overweight checked baggage service charges.

United is not liable for damage to water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.

Excess Valuation may not be purchased for water ski, snow ski, or snowboard equipment.

So using the binding system in question to put more skis in the bag - say 3 pair in a 2 ski bag - could technically violate the exception and make you pay the fees. It could also make you go overweight, as stated above.

The other thing is, that "associated equipment" isn't well defined. I think on some airlines, clothing isn't considered "associated equipment" so techincally they could charge you more for putting, say, your pants and jacket in your ski bag. Though I think it's relatively rare that they care as long as you're under-weight.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also, if one of these pressure clisp for a heel doesn't hold in a fall, there goes a ski with out a brake on it.
Exactly. The brake coming off with the rear binding is what concerns me about this solution.

I like the idea of quiver killers, though I've never used them. Wish I had them on some older skis so I could reuse the bindings more easily. I don't fly to ski often, so it would mostly be to switch bindings twice a year for rock season. Kinda like snow tires.

Sponsor

Staff online