• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Crossing over and C.O.M.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Hi @lelemmac !!!! Good to see you here! ;):wave: Are you coming back to Big Sky for the Gathering?? Would be great to make turns together.

Not sure about the gathering this year, still weighing options for trips this coming year. I definitely want to get back to Big Sky at some point though, so I haven't ruled out the Gathering by any means.

So if we back that out into the real world - LOL - if you are truly feeling an equal amount of your weight on all 3 of those parts of your foot when you ski, in those moments, your weight is actually balanced somewhere in the middle of that triangle - somewhere under the arch. Would you agree? And the only point I'm making is that if we balance more behind the ball of the foot, we are not in quite as good of a "ready position" so to speak, to react to terrain and conditions, because anatomically, the ball of the foot can articulate and operate in ways that the arch of our foot cannot.

Yes, 100% agree. You may have more pressure on the ball of your foot than heel, or the little toe ball. But, if you have pressure on those three points (regardless of distribution, your CoM is still going to be behind the ball of your foot. I'd be really interested in seeing a graph like the one mdf posted, but add in a "during transition" or "neutral zone" bar, instead of just inside/outside.

Skisailor

Laziest Skier on the Mountain
Skier
Not sure about the gathering this year, still weighing options for trips this coming year. I definitely want to get back to Big Sky at some point though, so I haven't ruled out the Gathering by any means.

Yes, 100% agree. You may have more pressure on the ball of your foot than heel, or the little toe ball. But, if you have pressure on those three points (regardless of distribution, your CoM is still going to be behind the ball of your foot. I'd be really interested in seeing a graph like the one mdf posted, but add in a "during transition" or "neutral zone" bar, instead of just inside/outside.

Really excellent and valid point and I would agree except I am also feeling my toes . . . so I think I'm centered pretty much over the ball of the foot.
Not in every moment of my skiing life! But movement away from that balance home is rarely if ever intentional.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am also feeling my toes .

Really really wanted to stay out of this thread. But could resist the toes.
For me, whenever I feel my toes, I am in trouble.
I like to work the whole ski. Mostly through the arches and maybe a bit back. I find that the ski gets enough tip pressure as it goes around and comes around in the turn.

I am not an instructor so what the hell do I know, right?
Just a short, fat, old dude trying to get to the bottom of the hill in one piece.

Sponsor

Staff online