• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Eleeski

Making fresh tracks
Skier
As a weight freak, that's extra weight. Plus, there's an extra level of complexity. Bindings aren't that expensive (and you might lose one in travel or shuffling).

Now, if it incorporated a way to adjust fore and aft for some placement options after drilling, it would be a lot more useful. No more stinking demo bindings to enjoy that tuning capability.

Inserts in waterskis are magic. Tighten them regularly but they are so much stronger than just a hole. Binding retention is my biggest problem in snow ski longevity (other than poor snow coverage). I regularly check (and tighten as needed) my snow ski screws as well.

Eric

richddt

Booting up
Skier
Sound cool, but I just mount my skis with demo base plate and get it over with, I have few skis that have marker plates, and few groomer skis that have Powerrail plates.
Marker need a good drill, but powerrail is easy as pie.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
Sound cool, but I just mount my skis with demo base plate and get it over with, I have few skis that have marker plates, and few groomer skis that have Powerrail plates.
Marker need a good drill, but powerrail is easy as pie.

That'd be great if there was a way for consumers to buy demo tracks and demo bindings. But manufacturers refuse to make them available to consumers.

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
This looks like an interesting solution to reducing costs as well as making travel with multiple pairs of skis a lot easier'

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Looks pretty interesting. Pluses over quiver killers = tool free change. Minuses - more flex, stack height and something else to go wrong.

What we really need is manufacturers to start selling demo bindings and tracks to the public but because they are greedy that won't happen.

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Don’t think these will replace my Attack demos any time soon.
One pair of bindings for multiple skis and the mount point of my choice.
@fatbob, my suggestion is find another dealer,
mine is more than willing to sell them rather cheap.
Just wish the plate was sold separately

RickyG

Faction Fan
Contributor
I find it interesting that some think bindings are "cheap" wow skiing is anything but cheap. I like the idea so much I gave them the 60 dollar entry.
It doesn't look like they will make the 50k they are looking for. I think they should have asked for less and grew from there....but as I say...to this 65 year old cheap skate everything looks expensive and inflation is going to be my enemy for the rest of my life. Like the 356 I should have bought 20 years ago...that ship has sailed.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Yep it's the plates/ tracks that are the issue

They are available free with every used demo ski sold.:duck:

I have a pair of used Marker Griffon demo bindings that I could bring to the Utah Gathering if someone wants to buy them.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
I had a line on the surplus UK stock of the old Griffon demo tracks but it doesn't look like the distributors ever found what they thought they should have.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
An interesting idea, but I've never really felt that the ability to swap bindings between skis was a thing that was needed for skiing. I am also of the belief that bindings are "cheap", my go to binding for the last few years has been the Look SPX 12, I can usually get it for under $200 and that's good enough for me. In the last couple years I also managed to collect a couple pairs of Tyrolia Attack 11's and 13's for like 60$ each when Sports Authority was going out of business.

Off the top of my head, you would not be able to use any sort of ski rack that requires the weight of the ski to be supported by the rear binding, and for myself.. that's the way we get our skis to the top of the mountain on the side of a bus. Not that my little local ski area is a big market.. but just saying. I honestly don't see much of a market for these things, to me it sounds like a good idea, but when you think of it a bit deeper it really doesn't do much.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
An interesting idea, but I've never really felt that the ability to swap bindings between skis was a thing that was needed for skiing.

I honestly don't see much of a market for these things, to me it sounds like a good idea, but when you think of it a bit deeper it really doesn't do much.

Wild guess but you don't fly much to ski do you?

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wild guess but you don't fly much to ski do you?
Completely my opinion, but if you are flying to go ski, I'm pretty sure you've got enough money to buy bindings for every ski and pay whatever over sized luggage fee the airline tacks on. And you are correct, I don't fly to ski cause I live in Alaska and can drive to most everything I want to ski.

Ask me again how I feel about it after next April, going to Snowbird for a week to attend NSP's Powderfall event and will be bringing at least a pair of skis for each myself and my wife. My thoughts may change after that trip.

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Completely my opinion, but if you are flying to go ski, I'm pretty sure you've got enough money to buy bindings for every ski and pay whatever over sized luggage fee the airline tacks on. And you are correct, I don't fly to ski cause I live in Alaska and can drive to most everything I want to ski.

Ask me again how I feel about it after next April, going to Snowbird for a week to attend NSP's Powderfall event and will be bringing at least a pair of skis for each myself and my wife. My thoughts may change after that trip.

That's a bit of a wild assumption - consider how much of flyer's ski budget goes on flights, transit/rental cars and hotels compared to the drive up skier. We spend it because we love the sport but it doesn't mean we want to be paying overweight fees because we want to take a travel quiver of 2 pairs. Packing skis flat is also just easier.

I generally reckon I can do a 4 day weekend to Europe for under $600 all in. Add $200 in extra baggage fees and it becomes a very different proposition.

firebanex

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I'm no expert on airline baggage requirements, but the two airlines I use, Alaska and Delta consider over sized luggage to be over 70 and 64 linear inches respectively. Not sure about your skis, but mine are longer than that and your preferred airlines may have different restrictions. Removing bindings with this binding system would not do a thing to prevent over sized luggage fees with certain airlines.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Looks like a VIST Speed Lock
Yes, and I have seen Speedlocks explode on the hill leaving the skier to scour for pieces....and Speedlocks were locked in. Also, if one of these pressure clisp for a heel doesn't hold in a fall, there goes a ski with out a brake on it.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm no expert on airline baggage requirements, but the two airlines I use, Alaska and Delta consider over sized luggage to be over 70 and 64 linear inches respectively. Not sure about your skis, but mine are longer than that and your preferred airlines may have different restrictions. Removing bindings with this binding system would not do a thing to prevent over sized luggage fees with certain airlines.

Every airline I've taken skis on has a sporting goods exception for skis, so they aren't oversized. They could be overweight though.

Sponsor

Staff online